TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
bensonr2

Multi Room streaming failing - 1 way only

I have a premiere xl4 in my living room and a regular premiere xl in my bedroom.

I often use the multi room streaming to stream recordings on the xl4 to the regular xl.

About two weeks ago I was streaming a program. Playback was fine then about 30 minutes into the recording the playback started to stutter severely. Eventually playback failed, I received an error about a loss of connection to the xl4 and the xl4 disappeared from my my shows list.

I had to restart the xl4 for it to reappear in my my shows list on the regular xl.

But since then multi rooming streaming to the regular xl never works.

I can browse the list, start playing. But it immediately starts to stutter then fails.

Over the past two weeks I have tried multiple times to restart every piece of the system.

I restart the router, the xl4 and the regular xl.

I even did a full factory reset on the router.

Now if I stream a recording hosted on the regular xl to the xl4 that plays absolutely fine.

I don't think its an issue of the quality of connection and the available bandwidth of my internal network.

Everything is connected via wired ethernet direct to the same router.

And high bandwidth hd video streaming from other services such as netflix, hulu and amazon work flawlessly on both boxes without any delay.

Also in the living room I have another media streaming box that works absolutely fine.

I have tested downloading a show to my xl from the xl4 and then works but the transfer rate is painfully slow.
bensonr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

switch the box locations and see what happens. I wonder if you have a connector issue.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
bensonr2

Unfortunately its not terribly convenient to physically switch the boxes because I have to move the external hd with one of the boxes to preserve the recordings.

I'll probably try switching out the ethernet cables at some point if only to rule that out but I can't see it being the connection.

If so streaming shouldn't work from either box. And other high bandwidth digital video like netflix hd would also be affected. And as far as I can tell netflix finds the superbit stream without delay every time on both boxes.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Have you assigned fixed IP addresses to both TiVos?

Which TiVo has the external hd?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
bensonr2

The XL4 has the HD.

Unfortunately the only way with my current router to give a static ip is to turn off dhcp entirely which would force me to have to set a static ip for every device on my network which isn't going to happen. My old router allowed me to reserve an ip for each mac address and unfortunately my current one doesn't have that functionality.

But I don't necessarily think its a routing issue. If it was I imagine it wouldn't find the host at all. As it is it seems to initiate playback fine. It just goes so slow Tivo eventually gives up and errors out.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonr2 View Post
The XL4 has the HD.

Unfortunately the only way with my current router to give a static ip is to turn off dhcp entirely which would force me to have to set a static ip for every device on my network which isn't going to happen. My old router allowed me to reserve an ip for each mac address and unfortunately my current one doesn't have that functionality.

But I don't necessarily think its a routing issue. If it was I imagine it wouldn't find the host at all. As it is it seems to initiate playback fine. It just goes so slow Tivo eventually gives up and errors out.
You can assign a fixed IP using the TiVos network setup. No need to use the router except possibly to remove those addresses from the DHCP range.

However, like you I don't believe it is a network issue. The more likely source of the problem is the external hd.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
The XL4 has the HD.

Does your current router allow you to specify a range of addresses to use for DHCP?

If it does, you set aside enough numbers plus a couple more for whatever device might need to leave the house and connect to another network someday.

(Which really would only be wireless devices unless you're into LAN parties)

Even if it doesn't let you assign a range, everything on the network that doesn't leave the house should be assigned a fixed IP, and you do that at the device (TiVo, PC, whatever) itself.

Then you boot all of that stuff before you boot anything that needs a DHCP address.

If it's like most routers you've got 253 different addresses possible after .0 and .255 are reserved and the router assigns itself an address--most likely .1--so after the fixed stuff boots and the router takes note of their presence, there're still plenty of other addresses it can hand out if needed.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
bensonr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You can assign a fixed IP using the TiVos network setup. No need to use the router except possibly to remove those addresses from the DHCP range.

However, like you I don't believe it is a network issue. The more likely source of the problem is the external hd.
What leads you to believe it would be the external hd drive?

If it was the external hd drive wouldn't that cause local playback on the xl4 to stutter as well?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
What leads you to believe it would be the external hd drive?

If it was the external hd drive wouldn't that cause local playback on the xl4 to stutter as well?
The additional overhead involved with sending it over the network might be enough to expose problems with a marginal disk.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
bensonr2

Quote:
The additional overhead involved with sending it over the network might be enough to expose problems with a marginal disk.
That is a good point and should be ruled out at least.

I imagine I should be able to test that. Recordings made before the external storage were connected should not engage the external hd.

I think there are a handful of recordings on the xl4 not on the external. I can try to stream those to test.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
bensonr2

I switched to using a static ip for both boxes. That has not made a difference.

I also tried transferring a recording from before the external storage was attached and the behavior was the same.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
I switched to using a static ip for both boxes. That has not made a difference.

I also tried transferring a recording from before the external storage was attached and the behavior was the same.
Could be the internal drive that is having problems. In this post you wrote "transferring". Do you see the problem on transferred recordings as well as when streaming?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
bensonr2

Quote:
Could be the internal drive that is having problems. In this post you wrote "transferring". Do you see the problem on transferred recordings as well as when streaming?
I tried transferring and it was painfully slow. Like over an hour to transfer a 30 min program.

And if it was the drive, either internal or external wouldn't that affect playing back programs locally on the xl4 itself?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
I tried transferring and it was painfully slow. Like over an hour to transfer a 30 min program.
Another symptom of the same problem. Transfers should be way faster than that. If it can't transfer in at least real time, it's understandable that it has problems streaming.

Quote:
And if it was the drive, either internal or external wouldn't that affect playing back programs locally on the xl4 itself?
You would think so, but as I said, the additional overhead involved w/network activity could expose a marginal disk.

Do the slow transfers happen in both directions?

Some things you might try:

Put all 4 tuners on the XL4 on channels you do not receive and see if there is any change.

Swap the switch ports to which the TiVos are connected.

Borrow or buy a separate switch and connect both TiVos to it. You can get one perfectly good for this purpose for $10 or less.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I have a premiere xl4 in my living room and a regular premiere xl in my bedroom.

I often use the multi room streaming to stream recordings on the xl4 to the regular xl.

About two weeks ago I was streaming a program. Playback was fine then about 30 minutes into the recording the playback started to stutter severely. Eventually playback failed, I received an error about a loss of connection to the xl4 and the xl4 disappeared from my my shows list.

I had to restart the xl4 for it to reappear in my my shows list on the regular xl.

But since then multi rooming streaming to the regular xl never works.

I can browse the list, start playing. But it immediately starts to stutter then fails.

Over the past two weeks I have tried multiple times to restart every piece of the system.

I restart the router, the xl4 and the regular xl.

I even did a full factory reset on the router.

Now if I stream a recording hosted on the regular xl to the xl4 that plays absolutely fine.

I don't think its an issue of the quality of connection and the available bandwidth of my internal network.

Everything is connected via wired ethernet direct to the same router.

And high bandwidth hd video streaming from other services such as netflix, hulu and amazon work flawlessly on both boxes without any delay.

Also in the living room I have another media streaming box that works absolutely fine.

I have tested downloading a show to my xl from the xl4 and then works but the transfer rate is painfully slow.

Did you ever try watching the problem show on the XL4 to see if the original recording was flawed in any way?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
donvickers

How do I get 2 TiVos in same house communicate with each other? One is on ethernet the other wireless. Both work fine other wise! Step by step would be great-Don
donvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by donvickers View Post
How do I get 2 TiVos in same house communicate with each other? One is on ethernet the other wireless. Both work fine other wise! Step by step would be great-Don
Are they on the same account? Do they have the same MAK? Do you have "Video Sharing" enabled on both TiVos? What model TiVos are they?