TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
eddyj

NCIS LA 3/21/2013 "Red"

So I don't follow entertainment news, so I had not heard about a new NCIS spinoff, but 10 minutes into the show, I mentioned to my wife that it felt like a spinoff series setup episode. I guess I was right.

We'll see how part 2 goes, right now, the new team does not seem too compelling.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
NCIS Idaho?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I found them to be meh. Zero chemistry between Kim Raver and John Corbett.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
NCIS Idaho?
They're supposed to live/work out of shipping containers that get shipped all over the place. They have no home base.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Worf

They have a home base. Just they're never there.

And yes, it's a new series. Probably set to replace NCIS - it's getting long in the tooth and despite its ratings, it's rapidly going to run up against monetary issues (the actors will demand more money, and despite its viewership, it isn't advertisers core markets - its ad rates are low for prime-time) and CBS will be forced to wrap it (if the producers don't do it earlier).

Anyhow, from experience, the first couple of seasons of the spinoff will probably be awful. I know I couldn't stand NCIS and NCIS LA for their first season or two, then they really start getting good. The exception might be JAG.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
eddyj

Quote:
NCIS Idaho?
That's exactly what my wife said!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Idearat

I haven't watched NCIS:LA since the first few episodes. When I saw this thread and the first posting I imagined a series based on the movie "Red"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RED_(film)

Pull in some older TV stars and that could be fun, though it it would be hard to compete with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
JimSpence
Just hangin'

I believe I read that it will be NCIS: Red.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
justen_m

Quote:
NCIS Idaho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
That's exactly what my wife said!
Heh! We have the Idaho National Laboratories here, the DoE's lead nuclear R&D facility... before that...

"What is now Idaho National Laboratory in southeastern Idaho began its life as a U.S. government artillery test range in the 1940s. Shortly after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the U.S. military needed a safe location for performing maintenance on the Navy’s most powerful turreted guns (16-inch diameter). The guns were brought in via rail to near Pocatello, Idaho, to be re-sleeved, rifled and tested.[58]
In 1949, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission established the National Reactor Testing Station or NRTS at the site.
As the Navy began to focus on post-World War II threats, the types of projects worked on in the Idaho desert changed, too. Perhaps the most well-known was the building of the prototyp'e reactor for the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus."

Idaho is a major naval power!!! We deserve our own show.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Heh! We have the Idaho National Laboratories here, the DoE's lead nuclear R&D facility... before that...

"What is now Idaho National Laboratory in southeastern Idaho began its life as a U.S. government artillery test range in the 1940s. Shortly after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the U.S. military needed a safe location for performing maintenance on the Navy’s most powerful turreted guns (16-inch diameter). The guns were brought in via rail to near Pocatello, Idaho, to be re-sleeved, rifled and tested.[58]
In 1949, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission established the National Reactor Testing Station or NRTS at the site.
As the Navy began to focus on post-World War II threats, the types of projects worked on in the Idaho desert changed, too. Perhaps the most well-known was the building of the prototyp'e reactor for the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus."

Idaho is a major naval power!!! We deserve our own show.
I went to A1W prototype for Enterprise/Nimitz reactor in 1976, Class of 7601.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I went to A1W prototype for Enterprise/Nimitz reactor in 1976, Class of 7601.
Here in Idaho? Or had it been exported by then? Sorry, way before my time (I was born in 73). FWIW, I deployed on Nevada in 1994 from Bremerton. I thought it would have been cool to have a base in Lewiston, but strategically that would've been stupid.

My demand stands! I want NCIS: Idaho! Think of all the story opportunities on the Snake River. The mountains. The Desert. Mountain Home air force base flying awry and bombing Vegas! Terrorist attacks on the Hoover Damn! (Most of America has no idea about the geography out here, so anything in the southwest is fair game). Poisoning the Colorado River! Secret alien cave paintings in Moab. Foreign attack squads attacking Vegas! We could be NCIS VEGAS!!! Just based in Boise!!! LOL
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Here in Idaho? Or had it been exported by then? Sorry, way before my time (I was born in 73). FWIW, I deployed on Nevada in 1994 from Bremerton. I thought it would have been cool to have a base in Lewiston, but strategically that would've been stupid.
Yep. Lived at 690 I Street, Idaho Falls, two streets from the Mormon Temple. Came back in 1980 for my Navy "C" School. You also had S1W and S5G (USS Narwhall) natural circ.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I don't care where it is, I just want much better acting and writing than NCIS LA! A little less stupid would be good, a whole lot less stupid would be even better!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
I don't care where it is, I just want much better acting and writing than NCIS LA! A little less stupid would be good, a whole lot less stupid would be even better!
I agree with you, they seem to be trying to be too cutesie with smart alec dialog, not smart quips with good writing.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
rosieambles

It would be hard to imagine how the two leads could have LESS chemistry.

I already hate the leaking container premise too. Moving them around is non trivial and of little benefit.
rosieambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
eddyj

I can't remember, was the container on a truck, so it could relocate easily, or on the ground (as in it was moved and dumped someplace). The first almost makes sense, to make moving it as easy as just driving somewhere else, but I think it was the second. And the whole leaking thing was ridiculous. They have all this equipment and water is dripping all over. That was moronic.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I can't remember, was the container on a truck, so it could relocate easily, or on the ground (as in it was moved and dumped someplace). The first almost makes sense, to make moving it as easy as just driving somewhere else, but I think it was the second. And the whole leaking thing was ridiculous. They have all this equipment and water is dripping all over. That was moronic.
I believe the containers were still on trucks. At least the trucks were sitting there too.

ETA: Here is a video walk through of the two containers (Code Name: Laverne & Shirley)

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/...FdB42U.twitter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Heddi said they are based out of Georgia but are hardly ever home.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
busyba
The Funcooker

Assuming Red gets picked up, JAG would still have a long way to go before it could even catch a whiff of the spin-off record, but I wonder if this would be the record for the deepest "spin-off stack"?

Red is a spin-off of NCIS:LA, which is a spin-off of NCIS, which is a spin-off of JAG.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Assuming Red gets picked up, JAG would still have a long way to go before it could even catch a whiff of the spin-off record, but I wonder if this would be the record for the deepest "spin-off stack"?

Red is a spin-off of NCIS:LA, which is a spin-off of NCIS, which is a spin-off of JAG.
Here is an article discussing this matter (not specifically about NCIS: RED, but does mention JAG - NCIS - NCIS: LA)

http://kevinforsyth.net/weblog/2011/...ion-executive/

Looks like this will tie for the longest spin-off chain.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote