TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Ron DeGumbia

Largest drive possible in an eSATA enclosure?

I was originally told back on my Series3 that 1tb was the largest recognized by the Tivo. I now have a Premiere XL4 and I see weaknees offers a 2tb external drive. Is there anything special that has to be done to use a 2tb external drive? And is 2tb the maximum external size for the XL4?

Also, is there a compiled list of working external enclosures for the Tivos?
Ron DeGumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
jcthorne

Only the original OLED S3s will work with generic exteranal drives at all. The THD and all S4 units will ONLY work with the Western Digital tivo expander drive.

I can tell you that no tivo can handle any drive over 2.2 TB due to limitations of its operating system. There were some threads back when the S3 models were newer discussing various drives but that was long ago and most of those drives are no longer available. For the most part, the enclosure other than supporting eSata and proper cooling for continuous use was unimportant. It was the drive and its configuration that mattered.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You would need a WD Expander to add a drive to a Premiere, unless you want to remove the original drive and manually marry it to another drive. I'm not sure if the needed tools are publicly available to marry an XL4 2TB drive to another drive. I don't know of anyone using MFS or similar with this setup. The maximum hard drive size you can use with a TiVo is 2TB, so 2TB internal + 2TB external is the max.

Notice that weaknees requires you to mail in your TiVo to add the 2TB external, so they must be marrying on the drives. And they do keep your existing settings, etc. But for $299, it seems a bit pricey.

The only other option, as I said above is the WD Expander, because a stock TiVo Premiere will not recognize any other type of drive.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
alyssa

dvr_dude on ebay can marry drives
you'll need to send him both drives but you'll get 600 hr's of hd goodness in return

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote