TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
eeng

cable card & expander question

Hello,
I have a few questions on my Tivo premeire. Is it possible for cable cards to be bad? I have had issues receiving all my channels since it was installed. I have called the cable company and walked through their steps only to have the channels go out a day or so later. I get the blue window on the tv that says "channel is temporarily unavailable press select to try tuning again"
on average 10-20 channels are like this. so HD some standard channels.
any advice would be great! very frustrating.

Regarding the expander I found this at BB.com
Model #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN For $99.99

But after reading here they/you recommend model# WDG1S10000N

BB.com reviews "claim it works great" but would like your thoughts

Thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to your advise!
Erik
eeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Sounds more like you need a tuning adapter.

What cable Co and where in the US are you?
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng View Post
Hello,
I have a few questions on my Tivo premeire. Is it possible for cable cards to be bad? I have had issues receiving all my channels since it was installed. I have called the cable company and walked through their steps only to have the channels go out a day or so later. I get the blue window on the tv that says "channel is temporarily unavailable press select to try tuning again"

Erik

Allow me to advise you that the original Series 3 TiVos came with an eSATA port but no official support for using it for anything.

They were planning on doing that in a later software update.

But in the meantime people figured out how to get it to use an external eSATA drive.

So they got forced into not being able to specify which drives were "allowed" because doing that would have "broken" TiVos already out there.

But, when the second version of the Series 3s came out, the HD and HD XL, there was a very short list of approved raw drive models.

The external eSATA drives made by Western Digital which are authorized to display the TiVo logo have a drive inside which is one of those few models on the list.

So every TiVo from the S3 HDs on has this list and checks any external drive against it, and will only work with the ones on the list.

If someone says an external works great with a TiVo, but that external is not one of the 2 WD TiVo-specific externals, maybe they mean it works great with an original Series 3 TiVo.

Which is meaningless if you're a Premiere owner. You get to choose between the 500GB approved model and the 1TB one. And that's it.

Remember, if there's no TiVo logo on the retail box, it won't work with a Premiere.

And you should consider replacing the internal drive with a 2TB one and not bothering with an external at all.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Hello,

Erik
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B003MVZ60S

The official specs state it works with TiVo Series 3 and Premiere. It should work with your TiVo. I've been using it with one of my Premiere's for over a year with no issues.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
scole250

As for missing channels:
1. Verify the cable co has the correct channels/tiers attached to the cable card.
2. Report the channel tuning problem to the cable company. Over the phone, they can tell if the signal strength and signal-to-noise levels are within spec. If not, they should schedule a tech visit to clean up the signal. This is the #1 issue with cable cards w/tuning adapters. It's not just a Tivo problem either. The cable co's have the same issue their boxes on SDV.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
eeng

Thank you for your replies

Tico I do have the tuning adapter and I have time warner cable.

Thank you for the link and info on the hardrive. I will get the western to avoid any issues.

scole250- I do have a good signal according to time warner, but when checking the strength on tivo in the settings it shows it weak, less then 50%. Its a shame the premiere does not hook up like the old Humax using the I.R. sensor changing the channel on the cable box... never had a issue with the Humax besides a loud hardrive after a year.
I will try talking to the cable company again and see what happens.

Erik
Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
scole250

From the TA diagnostics summary page, what are the signal levels? RDC should be over 30 dBmV and FDC should be as close to 0 as possible. FDC +/-10 dBmV should be ok, but closer to 0 the better.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:

Thank you for the link and info on the hardrive. I will get the western to avoid any issues.

scole250- I do have a good signal according to time warner, but when checking the strength on tivo in the settings it shows it weak, less then 50%. Its a shame the premiere does not hook up like the old Humax using the I.R. sensor changing the channel on the cable box... never had a issue with the Humax besides a loud hardrive after a year.

Erik
For the money you'd pay for that 1TB external you can get a 2TB WD20EURS (with a longer warranty) to replace the internal drive and have twice as much space.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:

Erik
As for your Humax being able to change channels on the cable box, it probably didn't face a situation where it first had to tell the cable company to make the channel available and then find out on which frequency the cable company put the channel "this time".

Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
eeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
For the money you'd pay for that 1TB external you can get a 2TB WDEURS (with a longer warranty) to replace the internal drive and have twice as much space.
I will check it out, thanks. Just a little unsure on opening up the tivo... seen it done on youtube, doesnt seem to bad...just have a confidence issue. Plus I will lose all my shows by adding a new internal correct? that was the main reason I was looking at the externals.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I will check it out, thanks. Just a little unsure on opening up the tivo... seen it done on youtube, doesnt seem to bad...just have a confidence issue. Plus I will lose all my shows by adding a new internal correct? that was the main reason I was looking at the externals.
When you install a larger internal drive in a Premiere, you have to put the TiVo software (which controls and operates the TiVo) on it first.

Generally the way you do that is by copying the original or current drive which you are replacing.

You use comer's jmfs bootable cd v1.04 to do that.

There's a whole thread about it.

When it does the copy, it copies everything, including all recordings.

So you don't lose any of them or any of your settings.

And you have the original drive, which has your channel lineup and cable card pairings and stuff, to put on a shelf for safekeeping, and you can re-install it as a troubleshooting technique if ever necessary.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
ejonesss

sometimes the data stream gets corrupt and the card loses the signal and it can be brought back by rebooting the box.

as of the expander i was wondering does the drive have intelipark technology or is there enough data flow to prevent inactivity?

also is the drive inside the unit the same as the retail drive of the same size? because sometimes ebay has the enclosure because sometimes it is cheaper for someone to buy an expander and remove the drive from the expander and either use in pc or tivo than to buy an internal drive and i think i could build an expander by buying enclosure and installing a drive in it.

also has anyone tried any other wd mybook drives or other external drives and had any success?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonesss View Post
sometimes the data stream gets corrupt and the card loses the signal and it can be brought back by rebooting the box.

as of the expander i was wondering does the drive have intelipark technology or is there enough data flow to prevent inactivity?

also is the drive inside the unit the same as the retail drive of the same size? because sometimes ebay has the enclosure because sometimes it is cheaper for someone to buy an expander and remove the drive from the expander and either use in pc or tivo than to buy an internal drive and i think i could build an expander by buying enclosure and installing a drive in it.

also has anyone tried any other wd mybook drives or other external drives and had any success?
For any TiVo newer than the original S3, the TCD648250B, the actual drive inside the eSATA enclosure has to be one of the very few model numbers on the list the TiVo has in its software that it checks against or it will refuse to work with it.

But you can install a 2TB internally in any of those TiVos for about the same money as buying the 1TB external with the TiVo logo on the box, and you won't have to worry about the problems some people have reported having with those external enclosures.