TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
lwolff123

Premier and XL4 multi room streaming

I have seen on the forum that some users have been able to stream multi room on Wireless N. It also appears Tivo may have originally supported it and then changed. My question is for those who have done it sucessfully, has Tivo made a change to hardware or software which no longer allows it or just won't support it. Due to my expected location of the one unit which will be on N when all set up, I think I could be sucessful if still allowed. For reference, the other is further away from router and has ethernet.

Other question is for FIOS users. Does Verizon always install MoCa regardless of the equipment requested and will the testing they do reliabilly inform me that MoCa will work well? Can I expect adding the Tivo bridge on the Premier and using the built in bridge on the XL4 to be reliable or is it worth spending a day in the attic running Ethernet?
lwolff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

The standard installation for FiOS is MoCA. But you can request to have Ethernet. Just make sure you have an Ethernet cable run for them. Although I think they will run the cable as well depending on the tier you have. The 150/65 and 300/65 tiers require and Ethernet connection to the ONT.

When I got FiOS in 2007, the only way I would get it installed was if they used Ethernet for me. That way, if there was an issue with their router, then you can use your own router and not have to worry about any downtime. Waiting for them to replace their router with a MoCA connection.

I can stream between Premieres using wireless N (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) and get identical speeds as when the Premieres are connected to my wired network. But I also have excellent coverage from multiple APs that are not saturated and give me optimum speeds from my wireless connections. But in normal everyday use my Premieres are connected to my wired gigabit network.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
saeba

I've been wondering about streaming as well - can you stream copy-protected recordings? I'm on BrightHouse cable and it seems like almost all content is marked as such. I believe you can't copy such programs over to another TiVo for playback, but is streaming allowed?
saeba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes you can stream (MRS) copy-protected recordings on any cable system with any Premiere

I was having a problem consistently streaming using wireless N at 2.4GHz only, but no issues at either 5GHz or Dual-Band 2.4/5GHz. Then I checked out which WiFi channels my neighbors were using and found I was on the same channel as one neighbor, after switching the router to a channel no one was using, I was able to stream at just 2.4GHz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
danjw1

Tivo's guidance is that wired is better for streaming. The Premiere XL4 (formerly Elite) supports MOCA, but the other premiers do not. You could get a a MOCA to ethernet adapter to allow streaming to a non-XL4 Premiere. Tivo is working on a device that will allow streaming with no tuner.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
lwolff123

Question concerning MoCa

I am still trying to sort out MoCa. Verizon apparently installs a MoCa bridge on router with FIOS. Does that provide my network over the COAX or only internet. The reason I ask is I don't understand if an XL4 is used with internal bridge and a premier is hooked to COAX and ethernet from the router, why is a second bridge needed on the premier? Is that only because the COAX Doesn't connect to my network?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

The MOCA bridge on your router has nothing to do with your internet. It bridges the Ethernet ports on your router to the MOCA network running on the coax. If the router is in the same room as the regular Premiere then you should be able to just connect an Ethernet cable to it and connect it to the router and it will talk to the Elite via MOCA automatically. If it's not in the same room as the router then you'll need a standalone MOCA bridge to get your regular Premiere to talk to the Elite via MOCA or some way to get everything on a single Ethernet network.

Also keep in mind that the MOCA bridge inside the Elite also bridges to it's ethernet port. So if you have any other devices in the same room as the Elite that need internet access you can attach them to the Elite's Ethernet port and they will be able to use it as a bridge to talk to your router.

Dan

Last edited by Dan203 : 08-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

The regular Premiere does not need a moca adapter if you don't want to connect that Premiere to your network using Moca. You can do wireless N or ethernet if you prefer.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wireless N is unreliable for streaming. MOCA or powerline are much better for a reliable connection. Ethernet is best, but unless you have a way to drag a cable to your Premiere you'll have to use one of the alternatives.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
lwolff123

I don't believe I was clear enough. XL4 is in an area not easily accessible to ethernet. Premier is. Tivo says the two must be connected to the internet and to each other. If the the XL4 gets cable and internet from COAX (using the built in bridge, is that only internet or my network and internet from the router? I am trying to understand why all my reading says both devices need a bridge and never says, " unless the second device already has an ethernet connection from the router"
Old 08-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
lwolff123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Wireless N is unreliable for streaming. MOCA or powerline are much better for a reliable connection. Ethernet is best, but unless you have a way to drag a cable to your Premiere you'll have to use one of the alternatives.

Dan
Since I have everything to try N once FIOS is intalled, and the XL4 with Wireless N will be very close to router, I thought I would try it. If it doesn't work, then I am trying to decide whether to spend money trying MoCa or just spend a day in two attics and stringing ethernet around the house between them.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
lwolff123

Quote:
The MOCA bridge on your router has nothing to do with your internet. It bridges the Ethernet ports on your router to the MOCA network running on the coax. If the router is in the same room as the regular Premiere then you should be able to just connect an Ethernet cable to it and connect it to the router and it will talk to the Elite via MOCA automatically. If it's not in the same room as the router then you'll need a standalone MOCA bridge to get your regular Premiere to talk to the Elite via MOCA or some way to get everything on a single Ethernet network.

Also keep in mind that the MOCA bridge inside the Elite also bridges to it's ethernet port. So if you have any other devices in the same room as the Elite that need internet access you can attach them to the Elite's Ethernet port and they will be able to use it as a bridge to talk to your router.

Dan
Thanks Dan203. I may have mis-worded my question but in essence you are saying the COAX will be connected to my network and internet with the router bridge, which is what I was asking. That is exactly why I question why TIVO and other claim the other device must have a bridge too (regardless of an ethernet connection being available in that room)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwolff123 View Post
Since I have everything to try N once FIOS is intalled, and the XL4 with Wireless N will be very close to router, I thought I would try it. If it doesn't work, then I am trying to decide whether to spend money trying MoCa or just spend a day in two attics and stringing ethernet around the house between them.
No need to worry about wireless N if you have FiOS and their router. Just use the MoCA connection on the XL4 and it should work fine with the FiOS router over the coaxial cable that it gets the TV channels from.

I had no issues when I tested mine out with the FiOS router. But I only had it hooked up for a short time. Then I went back to my Dlink MoCA adapters. But now I took out my Dlink MoCA adapters(since they were using over 10 watts each and I needed to drop the power usage on my UPS with my router and ONT to make sure I could get over 15 hours of runtime) and am just running my Premieres on my GigE backbone again.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwolff123 View Post
I don't believe I was clear enough. XL4 is in an area not easily accessible to ethernet. Premier is. Tivo says the two must be connected to the internet and to each other. If the the XL4 gets cable and internet from COAX (using the built in bridge, is that only internet or my network and internet from the router? I am trying to understand why all my reading says both devices need a bridge and never says, " unless the second device already has an ethernet connection from the router"
In that case as long as the network has a connection to MOCA you can just turn it on the XL4 and it should work. You need some sort of bridge between your internet connection and the MOCA network. If the FIOS router has that built in then you should be good.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
ajwees41

Quote:

Dan
works fine for me though I'm using the wireless n bridge to the ethernet port of the premiere and no problems
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote