Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I wonder if they couldn't play the express pass at that point because they already had the last clue of the leg.
I'd also like to know:

1) Who had physical possession of the Express Pass?
2) Is there a rule that says both members of a team have to agree in order to use it? (Similar to the rule that both members of a team have to be at the mat to check in.)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
tiams

Which teams were left when Phil asked the team at the mat if they wanted to give one of the remaining teams the answer? Was it only the Hockey guys and the express pass kids left?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
InterMurph

There is a hint of logic in saying:
  • My goal is to win The Amazing Race
  • I need the Express Pass at some point in the future to help me win
  • Therefore, I need to complete this task without using the Express Pass
With this thinking, he tries desperately to survive this leg without using it. If he survives, then his chances of winning the race remain non-zero, as he is in the race and still holds the Express Pass.

If he is eliminated, then his chances of winning the race are zero. The same, as the thinking goes, as they would have been had he played the Express Pass to survive this leg, leaving them the rest of the race without it.

Bottom line, though; when he got to the surfboard challenge and saw that there was another team there, he should have used it and survived. Because you simply can't know that you need the Express Pass later in the game, while you absolutely know that you need it at that moment.

Dunce.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #34
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
Bottom line, though; when he got to the surfboard challenge and saw that there was another team there, he should have used it and survived. Because you simply can't know that you need the Express Pass later in the game, while you absolutely know that you need it at that moment.

Dunce.
Exactly! Until that point, sure, try to hold it. But if it is the only thing standing between you an elimination? You are an idiot not to use it.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
fmowry

That might have been the easiest challenge a team has ever given up on to go to another challenge. Everything after that was just stupid.

Can the gay guy act any more stereotypically gay? Geez.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
The only sense I could make of him not using the Express Pass at that point was if he was convinced (in his own mind) that the end of the longest 'leg' in Amazing Race history would be a non-elimination leg. And it's almost just as idiotic to think that as it is to not use the pass at that point.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #37
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Which teams were left when Phil asked the team at the mat if they wanted to give one of the remaining teams the answer? Was it only the Hockey guys and the express pass kids left?
I believe he asked that of the derby moms, and I think they finished 6th. I think it was the hockey guys they didn't want to help. Hockey finished 7th. Alabama finished 8th. And John and Jessica finished 9th and were eliminated. Does that answer your question?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
tiams

Quote:
I believe he asked that of the derby moms, and I think they finished 6th. I think it was the hockey guys they didn't want to help. Hockey finished 7th. Alabama finished 8th. And John and Jessica finished 9th and were eliminated. Does that answer your question?
Yes, thank you. It makes perfect sense for them to not want to help the hockey players - they are too strong. Once I was on the mat I would have helped any team BUT the hockey players. If they had helped Alabama and dumbasses had used the express pass, that would have eliminated their toughest competition.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #39
mattack

BTW, they had a very short interview at the end of this week's Reality TV podcast. I admit I didn't pay total attention to it, but my interpretation is that they still say they don't regret anything, but they did talk about how they said a lot more than was shown. That is, they weren't COMPLETELY blaming it on the editing, but I thought they were slightly hinting at that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #40
Azlen

Unless the editing shows them trying to use the Express Pass and were told they couldn't, they can't blame anything on the editing.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #41
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Actually I think it was team Alabama that they didn't want to help. I think the hockey guy got it right the first time, he just had a hard time finding Phil.
mike_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #42
fmowry

There was this elimination interview:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_rac...views/1000436/

The whole thing, since it's relatively short:

"Karla K: Why didn't you use your express pass?
John: Jessica and I thought that the Derby girls were behind us.
Jessica: When we got to the roadblock there was an extra clue in the box, which re-confirmed the thought that there would be another team behind us. We also didn't know what decision Dave & Connor had made, if they would continue or go home.

Jen N: What's your best memory of the race?
John: Skydiving out of the helicopter in Bora Bora. It was thrilling & beautiful.
Jessica: The jet-skies in Bora Bora and the jet boat ride in New Zealand.

Rex B: Did you assume it would be a non-elimination leg of the Race?
Jessica: We didn't assume but of course everyone hopes that when they are last to check in.

Gary P: How does your teammate feel about your decision to not use the express pass?
Jessica: Throughout the whole race we discussed why or why not to use it. We thought the Derby girls were behind us so we decided together not to use it.

Brian S: John, you seemed like you didn't really care that you were eliminated? Why?
John: I did care that we were eliminated. What I intended to get across when I said "I don't need a million dollars" didn't get across. What I intended when I said that was based around the word "Need." What I was trying to note was that everyone in the race - none of us "need" the million dollars. We wanted it, we were competing hard for it. After running around the world and having your view expanded it makes it more clear than ever how fortunate all of us are.

Jeffrey C: What was the hardest task you encountered during the entire race?
John: Building the fruit offering.
Jessica: It was long and tedious and we weren't sure how to build it correctly. We kept getting denied and they couldn't tell us what we were doing wrong.."
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #43
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Jeffrey C: What was the hardest task you encountered during the entire race?
John: Building the fruit offering.
Jessica: It was long and tedious and we weren't sure how to build it correctly. We kept getting denied and they couldn't tell us what we were doing wrong.."
This detour was the exception to the normal strategy. In general given two tasks, you're usually better off taking the determinate task. In this case, the river sand tasks. It is finite. The other tasks is not and that generally allows for a wide variation in how long it can take. If you're lucky it can be fast or in this case, it can be very long. It appears that they really edited it so that it wasn't clear how long they had been there and how many times it was rejected before they swapped tasks.

Still, I'd have immediately used the express when I got to the next task. They knew that they had done both sides of the detour and had to be near the back.
rosieambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieambles View Post

This detour was the exception to the normal strategy. In general given two tasks, you're usually better off taking the determinate task. In this case, the river sand tasks. It is finite. The other tasks is not and that generally allows for a wide variation in how long it can take. If you're lucky it can be fast or in this case, it can be very long. It appears that they really edited it so that it wasn't clear how long they had been there and how many times it was rejected before they swapped tasks.
I can't believe how many teams chose the fruit detour. When Phil explained the tasks, my wife and I both said, "sand" and then we were shocked to see nearly everyone choose fruit. I wonder what was in the detailed description that made everyone not choose sand.

Quote:
Still, I'd have immediately used the express when I got to the next task. They knew that they had done both sides of the detour and had to be near the back.
Why would they wait until they got to the next task? They should have turned in the express pass while at the fruit thing and never gone to the sand detour.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #45
eddyj

Quote:
I can't believe how many teams chose the fruit detour. When Phil explained the tasks, my wife and I both said, "sand" and then we were shocked to see nearly everyone choose fruit. I wonder what was in the detailed description that made everyone not choose sand.
That was my reaction too. But wasn't there a team that wanted sand but the cab driver did not know where that was, but knew where the fruit thing was?
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
That was my reaction too. But wasn't there a team that wanted sand but the cab driver did not know where that was, but knew where the fruit thing was?
Hockey dudes.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #47
Honora

Quote:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_rac...views/1000436/

The whole thing, since it's relatively short:

"Karla K: Why didn't you use your express pass?
John: Jessica and I thought that the Derby girls were behind us.
Jessica: When we got to the roadblock there was an extra clue in the box, which re-confirmed the thought that there would be another team behind us. We also didn't know what decision Dave & Connor had made, if they would continue or go home.
Hasn't it been already detemined and confirmed that they put extra clues in the boxes so you really can't tell where you are in the standings?
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #48
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post

Hasn't it been already detemined and confirmed that they put extra clues in the boxes so you really can't tell where you are in the standings?
I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed, but it's long been suspected. But if John and Jessica aren't fans of the show and have always been near the front of the pack, they wouldn't know that.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #49
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
I don't know what has been said officially, but I remember a case either last season or the one before where we saw onscreen that there were extra clues. It was one of the Hawaii legs, and the clues were spread out in a fan shape so they were easy to count. IIRC the teams showed up at a beach to get a surfing lesson. It was easy to see that there were more clues than teams, and someone here remarked on that in the thread for that episode.

I think that if you take the last clue, you'd be wise to assume that you were last, but the presence of more clues doesn't imply that there are other teams behind you.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #50
laria
Librocubicularist

I would have expected there to be a bunch of clues left in the box... it was a detour, everyone could have gone to the dirt challenge.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #51
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I would have expected there to be a bunch of clues left in the box... it was a detour, everyone could have gone to the dirt challenge.
No, this was at the roadblock (surf shop), and not the detour.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #52
fmowry

One thing is for certain. There were more clues in the box than there were in John's head.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #53
BrandonRe

Quote:

Brian S: John, you seemed like you didn't really care that you were eliminated? Why?
John: I did care that we were eliminated. What I intended to get across when I said "I don't need a million dollars" didn't get across. What I intended when I said that was based around the word "Need." What I was trying to note was that everyone in the race - none of us "need" the million dollars. We wanted it, we were competing hard for it. After running around the world and having your view expanded it makes it more clear than ever how fortunate all of us are.
Regardless of his strategic abilities, I do admire his perspective here.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #54
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
Regardless of his strategic abilities, I do admire his perspective here.
If he had been somewhere like Africa instead of places like Bora Bora and New Zealand, there might have been some more meaning behind it.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #55
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Probably one of the dumbest moves in Amazing Race history !!...
This race has more stupid teams then I remember in quite awhile....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #56
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
.... He's a flake but a well meaning flake.
BS...he's arrogant, self-serving and wouldn't admit he made a mistake.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #57
GoHalos

Phil talks about the "Oy Vey" moment from this season (Video Link)

Here is Phil talking in a radio interview about the non-use of the express pass. Although he still says that he was "bamboozled" (which seems like an odd way of putting it -- perhaps a Kiwi-ism?*) about them not using the pass, he does kind of explain why it can happen (fatigue, time of day, etc.).

*I think of bamboozled as being "tricked", but he seems to be using it as "surprised".
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote