TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
jjd416

Defective Series2 with "tiling"

My Series2 has been giving me problems lately. It fails to transfer full recordings to my Premieres, even though it recorded the full show. I can watch the full recording on the Series2, but it only transfers part of the recording to my Premieres. It started happening every once in awhile, now it happens all the time, and with every new recording too. Sometimes when I try to transfer a recording to either one of my two Premieres, it makes the Premieres reboot.

Also, the Series2 is VERY slow to navigate. It takes 1 minute or more for Tivo Central to load, and takes more than 1 minute to load my play list. Everything takes forever to load. Also, there is a lot of picture tiling when navigating around different TiVo screens. I haven't noticed any tiling on live TV.

I've already had to replace the hard drive about a year ago. I just deleted everything and did a complete new setup, but the box still acts the same.

Any idea of what is wrong with it?
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Most likely, its a weak signal issue that's causing blotchy recordings.

As to the Tivo slowness, Series 2 is pretty slow compared to a Series 3, which is slower than a Premiere.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
jjd416

Now when I reboot the box by plugging it back in, I get the "Powering Up" screen for about 30 seconds and then it changes to a blank white screen. It never moves past the blank white screen.

Before the blank white screen that just started happening, my recordings and live TV never had tiling. Only the TiVo menu screens had tiling. Now I can't get to live TV or recordings due to the blank white screen.

When I say the box was slow, I mean minutes to change TiVo menu screens. I have two Series2 boxes, so I am familiar with how slow the typical Series2 box behaves. This defective box is MUCH slower than what is considered normal.
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Two things (mainly) can go wrong with a tivo. Hard drives and power supplies.

In this case, I'm guessing power supply due to a multitude of odd behaviors. Open it up and look for bad caps and measure the voltages. But, it would not hurt to test the drive as well, the white screen is likely when it is trying to read from the disk (and when power use would increase).
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
3stan

I have a perfectly good series2 sitting in my closet if anyone is interested. Pick-up far north chicago for free or just pay shipping plus whatever the UPS store would charge to box it. Will throw in remote and tivo brand "G" wireless adaptor.

Last edited by 3stan : 03-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.
3stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stan View Post
I have a perfectly good series2 sitting in my closet if anyone is interested. Pick-up far north chicago for free or just pay shipping plus whatever the UPS store would charge to box it. Will throw in remote and tivo brand "G" wireless adaptor. suttner at comcast dot net.
That's very kind of you but could we trouble you to look at the sticker on the back and give us the model number that starts with TCD?

There were several different S2s, and if someone wants it for the power supply, or to transfer the crypto chip from a lifetimed unit, they need to know if it's the right one or not.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd416 View Post
Now when I reboot the box by plugging it back in, I get the "Powering Up" screen for about 30 seconds and then it changes to a blank white screen. It never moves past the blank white screen.

Before the blank white screen that just started happening, my recordings and live TV never had tiling. Only the TiVo menu screens had tiling. Now I can't get to live TV or recordings due to the blank white screen.

When I say the box was slow, I mean minutes to change TiVo menu screens. I have two Series2 boxes, so I am familiar with how slow the typical Series2 box behaves. This defective box is MUCH slower than what is considered normal.
It should show the welcome screen for at least 60 seconds.

You need to lift the lid and while you're running the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on the hard drive (connected to not a GigaByte brand PC motherboard), you need to examine the power supply for "capacitor disease".

Wikipedia has an article on it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
3stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That's very kind of you but could we trouble you to look at the sticker on the back and give us the model number that starts with TCD?

There were several different S2s, and if someone wants it for the power supply, or to transfer the crypto chip from a lifetimed unit, they need to know if it's the right one or not.
TCD649080. Was in use for less than 2 years. I Replaced it with a S3 HD awhile ago. Would rather get it to somebody that can do something with it than give it to Best Buy for "who knows what" recycling.
3stan is offline   Reply With Quote