TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
TiVo and my new Boston Sound system help needed!

I picked up a sound bar from Woot last week. A Boston acoustics, TVee model 25 soundbar and subwoofer. I have had problems with the sound in my tv for the last year...not sure if it was my hearing or the tv.

Anyway, my friend hooked it up as the manual said, and audio went into the TiVo and sound plays through it. Unfortunately, the TiVo remote does not control the volume for the sound bar. I am not sure what I need to do to get the soundbar and the TiVo remote talking to each other. The instruction manual had some directions and I followed those but no good. No remote came with the system.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I didn't know if I needed to change input or reconfigure something within the TiVo system to make it recognize the new sound system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
ggieseke

Apparently that soundbar doesn't come with a remote. It's a "learning" system that you train to use whatever codes your existing remote uses.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Docum...TVee25_MAN.pdf

Program the TiVo remote to an easy-to-remember code like 0001, then use it to train the BA soundbar. I would not use the same code that you currently use for the TV or it will control both of them.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Steve-O

Ever get this worked out? I just bought a BA Tvee 25 from Amazon.com (couldn't resist; price just dropped to $130) and hoping I can use my TiVo Glo to control this remote-learning soundbar. Would like to know somebody's if done it before!

Edit: Forget it. After reading some more reviews on the web, I cancelled the order due to sound quality concerns (too much midrange, too little high-end, makes it sound muffled).

Edit2: Changed my mind again. Ordered it. My 2nd choice soundbar (Samsung E450) gets just as mixed reviews. I'll take my chances on the BA and report back.

Last edited by Steve-O : 01-02-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Update
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
SNJpage1

Dont know much about sound bars. Where do they get plugged into for supplying the audio to them?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Dont know much about sound bars. Where do they get plugged into for supplying the audio to them?
There are 'audio out' connections on your TV (or at least there should be).

Connect the audio out on your tv to the input on your soundbar using the analog connector (red and white wires).

On your TV menu, go to the "Audio" settings. Somewhere in there is an option for "Fixed" or "Variable" outputs. The "Fixed" option sends the audio to your TV speakers and the "Variable" option sends the signal to an external device, like your soundbar. The default setting is Fixed (of course). Change it to "Variable".

You control the volume on the soundbar using the TV volume.

It's pretty simple, but it won't work with a digital signal (ie - optical cable)

DISCLAIMER:If you have an LG TV all bets are off.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Steve-O

I ordered the Boston Acoustics TVee 25 soundbar from Amazon.com on Wednesday, and it arrived two days later, even using SuperSaver shipping. I set it up tonight on my LG 47LM4700 television, replacing the bundled LG NB20202A soundbar on the TOSlink optical connection. I have a TiVoHD and a TiVo Glo C00212 remote.

I am happy to report that the TVee 25 was simple to set up (the included subwoofer is wireless) and "teaching" it using the TiVo Glo remote was simple and successful. I am now able to use the TiVo Glo to raise and lower the volume, and mute it. I also programmed the blue "B" button on the remote to power on/off the soundbar. All these functions worked throughout the hour or so I was playing tonight. The question is whether the programming will persist; only time will tell.

The sound quality is acceptable. The wife wouldn't like too much bass, so I have the sub turned way down for just subtle effect. The overall sound of the TVee 25 has more presence (midrange) when compared to the tinny built-in speakers of the LG TV, but, as other reviews have reported at Amazon, the top end is a bit lacking. Not as much as I had feared, based on the "idiot's review" at AVS Forum. For the price I paid (about $130 for a $350 MSRP kit, which usually sells for about $180 or more on various web sites) this is really not much compromise. Also, I am not experiencing the squeaks, pops, or other noises which other users have reported.

With the TVee 25, I have been to achieve a single point of control (the TiVo Glo remote) for both television and soundbar, which I was not able to do with the bundled LG soundbar.

I suspect a lot of LG TVs were sold this holiday season. Based on one evening's limited experience, I can recommend the TVee 25 as a workable sound solution for TiVo users with the Glo remote, and who, like me, have an LG television.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote