TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
brn2rnjk1

Cablevision and Tivo question

We have 2 Tivo Series 2 boxes. One is dying and we will need to replace. Is there a way to get HD Tivo without a Cablecard and use my box? I thought Cablecards were being phased out which means go with Cablevision DVR (which I don't want) or stay with Series 2. Thanks.
brn2rnjk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Cable cards are not being phased out. Cable companies are required by the FCC to offer them.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
blacknoi

I have 2 tivo HDs on Cablevision NJ as well as an HD HomeRun Prime, all with cablecards.

If you buy a tivo HD / premier, you can just go to a walkin center and ask for a cablecard, they are $2/month to rent in my area.

I have rarely had issues due to the cablecards.

Most recently I had to replace my hard drive and had to call back in to re-pair the card to the Tivo. Other than that, I can't even remember the last time I had a cablecard issue.

Cablevison is in the middle of phasing out their remaining analog channels so even if you only used analog today, you'll only get some unencrypted programming after the remaining analogs are shut off. Plus w/o a cablecard, unencrypted QAM channels don't get guide data.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...0box/related/1
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
I have 2 tivo HDs on Cablevision NJ as well as an HD HomeRun Prime, all with cablecards.

If you buy a tivo HD / premier, you can just go to a walkin center and ask for a cablecard, they are $2/month to rent in my area.

I have rarely had issues due to the cablecards.

Most recently I had to replace my hard drive and had to call back in to re-pair the card to the Tivo. Other than that, I can't even remember the last time I had a cablecard issue.

Cablevison is in the middle of phasing out their remaining analog channels so even if you only used analog today, you'll only get some unencrypted programming after the remaining analogs are shut off. Plus w/o a cablecard, unencrypted QAM channels don't get guide data.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...0box/related/1
I am also with Cablevision NJ and I have never had a problem with the cablecards. I have 2 in the S3, 2 in the HD (don't ask) and 1 Mcard in Happauge's Win DVR. All work great.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
mlear

I also have cablevison in nj (Piscataway) and I've noticed a problem where the TiVo starts recording channels in the 1000's. It sort of sticks to that channel and sometimes it ties up a tuner.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that.
mlear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlear View Post
I also have cablevison in nj (Piscataway) and I've noticed a problem where the TiVo starts recording channels in the 1000's. It sort of sticks to that channel and sometimes it ties up a tuner.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that.
I have not noticed that, I thought the channels in the 1000's were for SD. I unchecked all SD channels from my Tivo to get the guide more focused.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I have Cablevision in NY and have had an S3 with cablecards since 2006. I've never had an issue with the cards. Back then it required a truck roll to install the cards but they have been available at the walk-in centers for at least a year now.
snowjay is online now   Reply With Quote