TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
jeff92k7

How I Met Your Mother - "The Ashtray" OAD 02/18/2013

So kindergarten teachers aren't worth anything? I find that offensive. Teachers are some of the best, most dedicated, influential people in our society. Their value is far higher than anything that an art critic contributes to society. 'Thank you' to all the teachers out there. Shame on the writers for this horrible, horrible episode.

As for the rest of the episode... "Filler". Nothing to see here, move along.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Amnesia
The Question

Why "shame to the writers"? The Captain is the one who put down teachers and he's hardly the most sympathetic character. Lily was unfulfilled being a teacher not because there's anything wrong with it, but because it wasn't her dream---her dream was to be an artist.
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I'll come back to the kindergarten thing.

But I disagree as a whole about the episode. I've been among those critical of HIMYM lately, so I'm happy to say I really enjoyed this one and thought it was among the best eps of the season. I thought the jokes landed, the signature "unreliable narrator" format of the show was used well here -- where lately it has been a pretty tired device, used chiefly to put off the introduction of the mother -- and even the Captain (a character I didn't have much use for the first time around) was well used. Good job overall.

As far as Lily... we've had a least a bit of groundwork laid recently that she is not happy with her life, so on that basis I can buy this otherwise-out-of-nowhere identity crisis. I certainly will have some problems with the art expert angle if she up and quits the teaching job. Not because of a value judgment about kindergarten teachers, but because it's the middle of the school year, it's quite a flier to take without consulting your husband, etc. And regardless, I think it's a stretch to say this development is a commentary on the worth of teachers. It's simply an expression by this character that she never really wanted to be a teacher all that much. Nothing wrong with that.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Lily has a past with art. Didn't she like disappear for a while one season to become an artist or something? Maybe she went to art school?

Her dream was to become an artist. She settled on becoming a teacher. No matter know noble the job, there is nothing wrong with wanting to do something else. Wanting to persue your dream.

As to the episode, I thought it was a hilarious episode. I laughed out loud multiple times and I rarely laugh out loud watching TV.

If you thought this was a filler episode, you should probably just stop watching. What exactly is it filling?? Is this another one of those comments from someone that just can't wait to meet the mother?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
bdmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
So kindergarten teachers aren't worth anything? I find that offensive. Teachers are some of the best, most dedicated, influential people in our society. Their value is far higher than anything that an art critic contributes to society. 'Thank you' to all the teachers out there. Shame on the writers for this horrible, horrible episode.

As for the rest of the episode... "Filler". Nothing to see here, move along.
Perhaps you meant to say that "some" teachers are of very high value. There are the usual do-as-little-as-possible, job-for-life, can't-be-fired, endless- pension-that-drains-the-taxpayers types also. At least an art critic doesn't usually grab his salary out of my pocket.
bdmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
What exactly is it filling?? Is this another one of those comments from someone that just can't wait to meet the mother?
Oh I can wait to meet the mother. But to me, this series is supposed to be a very long story arc that is working towards an eventual conclusion. A filler episode is one that (seemingly) does nothing towards advancing the overall story arc. Filler episodes can be good or can be bad. They just "fill" the time slot. In most comments, when referencing an episode as a filler episode, it is intended to imply that the episode was unnecessary and viewed mostly negatively by the person posting the comment - me in this case. Yes, I viewed this episode as mostly pointless, but there have been many, many "filler" episodes throughout the series that have been quite good (in my opinion).

A good episode example of a "filler" episode is in the series "LOST". Do you recall the episode with Nikki and Paulo in Season 2? That was filler at it's finest. It focused on two characters, who had previously not been mentioned, and were dead by the end of the episode. It did nothing to advance the story, or backstory of any of the main characters.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I must not have been in the right mood for this episode, I was pretty much bored through the whole thing.

Several seasons ago the whole 'same-story-different-perspective' would've been fresh, but I think it is played out. I found myself dreading the same dialogue over and over again.

And even though Ted was high on pot, how could he think the remote control was a harpoon gun? That seemed just too far out there to me.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I must not have been in the right mood for this episode, I was pretty much bored through the whole thing.
Same..
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'll jump in on the "they're finally getting better again" group, but the writers are getting close to overusing the unreliable narrator this season, it's great when used occasionally, but this is 2 recent episodes that relied very heavily on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I remember little of it, and I WAS paying attention.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I remember little of it, and I WAS paying attention.
Were you eating a giant sandwich at the time?
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
kettledrum

I thought it was pretty funny how Ted screamed like a little girl each time he saw the Captain.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Ment

How does a mook like Ted get so many girls, thats more unbelievable than Lilly dropping her job be an art consultant.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Amnesia
The Question

IMO, Ted's better looking than Drew Carey and he definitely had some hot girlfriends (of course, he was also a writer/producer on the show, so that helps)
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
IMO, Ted's better looking than Drew Carey and he definitely had some hot girlfriends (of course, he was also a writer/producer on the show, so that helps)
I rarely watched the Drew Carey show but Drew was an alpha compared to Ted.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
So kindergarten teachers aren't worth anything? I find that offensive. Teachers are some of the best, most dedicated, influential people in our society. Their value is far higher than anything that an art critic contributes to society.
I agree with your last sentence… But a kindergarden teacher? Aren't they really more of a glorified baby sitter? If you had said even a few grades higher in elementary school….

Kids aren't learning to read or do numbers or anything that early, are they?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
jamesl

the best part was learning that Barney actually was there
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I agree with your last sentence… But a kindergarden teacher? Aren't they really more of a glorified baby sitter? If you had said even a few grades higher in elementary school….

Yes. Kindergarten children learn letters, numbers, simple writing (short words, their name), simple math (terms and concepts), and perhaps most importantly, they learn how to interact well with others in a structured school environment. Kindergarten teachers have their hands full teaching kids that age to act appropriately and stay on task.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was waiting for the Captain to start doing some weird yawning gesture like Kyle McLaughlin was doing on The Good Wife.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I think it's a big stretch to go from "you don't know anything about art because you are kindergarten teacher" to "kindergarten teachers are worthless."

I enjoyed this episode. The unreliable narrator stuff is always amusing to me in HIMYM.

One thing I didn't like is that they showed billowing smoke clouds as they were eating a sandwich. They haven't done that in the past and to me it made the joke way less effective than it usually is.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Trying to figure out if your comment is sarcasm or not.....
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
JasonLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
the best part was learning that Barney actually was there
Barney wasn't actually there. I think when Lily was recounting her recent interaction with the Captain she added that bit for Barney's sake.

I, for one, really enjoyed this episode. To me it was classic HIMYM. And anything that moves a character onto a new path in his/her life doesn't feel like filler.
JasonLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLP View Post
Barney wasn't actually there. I think when Lily was recounting her recent interaction with the Captain she added that bit for Barney's sake.
Yeah, it was painfully clear they just made that up to appease Barney.

But then the Captain referred to some archduke (or whatever) being there... and then we saw the tag with him actually doing it. So who knows. Maybe the top did fall over.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #24
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
But then the Captain referred to some archduke (or whatever) being there... and then we saw the tag with him actually doing it.
Exactly; I think the idea was that he really was there, even if Lily was just trying to make him feel better.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #25
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmarine View Post
Perhaps you meant to say that "some" teachers are of very high value. There are the usual do-as-little-as-possible, job-for-life, can't-be-fired, endless- pension-that-drains-the-taxpayers types also. At least an art critic doesn't usually grab his salary out of my pocket.
Bingo. Lets stop acting like every teacher is a underpaid hero because that simply isn't true.

I thought this episode was pretty good, I enjoyed Barneys big payoff at the end.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote