TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
dave13077

Cablecard Firmware update

When I turned on my Premiere XL4 this morning the black and gray cable card screen was displayed. it said "Firmware update failed". It would not respond to remote commands at all. I check my regular 2 tuner Premiere in my den and it was the same. I pulled the plug on both and they rebooted. After they came to the menus both units just keep flashing back and forth between the menus and cablecard screens. The update progress was increasing so I just let them run. After about 20 minutes the menus came back and everything worked fine. Anyone else have a firmware update? I have Time Warner Cable in Central NY.
dave13077 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
When I turned on my Premiere XL4 this morning the black and gray cable card screen was displayed. it said "Firmware update failed". It would not respond to remote commands at all. I check my regular 2 tuner Premiere in my den and it was the same. I pulled the plug on both and they rebooted. After they came to the menus both units just keep flashing back and forth between the menus and cablecard screens. The update progress was increasing so I just let them run. After about 20 minutes the menus came back and everything worked fine. Anyone else have a firmware update? I have Time Warner Cable in Central NY.
I've only had my new Premiere for about a month. Less than a week after I got it, after resolving issues with it not being authorized for certain channels, it summarily started a firmware upgrade on a Friday night that killed the first 10 minutes or so of a scheduled recording...I was *not* happy. But since then all seems fine. And it didn't happen on our older TiVo HD's card.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Welcome to the world of dependence on cable cos that wish TiVo would vanish but are forced to "support" it with CC and TA. Just call your Cable co support -- I'm sure they can explain everything clearly and can fix it quickly.

Sorry --- if I had any positive suggestions I would certainly give them. You could (and should) file a complaint with the FCC about this experience, although they have long ago realized that CC and TA are a failed approach. Allvid is their next approach and the cable cos are well on their way to sabotaging that too. It's nothing personal -- they just want to control the cable TV system completely, including the customer's in-home equipment.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Sorry --- if I had any positive suggestions I would certainly give them. You could (and should) file a complaint with the FCC about this experience
No, he should not. This is a very minor, one time event. I cannot count the number of *DAYS* worth of recordings I lost over the years with my S1 TiVo paired with a leased STB when the CATV company sent a software update and rebooted the STB, usually around 04:00. It is also absolutely nothing compared to the many, many shows missed by the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD I leased, despite only having it for 9 months.

Issuing a complaint for an utterly trivial and transient issue such as this would only at best be a waste of time for both the OP and the FCC. At worst, large numbers of such complaints will not only obfuscate the far more serious issues, they will divert the attention, time, and effort of the FCC which one hopes might otherwise actually result in some significant changes. 'An unlikely hope, I must admit, but it does not need to be made even more unlikely by muddying the waters with massive amounts of trivia.

Quote:
although they have long ago realized that CC and TA are a failed approach.
'Not failed at all. I had far, far fewer problems with the TA than I ever did with even the S1 + STB approach, although admittedly more than with the S3s with only CableCards. I never had any problems at all with CableCards (6 of them) in a TiVo. I did have some minor troubles with a CableCard in a TV back in 2005. There were none after moving it to a TiVo in 2006.

Quote:
Allvid is their next approach and the cable cos are well on their way to sabotaging that too.
I am not up to speed on Allvid, but what I have seen so far is not promising. First of all, from what I have read, it is 100Mbps. That is unacceptable. It also looks to lock the entire system into a single gateway, with the entire system failing when the gateway fails, as it inevitably must. That is highly unacceptable. Finally, I suspect it will totally lock down DRM, and that would make it 100% worthless.

Quote:
It's nothing personal -- they just want to control the cable TV system completely, including the customer's in-home equipment.
That is true, but from what I have seen of Allvid, it won't thwart that intent nearly enough, or in the most important areas. Certainly, the CATV companies have a vested interest in OCAP and downloadable security, so they are not thrilled with Allvid, but that does not mean Allvid is all it should be for the consumer.

The TA and CableCards along with modified TiVos allowed me to record many thousands of shows and transfer many hundreds of them to my library that I would not have been able to if I had not had the TA and CableCards. Unless Allvid allows me to continue to do so in complete disdain of the CATV company's wishes (other than paying for the content, of course), then it will be virtually useless.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
mattack

I thought AllVid has been dead for a long time?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

AllVid was DOA after the MSO's told the FCC to pound sand. The original proposal was supposed to be implemented by end of this year. The only thing out there now is a requirement for an IP delivery standard for video, but that was recently waived until 2014 to give cable more time to do it with DLNA (which has been a bust so far).

Our current FCC really doesn't give a damn about what the CEA or any other member of the AllVid alliance thinks about open IP access to the product, they just roll over whenever cable/sat/telco objects to anything. Perfectly understandable when you have commissioners leaving to be head of the NCTA and getting high ranked positions at Comcast when their terms are up.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
AllVid was DOA after the MSO's told the FCC to pound sand. The original proposal was supposed to be implemented by end of this year. The only thing out there now is a requirement for an IP delivery standard for video, but that was recently waived until 2014 to give cable more time to do it with DLNA (which has been a bust so far).

Our current FCC really doesn't give a damn about what the CEA or any other member of the AllVid alliance thinks about open IP access to the product, they just roll over whenever cable/sat/telco objects to anything. Perfectly understandable when you have commissioners leaving to be head of the NCTA and getting high ranked positions at Comcast when their terms are up.
Funny you should mention DLNA - I see the HDHomeRun Prime can now deliver cable TV to DLNA devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/h...liver-live-tv/
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 12-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

I disagree with NOT filing a complaint. More complaints reported up get their attention to problems in the market more than the filters they normally get when they float through cable companies. Big/little/whatever- it they don't hear about them the perception is that there are NO problems.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Funny you should mention DLNA - I see the HDHomeRun Prime can now deliver cable TV to DLNA devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/h...liver-live-tv/
Yep, this is great news and could be a game changer if we get more devices with DTCP-IP support. Right now the PS3 is it at the consumer level.

This has the potential to enable third-party STBs and DVRs for protected content using open or low cost software, and perhaps entice some CE makers to jump in with their own products.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Why the heck would one file an FCC complaint about this? Because the update process was a little more clunky than it could have been? What is the FCC supposed to do about this - tell MSOs that they have to meet some unspecified quality level in their user interface/software? And, pray tell, what FCC regulation would the MSO in this case be violating that would give reason for filing a complaint?

I agree with lrhorer on this aspect. Save the complaint for when the MSO has actually done something that is worth complaining about, something that the FCC actually has jurisdiction over.

This? This was an inconvenience, an annoyance, and nothing the FCC can even do anything about.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote