TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
mazelady

Tivo Series 2 and guest network

I'm giving my old series 2 tivo to my daughter to use in the garage apartment. Because it's too far away from my router, I bought a Linksys RE1000 extender to use with my Linksys E4200 router which broadcasts a 5ghz signal and a 2.4ghz signal (guest network). The extender only uses 2.4 signal so the tivo will have to connect to the guest network.

Problem: the tivo won't connect. I've been told the wireless adapter only uses 5ghz signal but this adapter is pretty old and I'm pretty sure it uses the 2.4 signal.

I think the problem may be related to the guest network. It is not encrypted but it does require a password before allowing access. I can connect via a laptop from the garage apartment.

The tivo never asks for a password.

Are there any hacks or tricks to let this tivo access my guest network? If not, what do I need to do to let my tivo connect to my other tivos on my network so she can transfer shows?

Minnie
mazelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazelady View Post
I'm giving my old series 2 tivo to my daughter to use in the garage apartment. Because it's too far away from my router, I bought a Linksys RE1000 extender to use with my Linksys E4200 router which broadcasts a 5ghz signal and a 2.4ghz signal (guest network). The extender only uses 2.4 signal so the tivo will have to connect to the guest network.

Problem: the tivo won't connect. I've been told the wireless adapter only uses 5ghz signal but this adapter is pretty old and I'm pretty sure it uses the 2.4 signal.

I think the problem may be related to the guest network. It is not encrypted but it does require a password before allowing access. I can connect via a laptop from the garage apartment.
This is not really an issue of the frequency in use nor is it directly a TiVo issue. If the "extender" you purchased does not allow you to configure its security internally, then it will not work for this purpose. Any 2.4GHz or 5GHz Access Point or client bridge should work. Given the garage might be a fair distance from the main house, I might recommend the Engenius ECB-3500 Wireless G AP. You might even need to replace the main router's wireless function with one of these to get reliable enough service to the garage. Even that may not be sufficient, although if not a unidirectional antenna on the garage unit might help, or else higher gain omnidirectional antennas on both ends. You also might consider the newer ECB-350, which handles Wireless N as well as Wireless G. Note in either case, the AP is not a firewall router, and only has one Ethernet port. You will still need a firewall router to secure your network and some means of distributing the network if you install a pair of APs. Your original router should work just fine to that purpose.

Wireless is problematical under the best conditions, and what you describe is definitely not the most conducive to a wireless setup. That said, my sister and sister-in-law have a wireless G setup between their two houses using a pair of ECB-3500 APs, which are about 400 meters apart. As long as they keep the (numerous) trees in the direct line of sight properly trimmed during the spring, they have fairly decent and more or less reliable communications between the two houses. They have a unidirectional antenna at my brother's house and a pair of high gain (14 dB) omnis at my sister's house.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-04-2012 at 06:11 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

What brand/type is the wireless adapter hooked to the Tivo?
Are you using WPA?
Only the Tivo branded wireless G adapter will work on a Series 2 and WPA.

Also check your MAC address and see if the router is blocking it. Or blocking everything unless this MAC address is allowed.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
mazelady

I have the Tivo branded wireless adapter.

WPA2 security on the router
mazelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazelady View Post
I have the Tivo branded wireless adapter.

WPA2 security on the router
Is that S2 a single or dual tuner model?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote