TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

ARWL bug on 20.2.2

I mentioned this briefly in the 20.2.2 thread when it first came out. I've now had a chance to test it, and it is worse than I thought...

Recordings made with an ARWL appear not only in the ARWL folder, they also are listed individually (in Now Playing). IOW, they are listed twice.

This happened to a number of my ARWL recordings after the update, and I was hoping it was a database/conversion issue. But new recordings have the same problem. I've been recording a few new ARWL, and they all appear twice. Once in the ARWL, and again by themselves.

Specific example: I have an ARWL called Movies. I use the Title field to tell it to record a certain movie I want. Prior to 20.2.2., upon recording, it put it on the "Movies" ARWL. Now it puts it there, but it also displays it again, by itself, on Now Playing.

I have done this for years, and it works flawlessly. Until now. It basically eliminates half the functionality of an ARWL. They still work, but Now Playing is littered with dupes. I have 38 recordings in three ARWL--used to take 3 lines, now uses 41 lines.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
dugbug

Ok for the uninitiated what the hell is awrl. I can't wrap my brain around that acronym

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Ok for the uninitiated what the hell is awrl. I can't wrap my brain around that acronym

Thanks
It's ARWL, and I think it refers to an Automatically Recorded Wish List entry. I assume that astrohip is referring to the TiVo making a duplicate My Shows entry in a special folder like it does for HD recordings and suggestions. (It still does that doesn't it?)
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I mentioned this briefly in the 20.2.2 thread when it first came out. I've now had a chance to test it, and it is worse than I thought...

Recordings made with an ARWL appear not only in the ARWL folder, they also are listed individually (in Now Playing). IOW, they are listed twice.

This happened to a number of my ARWL recordings after the update, and I was hoping it was a database/conversion issue. But new recordings have the same problem. I've been recording a few new ARWL, and they all appear twice. Once in the ARWL, and again by themselves.

Specific example: I have an ARWL called Movies. I use the Title field to tell it to record a certain movie I want. Prior to 20.2.2., upon recording, it put it on the "Movies" ARWL. Now it puts it there, but it also displays it again, by itself, on Now Playing.

I have done this for years, and it works flawlessly. Until now. It basically eliminates half the functionality of an ARWL. They still work, but Now Playing is littered with dupes. I have 38 recordings in three ARWL--used to take 3 lines, now uses 41 lines.

it's always been inconsistent for me.

I use ARWL's to get all the games for my favorite sports teams and I'm pretty sure that in the past (with previous versions of the software) they've sometimes been in that folder while also being listed as "MLB baseball" or the like.

Right now I'm looking at my box- have a few wishlists (one for sports and 2 others for movies) and at this particular moment the individual programs are NOT in my NPL- only in the folders. So at the moment mine seems to be working.

Maybe you should un- Auto-record the existing and then add a new auto record wishlist and keep your fingers crossed?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
... TiVo making a duplicate My Shows entry in a special folder like it does for HD recordings and suggestions. (It still does that doesn't it?)
with groups on it still does an "HD" folder with dups in the list. Bust suggestions folder keeps all those under control.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
it's always been inconsistent for me.
<snip>
Maybe you should un- Auto-record the existing and then add a new auto record wishlist and keep your fingers crossed?
Always worked well for me. The only time it's ever been remotely inconsistent is when two ARWLs cross (meet the same criteria of different WL). At which point it appears in both. But even that is consistent within the ARWL logic.

This is clearly new behavior. I have tried deleting everything within an existing ARWL and then recording new shows, which didn't work. I haven't tried turning AR off & on. Nor have I created a new one. I need to try both of those.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

It seems to have a mind of its own. I'm curious if anyone else uses ARWL, and if they are having issues?

I finally gave up and deleted the old ones. Created all new ones. Started testing it. Behavior even more frustrating.

New ARWL called Movies. Added a few qualifiers. Let it record the two movies that matched (Desc & H Whisp). See pic below: I end up with TWO folders, one has both movies, the other has one movie, and BOTH movies are still listed individually. This was an entire new Wishlist, created after the old one was deleted.

I also created another ARWL called Woody Allen Movies. It recorded two movies and put both of them in the folder.

I can handle something not working, but inconsistent behavior... driving me nuts.

Any ideas? And yes, I've rebooted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARWL.jpg (40.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
MichaelK

pretty impressive you have 2 folders- ;-)

But that aside when you look inside the folders- what symbol is there next to the titles?

for me- if they have the captain america symbol (wishlist star in a blue circle) then they dont show up outside the folder.

If they just have a blue circle then they show up outside the folder also. (in my case AT THE MOMENT- it seems all the ones that are just blue circle are ones that we explicitly recorded.)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

I'll check on Sunday when I return home. Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Figured out the problem. It is *definitely* a change from previous TiVo behavior.

When you set up an ARWL, or change the qualifiers to an existing one, it takes a few minutes before the changes are picked up by the brains, and added to the To-Do List. It doesn't take hours, but it can take anywhere from 5-30 minutes before they show up. This was true before, and is still true.

When I make changes to the ARWL criteria, I generally go to "View Upcoming Shows" and select which ones I want to record. Even though I am manually selecting the recordings, because they fit the criteria they were always added to the ARWL folder. This method has the additional benefit of allowing me to choose which airing I want to record. I often would choose a middle-of-the-night viewing, to help keep tuners open during prime time.

This has changed. Now any recording manually selected not only appears in the folder, it also appears in Now Playing listed individually, ie listed twice. If you let the ARWL pick its own recordings, it is handled correctly and only appears in the ARWL folder.

I have no idea why this was changed, and I can't think of any benefit it adds. Therefore I will guess this is an inadvertent change as the result of some other programming change. Now that I know what is causing it, I can handle it. Not an earthshaking problem, just another annoyance. I'll guess I'm one of a very very few people who manipulate ARWLs like this.

PS: I should add, for clarification, there are two types of ARWL that I use. The first is a true ARWL, where I set criteria and forget about it. It simply records *anything* that meets the rules. I don't manage it, and when something shows up in the folder... well, there it is.

The second is what I have been referring to in this thread. It's where I game the ARWL system to create a fake folder of selected shows in that folder. I use this for Movies and a couple other folders. It requires constantly modifying the criteria, to continually add new shows to said folder. This is what I've been referring to in this thread.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
When I make changes to the ARWL criteria, I generally go to "View Upcoming Shows" and select which ones I want to record. Even though I am manually selecting the recordings, because they fit the criteria they were always added to the ARWL folder. This method has the additional benefit of allowing me to choose which airing I want to record. I often would choose a middle-of-the-night viewing, to help keep tuners open during prime time.

This has changed. Now any recording manually selected not only appears in the folder, it also appears in Now Playing listed individually, ie listed twice. If you let the ARWL pick its own recordings, it is handled correctly and only appears in the ARWL folder.
Glad you figured it out. I guess that explains why I wasn't seeing the issue then. Normally the only interference I do with ARWL is to cancel an upcoming recording. I do once in a while manually schedule something that ARWL would record but not often. For things that I want to be a lot more selective over recording such as "NFL Football" I do have a wishlist but don't set it to auto-record anything and will use View Upcoming to look for matches and schedule 1 time recordings for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
mattack

Send an email to margret explaining the bug.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote