TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
GeezLouise2

Will Tivo work at my son's dorm

The TV service at my son's college just changed. Can someone look at this and tell me if Tivo would work in his dorm? He doesn't need a cable box in the dorm, so will the Tivo work without a cable card? We've got some extra Tivo boxes around and he'd probably enjoy being able to watch on his own schedule.
Thanks for your help!

Sorry, the forum wouldn't let me include the link, so I've cut and paste...

When will the change take place?

The new service will start sometime during the week prior to the start of fall semester classes (August 18-22). Once the exact date is determined, it will be published in the news wire.

Will the current channel listing change?

Yes, the listing of channels will change with many more high definition channels and other additional content being provided. The procedure for setting up your TV to recognize the new signals will be different based on the manufacturer and TV model. Please refer to your TV’s manual for instructions. The scan may take a few minutes as the TV looks for all available signals. Once it’s done, your TV should recognize all the content provided by Penn State that your TV is capable of receiving. You can then tune to the channels just like any other channel. Remember, the specific procedure may vary by TV manufacturer and model and you may have to refer to your TV’s instruction manual.

What are sub-channels?

Multiple digital TV signals can be squeezed into the same bandwidth space as a single analog channel–splitting what was one channel into several. Digital tuners see these extra channels as sub-channels, such as 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. You can tune to sub-channels just as you would tune to a normal channel.

What equipment do I need to receive the cable TV service?

The new University Park campus cable TV service will deliver all content in a digital format and will require a television set, DVR, or conversion box tuner capable of receiving a digital clear QAM signal. To receive the HD channels, you will need an HD-compatible TV.

If you already have a TV connected to our system you can test your equipment by tuning to one or more of our existing digital channels:

If you can tune to 77-1 (AMC channel), your set is digital capable
If you can tune to 74-2 (Big Ten Network HD channel), your set is digital and HD capable
You can also check the specifications from your TV manufacturer to determine if it includes the required tuner. There are several types of digital tuners in use in the United States and not all will work with the campus cable TV service.

NTSC Tuner - not compatible
ATSC Tuner - not compatible
QAM Tuner - compatible and required
Some less expensive TVs sometimes come with a lower quality clear QAM tuner that may be unable to pick up all the digital channels. Users with less expensive TV brands such as Dynex and Insignia have reported some of these types of problems.

You can purchase an external QAM tuner conversion box, but it must be a conversion box that is compatible. NTSC and ATSC conversion boxes are NOT compatible. In some cases it may be less expensive to just replace the entire TV. The following tuners have compatible QAM tuners that have been tested with service:

ChannelMaster CM-7001
FireBird DCT210
We have compiled the following information about television compatibility and provide this list as an informal reference for newer devices. This information was compiled from external sources and is not intended to be complete. The University cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information. You should verify the specifications when you make a purchase.

Dynex - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
Insignia - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
LG - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
Samsung - All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or a letter beyond B in the alphabet)
Sony - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
Sylvania - Do not appear to have QAM tuners
Toshiba - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
Visio - Recent models have a QAM tuner
Please report any inaccurate information in this list to Housing.
GeezLouise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Sounds like Series 3 and above TiVos would work. What about TVguide data? Does he have a analog phone in the room to download the TV schedule for TiVo? Or better yet, internet access in the room?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
GeezLouise2

He does have internet access and wifi. So, I would just plug the cable into the Tivo and then connect the Tivo to the tv? The tivo would work without a cable card in it?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezLouise2 View Post
He does have internet access and wifi. So, I would just plug the cable into the Tivo and then connect the Tivo to the tv? The tivo would work without a cable card in it?

Thanks so much for your help!
Yes the TiVo should work even without the CableCard since all the digital cable channels are clear QAM. The only issue might be whether or not TiVo has guide data available for this university cable system.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
GeezLouise2

Good point. If they weren't listed, is there anyway to remap the channels? Thanks, again!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
caughey

Zap2it.com shows two lineups for Penn State:
Pennsylvania State University - Cable (University Park)
Pennsylvania State University - Digital (University Park)

Neither of those match the two channels identified in your post
Quote:
If you can tune to 77-1 (AMC channel), your set is digital capable
If you can tune to 74-2 (Big Ten Network HD channel), your set is digital and HD capable
but they may update it when the new lineup goes live. If zap2it has the correct lineup, TiVo should be able to get the correct guide data.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Good point. If they weren't listed, is there anyway to remap the channels? Thanks, again!!
Buying a CableCard off ebay sometimes works.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
GeezLouise2

That sounds promising! It's not live yet, so there's hope that it will be updated and recognized. I feel better that you see their networks there. Thanks for checking.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
lpwcomp

It's possible that they've made an exception in this instance, but TiVo doesn't normally provide guide data for clear QAM channels.

An e-bay purchased CableCARD is unlikely to do any good as it would be dependent upon a cable operator provided channel map.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
GeezLouise2

Okay, that's not as promising. He lived without it before, so I suppose it's not a huge deal, but thought it would be nice to have. HuluPlus and Netflix lessens the blow.

I've got another question about Tivo and Comcast, but I'll post it separately since it's unrelated.

Thanks for your help!! I'll still check to see if zaptoit gets updated once it goes live just in case.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Okay, that's not as promising. He lived without it before, so I suppose it's not a huge deal, but thought it would be nice to have. HuluPlus and Netflix lessens the blow.
A TiVo could still be used as a tuner and for manual recordings and, assuming he has wideband access, Netflix, HuluPlus, etc.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
telemark

Quote:
thought it would be nice to have. HuluPlus and Netflix lessens the blow.
College students are major consumers of OTT and torrents.

It's thoughtful, that you're thinking of him, but I would check if he wants it.

Some colleges are too demanding to have much TV time. Having a Tivo in a common area I think is a great use though.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
GeezLouise2

You're right. He doesn't really care, but I thought I could put one of these boxes to work and didn't know if it was a possibility.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
tarheelblue32

Quote:
You're right. He doesn't really care, but I thought I could put one of these boxes to work and didn't know if it was a possibility.
Bring it along with you when you move him in and hook it up to see if it will work. If you have an extra TiVo lying around anyway then it's worth a shot.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #15
GeezLouise2

Since the date is not definite for the new service and it sounds like the Tivo would work with the current tv system, I guess we'll try. Another option is setting up a slingbox to his tivo at home. Although, I never had good luck with that.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 AM   #16
telemark

College channel lineups are typically different that commercial lineups. They usually add the International stations, education, music, and occasionally a station you'll never see anywhere else. (SCOLA)

Today's system is half analog and half digital. The switch is going all digital (QAM).

The zap2it
Pennsylvania State University - Digital (University Park)
has the correct lineup today. When it switches, it should drop the analogs and put in the digitals in it's place.

If you get guide data today, it will likely work after transition as well.