TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't care for them as much as I did in my youth. They may still be in the cabinet somewhere. I might take a pic to show you how they come packaged here.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #32
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
Interesting. It's been a while (at least a year) since I bought any Ding Dongs. I bought the box (maybe two dozen in total) and they were each wrapped individually in a shiny white sealed bag. Sealed kind of like a potato chip bag.

You can kind of see the wrapper behind the ding dong in this image:

Hmm.. Maybe your box was of individual ones made for resale, like you might find at Smart & Final or Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hostess-Ding-D.../dp/B0027AOIOU

The last time I had some was April and they were still foil wrapped. There do seem to be people who are unable to find them ( or they just keep buying the wrong boxes ) http://darwinsfinest.blogspot.com/20...s-or-give.html

I'll be bummed if they stop with the foil. As long as the Girl Scouts don't stop putting the Thin Mints in the convenient tubes I'll still be Ok.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #33
Boston Fan

I am not much into the spoiler police thing, but I was surprised to find so many references to stuff that happens in the pilot of Major Crimes (which I have not had a chance to watch yet) in a thread about the series finale of The Closer.

Any chance that chatter could be taken to its own thread, or at least spoiler tagged here?
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
DeDondeEs

I thought that the closer ended well. And I liked it how they transitioned to the new lead actress with a new show instead of keeping the same name of the show. I wish more shows would do stuff like this.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Hmm.. Maybe your box was of individual ones made for resale, like you might find at Smart & Final or Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hostess-Ding-D.../dp/B0027AOIOU

The last time I had some was April and they were still foil wrapped. There do seem to be people who are unable to find them ( or they just keep buying the wrong boxes ) http://darwinsfinest.blogspot.com/20...s-or-give.html

I'll be bummed if they stop with the foil. As long as the Girl Scouts don't stop putting the Thin Mints in the convenient tubes I'll still be Ok.
Nope. It's not a resale box. It's a normal box with individually wrapped Ding Dongs. The individual wrappers are plain white with no writing on them. The Ding Dongs don't taste as good and I don't know why... maybe it's the extra air they're packed in. It seems that they blow some air in before sealing so if it melts, it can't really stick to the wrapper (if that makes any sense).
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
Nope. It's not a resale box. It's a normal box with individually wrapped Ding Dongs. The individual wrappers are plain white with no writing on them. The Ding Dongs don't taste as good and I don't know why... maybe it's the extra air they're packed in. It seems that they blow some air in before sealing so if it melts, it can't really stick to the wrapper (if that makes any sense).
I was starting to worry that they canceled The Closer since Brenda's goodie drawer wouldn't look right with a bunch of amorphous white blobs instead of silver bundles of goodness.

Went to the store today, and at least here in northern CA they are still packed in foil. I now have 11 in the freezer just in case.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #37
Mikeyis4dcats

we have Ho-Hos in Kansas. Always been in white wrappers.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #38
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
Ho Hos here used to be in foil like Ding Dongs, but went to mylar a long time ago. They might be in white now, I haven't had them in decades.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #39
GoHalos

The wiki page on Ding Dongs talk about the Ring Ding / Ding Dong conflict and why they were called Big Wheels on the east coast.

I've always lived on the west coast, and have always known them as Ding Dongs. I haven't had one in years, but they were always foil wrapped. Although, the way that they say, "The cake was originally wrapped in a square of thick aluminium foil", sounds like they might not be any more?
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #40
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
The wiki page on Ding Dongs talk about the Ring Ding / Ding Dong conflict and why they were called Big Wheels on the east coast.

I've always lived on the west coast, and have always known them as Ding Dongs. I haven't had one in years, but they were always foil wrapped. Although, the way that they say, "The cake was originally wrapped in a square of thick aluminium foil", sounds like they might not be any more?
I don't know if it's regional or dependent on which particular bakery makes them, but the ones I bought on Friday came in foil like I've always seen them. The comment on Wikipedia about "used to be wrapped in foil" must have been written by someone who can only get them in the plastic pouches now.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #41
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
Be very careful. Talking like that got Don Imus fired.