TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
woodp

Settings & Messages background is live TV

Situation: Two (2) TiVo Premieres in one household. One has a nice blue, high contrast background when using the "Settings & Messages" menu, while the other shows live TV. Take a look at the attachment - It's a real challenge to use the Settings & Messages menu with live TV in the background.

Of the two Premieres, the solid blue background one is easier to use. Any thoughts how to make the live TV background one behave like the solid blue background one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SettingsMenu.jpg (109.1 KB, 66 views)
woodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
changk

I've seen that happen myself a few times in the past. Rebooting the problematic Premiere should fix the problem for you.

It appears to be a glitch that triggers when the device changes from the HDUI (High Definition menus) to SDUI (Standard Definition menus).
changk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
woodp

Appreciate the reboot recommendation but I had tried that many times already. Your suggestion did trigger a thought to toggle to SD and then back to HD, but that sadly didn't make any difference either.

Unitl I can find a fix, my temporary solution is to tune to channel 250 (blackness) any time I need to use Settings and Messages.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Did you try the power-cut restart or from the menu restart? Sometimes things get fixed with a power-cut then a menu restart.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
changk

I second the power cycle suggestion: unplug the Premiere, let it sit unpowered for a few minutes, then restore power.

I'm also curious if the behavior happens with other SD screens:
Help
Showcases
Music & Photos (if you're sharing any from a computer)

On my Premiere, I'll often see a frame or two of a live channel when it switches from HD to SD submenus. Also, just this past weekend when I launched the NetFlix app, I heard audio (but no video) of a live channel for a good 2 seconds while the app launched.

Finally, I've experienced a 'blank' SD background once or twice. I'd go in to something like Settings & Messages and have no background or border around the menus. A reboot resolved that issue for me.
changk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
woodp

Thanks for the power-cycling suggestion, but that still didn't have an effect. So I went nuclear on my TiVo last night and did a complete reset. An hour later it's back up (with all channels and season passes erased) and I still get the live TV background.

Two other observations:
  • Changing to SD menus causes an unwanted reboot
  • Live TV background only occurs on the Settings & Messages submenu
I'm thinking a TiVo firmware update might jolt it back to proper functioning. Can that be manually requested or do I have to wait for the next update? Alternatively, could I reimage my disk back from Day 1 and then the updates would start arriving again?

This TiVo has Lifetime service on it so I won't be happy if it's defective.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodp View Post
Thanks for the power-cycling suggestion, but that still didn't have an effect. So I went nuclear on my TiVo last night and did a complete reset. An hour later it's back up (with all channels and season passes erased) and I still get the live TV background.

Two other observations:
  • Changing to SD menus causes an unwanted reboot
  • Live TV background only occurs on the Settings & Messages submenu
I'm thinking a TiVo firmware update might jolt it back to proper functioning. Can that be manually requested or do I have to wait for the next update? Alternatively, could I reimage my disk back from Day 1 and then the updates would start arriving again?

This TiVo has Lifetime service on it so I won't be happy if it's defective.
Kickstart 52 TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information (WeaKnees.com) 52 Emergency Software Reinstall.
Suggest you run KS 54 "Hard Drive Test" first if that fails you need to replace the drive.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
woodp

You guys are good - KS52 executed fine and left me with a message that the "Fall 2012 Update" has been installed. Unfortunately, the problem remains.

I couldn't get KS54 to work, but I did pull the drive and run gParted's SMART test against it on my Linux rig. No disk problems detected.

This has been an interesting exercise, and there's obviously a lot of talent here, but I think I'll just live with the inconvenience. Thansk for everyone's help!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
bshrock

Wow, you have an interesting problem.

- Can you switch to the SD menus now?

- What happens if you do the HDUI reset Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up , Play, Play?

- I still think it is Software corruption. If both Premieres are the same model (TSN's starting with the same 3 characters) and since you have lost all recordings and settings with the C&DE anyway You might drop the problem drive in the good DVR and see if the symptom shows up there. If it does then make a binary copy of the drive out of the good DVR to the drive from the problem DVR. That can be done if you are confident with the Linux commands 'dd' or 'cp' enough to copy a device ie cp /dev/sd?? /dev/sd?? Do that only if you really know the command line, how the drives are assigned and direction. There are no sanity checks and going in the wrong direction would be bad resulting in 2 bad copies. Other wise use one of the safer Tools like MFSLive http://mfslive.org/ after wiping the first couple of tracks on the bad drive.

Because I think you problem is a corrupted file probably one that was not included in the Software Update. I suggest you download the drives manufactures run from CD diagnostics and run the full diagnostics on the drive.

JFYIW I had a similar problem with a Series2 where an image from the last video was partially displayed in the background and that survived a version update shortly after the drive failed forcing me to install a new drive with a new image and the problem was gone.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
HomeUser

I'll second the corrupted software.