TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.62 average.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #421
atandon

Folks, very confused by conflicting info online

I have a base roamio connected to my home router via Ethernet
While the mini in the other room has only coax access
Do I need a moca adapter in this scenario?
atandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #422
buckyswider

yes you will need an external bridge, the base roamio doesn't have the built-in MoCA bridge like the plus and pro
buckyswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #423
atandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyswider View Post
yes you will need an external bridge, the base roamio doesn't have the built-in MoCA bridge like the plus and pro
So I did try connecting the actiontec adapter
I disconnected the coax to my modem and connected it to the adapter. Then I connected another coax out of it to the modem. Then I connected the modem to the router via Ethernet
Also connected an Ethernet cable from the adapter to a lan port on the router

Does this sound ok?

I connected the roamio base to the router via Ethernet
Or do I need another adapter here?

Now with this setup, Internet works just fine

Though the mini does not detect a moca network
Also, is the coax light on the adapter supposed to light up?
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #424
buckyswider

not a clue, sorry. I just learned about MoCA oh, 29 hours ago.

That does to seem to be what is depicted on page 1 of this thread. But if you already have a splitter before the modem, I would think it would be best to just hang the bridge off of one of the splitter ports.
buckyswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #425
atandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyswider View Post
not a clue, sorry. I just learned about MoCA oh, 29 hours ago.

That does to seem to be what is depicted on page 1 of this thread. But if you already have a splitter before the modem, I would think it would be best to just hang the bridge off of one of the splitter ports.
I do have it hanging off one the splitter ie cable from wall to splitter which splits into 2 with one going to the adapter and other to tivo box
Old Today, 12:26 AM   #426
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by atandon View Post
I disconnected the coax to my modem and connected it to the adapter. Then I connected another coax out of it to the modem. Then I connected the modem to the router via Ethernet

Does this sound ok?

I'm fairly new to MoCA and Tivo myself but have learned a lot from a few knowledgable folks in this forum. First since the base Roamio doesn't have MoCA built in you will need two MoCA adapters. From what you have described, you connected the first adapter to your modem/router correctly ( that creates your MoCA network) next you will need to connect another MoCA adapter to your base Roamio ( this will bridge the MoCA connection) and for the Mini all you will need to do is just connect the Coax cable to it ( the mini has MoCA built into it).....and to answer your other question " does the coax light up on the MoCA adapter? yes it should light up on both adapters once you have everything in place. I would suggest you connect all of your MoCA adapters, etc and once you have everything connected I would do a power cycle of your cable modem/router/adapter , then on the base Roamio I would power cycle the Roamio and adapter.....then last connect your mini to the coax cable coming from the wall and power cycle it....make sure you go into the Roamio and Mini's network settings and connect via MoCA....on the base Roamio it will say connected via ethernet since it doesn't have MoCA built in and its acting as your MoCA bridge. On the Mini, however, since it does have MoCA built in whenever you go into your Mini's network settings it will give you the option to connect via MoCA and thats what you need to do and once you power cycle it it should see your Roamio (host DVR).... once everything is up and working you should buy a POE/MoCA filter and install that at your cable drop where your cable first enters your home ( point of entry) or you could install it just before your first splitter..... make sure your cable splitters are rated at least a 1Ghz.... hope this helps... below are diagrams of how you should connect your MoCa adapters to your Roamio base and to your cable modem/router ( that's exactly how I connected mine )...

Highslide JS
https://www.tivo.com/assets/images_a...oCA_Roamio.png

Last edited by ukwildcat4life : Today at 12:33 AM.
ukwildcat4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #427
atandon

Thanks ukwildcatforlife
Will give this a try tomorrow
Wish I had ordered that adapter 2 pack from tivo
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #428
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Thanks ukwildcatforlife
Will give this a try tomorrow
Wish I had ordered that adapter 2 pack from tivo

You're welcome.....let us know how it goes and if you need anymore help there are some knowledgeable folks in here that will chime in and help ....
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #429
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:

Does this sound ok?

You only need 1 moca adapter.

You don't need a second adapter unless you want the Roamio to be on the moca network also. But that is optional. The ethernet connection to the router is fine if that's what you want.

What you described about your adapter setup sounds right. The moca network SHOULD be working. The next step would be to look at the troubleshooting section at the end of the first post.

You may have to reboot everything (including modem and router) to get things working (if you haven't already). The coax light will light up once a moca connection exists, so it might not light up unless/until it can actually find the Mini.

Are any splitters really old or under 1000 MHz (1GHz)? Are there any amps being used? Is the coax old or damaged anywhere? All things to look at. You may want to consider a POE filter as described in the first post too.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : Today at 01:39 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 AM   #430
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
You only need 1 moca adapter.

You don't need a second adapter unless you want the Roamio to be on the moca network also. But that is optional. The ethernet connection to the router is fine if that's what you want.

What you described about your adapter setup sounds right. The next step would be to look at the troubleshooting section at the end. You may want to consider a POE filter as described in the first post too.

You may also have to reboot everything (including modem and router) to get things working. The coax light will light up once a moca connection exists. So it might not light up unless/until it finds the Mini.

Are any splitters under 1000 MHz (1GHz)? Are there any amps being used? Is the coax super-old or damaged anywhere? All things to look at.
Thanks for correcting me on that BigJim....I misread and thought he wanted his Roamio to join the MoCA network.....otherwise looks like everything else we mentioned is on que.....
Old Today, 02:47 AM   #431
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Just because you don't understand it, like brain surgery, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Skin effect is dependent on the frequency and once it's too high and starting to ride on the outer edges of the center conductor and even the shielding/braid, then no, the size of the center conductor doesn't matter at that point because the signal isn't even using it anymore. The size does matter in the sense that the threshold at which the frequency starts exhibiting the skin effect is lower though. This is the reason why, once you get to a high enough frequency, that you no longer can use coaxial cable of any type, you need waveguides at that point.

I didn't "miss" the inductance and capacitance issue. I just chose not to include it.
As usual, lately, everything I was trying to say flew right over your head. I do understand it, intimately, and have so, for years now, the way the signal travels on the copper cladding surface, not the core. The slightly less technical aspects, and cable design parts, I have understood for even longer.

I was saying that the explanation you liked, and quoted from an outside source, then expanded upon, was not only riddled with bad grammar and murderously misspelled, but also not completely right.

Every thread I have read today is riddled with you arguing with others. If not you, then it's Captainbob arguing with others. To complete the FUBAR trifecta, then there's you and Captainbob arguing with each other. The only work title/history that can be verified is that Dan203 writes code for VideoReDo software, and is also a moderator here. The rest of those who start throwing out their unverifiable titles, in mid dispute, only lose credibility to many.

Whatever... Out of respect to the OP's polite request, let's dumb things back down, and stick to what it takes to make MoCA work for dummies.
Old Today, 05:55 AM   #432
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
As usual, lately, everything I was trying to say flew right over your head. I do understand it, intimately, and have so, for years now, the way the signal travels on the copper cladding surface, not the core. The slightly less technical aspects, and cable design parts, I have understood for even longer. I was saying that the explanation you liked, and quoted from an outside source, then expanded upon, was not only riddled with bad grammar and murderously misspelled, but also not completely right. Every thread I have read today is riddled with you arguing with others. If not you, then it's Captainbob arguing with others. To complete the FUBAR trifecta, then there's you and Captainbob arguing with each other. The only work title/history that can be verified is that Dan203 writes code for VideoReDo software, and is also a moderator here. The rest of those who start throwing out their unverifiable titles, in mid dispute, only lose credibility to many. Whatever... Out of respect to the OP's polite request, let's dumb things back down, and stick to what it takes to make MoCA work for dummies.
Not even close to over my head btw. I would certainly like to see you disprove any of what I wrote and linked. All you've done is corroborate what I did say. It wasn't my bad grammar btw. When I quote someone, I actually quote them. Bad grammar and all.

I really don't give a rat's tail end whether you have a clue what my resume' is or not. Funny how this judgement comes from a self conscious, anxiety riddled, apparent shut in that does nothing more with his time than piss off cable co employees, sit in his mommy's basement experimenting with his hard drives, coax runs and assorted tivos. I could very easily prove what I've done, but the problem is it would certainly never have to be to you.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote