TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
ColdCold

Premiere XL4 + Synology DS213j

Hello everyone,

I had a TiVo about six years ago and loved it - best GUI, best remote, best experience. But for various reasons I've been stuck using other DVRs since then. Now I'm ready to jump on the TiVo Premiere + Stream bundle and while I'm at it I also want to upgrade my home NAS.

In reading various threads around the Internet (that may have been two or three years old) I was starting to get the impression that Synology NAS's required modifications or hacks to work nicely with TiVo, whereas something like the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus (RNDP200U-100NAS) was more "plug n play". But then coming to this site it seems lots of people are happy using their Synologys. (Perhaps these "hacks" people spoke of are simply installing pyTivo or something? I'm a python developer, so I expect setting up pyTivo will be a piece of cake for me.) Anyway, the Netgear model seems to be several years old and appears to be SATA 300, so that's kind of a deal-breaker in 2013.

So at this point I'm thinking I'll get the Premiere XL4 + Stream bundle (with lifetime service) and add the Synology DS213j (when it's released later this month) with a pair of Western Digital WD20EZRX (2TB) drives in RAID 1. Then I'll install pyTivo on the Synology. (btw, are there any other software packages I may also want to install?)

So does that seem reasonable? Before I drop this much cash, I just wanted to check with all you experts to make sure these seem like good hardware choices that will play nicely together. Any suggestions, advice, recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!
ColdCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
jcthorne

That is very reasonable. Python is a Synology package that can be installed from the GUI interface on the NAS. Once installed, install pytivo and configure it for your file locations and you are good to go. It requires no other 'hacking' and the Synology NAS units are far above the Netgear offerings.

You may want to consider a unit with a larger number of bays or expansion capability though. You will be surprised how fast 2TB of space can fill up with HD video. At least consider 4TB drives....

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
ColdCold

OK, thanks... good advice. Yeah, I've only used my NAS for storing standard data types, never HD video, so I am sure you're right. Thanks for your help.
ColdCold is offline   Reply With Quote