TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Premiere questions after reading FAQ

If you can refrain from saying these have been asked before, I have read through the outdated (almost three years) well written FAQ and have the following questions.
I did some additional searching on the more important questions, but I didn't find answers.

In order of importance:

1. Is the 2nd core of the processor enabled yet? As of a year ago, I see it wasn't except for this "Elite" version. If it is, has it sped up the sluggish HD menu? Has it also helped speed up xfers (throughput)?

2. Skip function: Other than the 30 second fast scan, is there some other workaround for the six button routine of the old "skip" function without a fast forward or rewind result?

3. Image caching: Has this been enabled so the system doesn't re-load the images in the Guide?

4. Adding & deleting channels: How do individual channels not in the original scan get added? By just entering the physical channel number, a separate full scan menu entry, or by an "add channel" menu function? Deleted channels are just hidden, not actually removed?

5. CableCards and SDV "tuning adapters". How friendly is this with a TWC system?

6. Adding a 2nd HDD, does the system still "split" the drives making recordings recorded with both drives unaccessible if the 2nd drive is removed? Is there a workaround?

7. WD "MyDVR Expander": Is this only HDD this accepts without whatever mod and/or software those two companies use? Is their workaround available yet?

8. Transfers between the DVR to a PC is allowed, why isn't streaming from one TiVo to another room not?

9. Do these still have ads and just how do they show?

10. Telephone (POTS) connection option: What functions (other than streaming) do you loose with a telephone connection? Is the update once in a 24 hr period? How long does it take?

11. Search: What is meant by "first word" searches? What/who determines the "popularity" of the search results?

12. Does the Premier support DTCP-IP encryption yet?

13. The deleted folder: How much space is reserved & how long are deleted recordings kept?

14. Does "Streambaby" still have the 1.1GB limitation?

15. Does Premiere still Energy Star certified after the stricter regulations went into effect 1/11?

Last edited by videobruce : 12-03-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: reorganized & prioritized questions
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
If you can refrain from saying these have been asked before, I have read through the outdated (almost three years) well written FAQ and have the following questions.
I did some additional searching on the more important questions, but I didn't find answers.

In no particular order:

1. The deleted folder: How much space is reserved & how long are old recordings kept?
2. Search: What is meant by "first word" searches? What/who determines the "popularity" of the search results?
3. Adding & deleting channels: How do individual channels not in the original scan get added? By just entering the physical channel number, a separate full scan menu entry, or by an "add channel" menu function? Deleted channels are just hidden, not actually removed?
4. CableCards and SDV "tuning adapters", how friendly is this with a TWC system?
5. Adding a 2nd HDD, does the system still "split" the drives making recordings recorded with both drives unaccessible if the 2nd drive is removed? Is there a workaround?
6. WD "MyDVR Expander": Is this only HDD this accepts without whatever mod and/or software those two companies use? Is their workaround available yet?
7. Is the 2nd core of the processor enabled yet? As of a year ago, I see it wasn't except for this "Elite" version. If it is, has it sped up the sluggish HD menu? Has it also helped speed up xfers (throughput)?
8. Image caching: Has this been enabled so the system doesn't re-load the images in the Guide?
9. Skip function: Other than the 30 second fast scan, is there some other workaround for the six button routine of the old "skip" function without a fast forward or rewind result?
10. Does the Premier support DTCP-IP encryption yet?
11. If xfers between the DVR to a PC is allowed, why isn't streaming from one TiVo to another room not?
12. Does "Streambaby" still have the 1.1GB limitation?
13. Is there is no telephone (POTS) connection option anymore or is that through some adapter?
14. Does Premiere still Energy Star certified after the stricter regulations went into effect 1/11?
1. There's really no "deleted folder" as a separate location. TiVo just lists under that heading any recordings that have been deleted but not yet purged (to reclaim their space). You can specify retention rules for each "season pass".
2. I think "first word" searches mean that any match must start at the beginning of the whole string (recording name or whatever).

5. Yes, recordings are still "split" between internal and external drives, by design. A workaround would require modifying TiVo's code.
6. Yes, I think the "MyDVR Expander" is still the only approved external drive.
7. The 2nd core has been enabled for all Premiere units. It helps a lot, but many people consider the HDUI to still be too sluggish.
8. I don't think there's image caching yet, but I don't use the HDUI.
9. 30-sec scan at 30x is the default, and a keypress sequence can change to 30-sec skip, but it isn't as instantaneous as the old 30-sec skip, and there are still some bugs such as occasional unwanted skip-to-tick or skip-to-end behavior.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 12-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
There's really no "deleted folder" as a separate location. TiVo just lists under that heading any recordings that have been deleted but not yet purged (to reclaim their space).
What/when is it determined to "purge" them? When the HDD is full?
Quote:
Yes, recordings are still "split" between internal and external drives, by design.
And this is for what purpose?

Thanks for that.

Addition input?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Generally old deleted recordings just sit around until the space is needed for new recordings, since that's a better use of the space than letting it sit completely empty. It's also possible to manually "permanently delete" a recording, which I guess lets some other deleted recording linger a bit longer in case recovery (undeletion) is desired for some reason.

I suppose TiVo could split recordings across the internal and external drives in a deliberate attempt to make hacking more difficult somehow. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they did it to achieve performance gains, which could occasionally help during periods of high activity.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
I suppose TiVo could split recordings across the internal and external drives in a deliberate attempt to make hacking more difficult somehow. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they did it to achieve performance gains, which could occasionally help during periods of high activity.
This splitting of recordings, it a single program split, or does the system alternate between drives so each is filled up equally?
If the last is the situation, why can't programs be accessed without the other drive that are on the 2nd drive?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
This splitting of recordings, it a single program split, or does the system alternate between drives so each is filled up equally?
If the last is the situation, why can't programs be accessed without the other drive that are on the 2nd drive?
Individual recordings are split across both drives.

Once enabled (S-P-S-30-S), I see no difference between 30-second skip on a Premiere and a THD. YMMV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Some additional responses...

1. Is the 2nd core of the processor enabled yet? As of a year ago, I see it wasn't except for this "Elite" version. If it is, has it sped up the sluggish HD menu? Has it also helped speed up xfers (throughput)?

Yes, enabled. Menus are much faster, good for some (me), but not fast enough for others.

3. Image caching: Has this been enabled so the system doesn't re-load the images in the Guide?

Tivo changed how this works, not the same issue it was previously.

4. Adding & deleting channels: How do individual channels not in the original scan get added? By just entering the physical channel number, a separate full scan menu entry, or by an "add channel" menu function? Deleted channels are just hidden, not actually removed?

New channels are flagged by tivo and added. They can easily be unselected from menus or the guide.

8. Transfers between the DVR to a PC is allowed, why isn't streaming from one TiVo to another room not?

You are confusing transfers and streaming. They are different, and Tivo supports both. Some cable systems prevent transfers of recorded content, but streaming is always allowed.

9. Do these still have ads and just how do they show?

You will quickly learn to ignore them.

10. Telephone (POTS) connection option: What functions (other than streaming) do you loose with a telephone connection? Is the update once in a 24 hr period? How long does it take?

What? Strange to ask about transfers but then ask about using POTS and not internet connection. This would require an additional dongle. No idea, but sounds like pain.

Also, you can upgrade the internal drive itself, which many prefer.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
New channels are flagged by tivo and added.
That's for CATV, but how about OTA??
Quote:
Strange to ask about transfers but then ask about using POTS and not internet connection
True, but I want to cover all questions I had so far.

More strange is 240 "views" and only three responses. What, no one know any of these answers?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
That's for CATV, but how about OTA??True, but I want to cover all questions I had so far.

More strange is 240 "views" and only three responses. What, no one know any of these answers?
Maybe they dont... Maybe they also dont feel like responding to questions that could be answered by searching the forum for them
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

The initial sentence probably put some people off. I nearly did not respond due to it. Plus, others are not necessarily relevant.

How often are OTA stations added?

Flagging for channels is done through Tivo, they get data from Tribune and I gather that includes all sources.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
turbobozz

Quote:
That's for CATV, but how about OTA??True, but I want to cover all questions I had so far.

Welcome to the internet.
Lurking is a popular time waster.
Most of your questions have been at least partially addressed, and most people probably don't know the definitive answers without looking it up.

Direct OTA is not supposed (?not permitted?) to be flagged to prevent transfers.

You might have better luck getting responses if you state your probable use case or why you care about some of the questions.
Solicit opinions on how Premiere and Premiere tinkering can address your concerns and desires for your use case.

I think the general opinion for what you are asking is:
- Mixed opinions on HDUI speed and responsiveness, although most would probably admit that it is better now than it used to be. (This is part of the caching/HDUI performance too.)
- Streaming between Premieres generally trumps transfers for most, and streaming isn't as blockable by flags.
- Most don't care about 30s skip/scan or know workarounds for the skip/scan to get it working in the mode they want it to.
- Most would say to just replace the internal drive with a bigger one and leave it at that... The external drives are more trouble than it's worth to most. (BTW - The striping of drives is a MPAA/Cable Consortium type requirement laid on TiVo during the CableLabs approval process, or so I heard.)
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
The initial sentence probably put some people off.
I included that purposely since I knew someone would respond that way.
Quote:
others are not necessarily relevant.
What isn't "relevant"??
Quote:
Flagging for channels is done through Tivo
You can't manually add OTA channels?
Quote:
Most would say to just replace the internal drive with a bigger one and leave it at that.
The internal doesn't have the restriction, correct?
Quote:
The striping of drives is a MPAA/Cable Consortium type requirement laid on TiVo during the CableLabs approval process
They have a strangle hold on TiVo and TiVo has a stranglehold on everyone else.

Thanks for your replies.
All the questions were based on points and issues that the OP's two documents, which are now outdated, discussed.

Last edited by videobruce : 12-04-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Skip the External HDD and just upgrade the Internal HDD to the 2TB WD20EURS, This is the HDD TiVo uses in the TiVo XL4/Elite, It is the HDD I used on my regular Premieres
Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB - $99.99

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-TB-Ha...dp/B0042AG9V8/
Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Copy-Expand-Supersize takes just a few hours to upgrade. I would wait the 90 days before upgrading, save the original HDD in case you ever need to return the TiVo for repairs and/or exchange. or to make a new copy should the HDD ever fail.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

A few questions for videobruce

@videobruce

Are you planning on getting a regular Premiere and using both CableCARD and OTA on the same device? Or will you be using just one method exclusively?

Is your TWC equipment Motorola or SA/Cisco?
TWC seems to be the most difficult to work with when it comes to CableCARDs and SDV Tuning Adapters (at least according to the postings I have seen. But then again TWC is the 2nd largest Cable provider in the US, so the reports may be skewed. As a percentage to total customers TWC has the fewest CableCARDs deployed, that may say something too.
TiVo uses Tribune Media(zap2it.com) so your channel line-up will be what ever is posted by ZipCode here: http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti....do?aid=zap2it

If you are combining both CableCard and OTA you will need to look at both line-ups and the TiVo will combine them into one Channel Line-up. I do not think you can manually add channels. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Are you planning on getting a regular Premiere and using both CableCARD and OTA on the same device?
Yes.
Quote:
Is your TWC equipment Motorola or SA/Cisco?
Cisco.
Quote:
I do not think you can manually add channels. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
That's a HUGE problem as I have many Canadian stations available that I watch.

There is no conventional channel scan like all other tuners have?? That's really short sighted. How about cases where one can receive stations further away or just not in their list? How can someone thousands of miles away determine just what is or is not available?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You can do a manual scan for OTA channels, but if the added channels are not in your specific channel line-up (determined by your Zip Code), then you will not get guide data for them.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You can do a manual scan for OTA channels, but if the added channels are not in your specific channel line-up (determined by your Zip Code), then you will not get guide data for them.
I thought that was only true for QAM channels, coming from your Cable Co.

I thought if you scanned for the channels after the next TiVo connection it would give you Guide info for the new channels.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
I understand that, but the lame "Users Guide" has less than a half a page on any of this, leaving one with more questions that it answered as usual.
The vast majority of instructions for OTA channel scanning/searching/adding fall far short, many times leaving out important aspects. Namely, adding additional channels.
They even go as far as not mentioning that this can even be done. I guess they figure a single scan is all that's needed since all station come from the same direction.

This is no exception. Relying on a pre-determined 'list' for stations in some markets may work, but it won't work for all. You need options.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
atmuscarella

Quote:
I understand that, but the lame "Users Guide" has less than a half a page on any of this, leaving one with more questions that it answered as usual.
The vast majority of instructions for OTA channel scanning/searching/adding fall far short, many times leaving out important aspects. Namely, adding additional channels.
They even go as far as not mentioning that this can even be done. I guess they figure a single scan is all that's needed since all station come from the same direction.

This is no exception. Relying on a pre-determined 'list' for stations in some markets may work, but it won't work for all. You need options.
To scan for OTA channels with a Premiere is simple and straight forward. I can not assure you that all the channels you can receive will have program data but based on my experience it is unlikely you will have any problems. I live near Rochester NY and the OTA channels that TiVo automatically provided guide data for come from 4 or 5 Cities/TV markets and 2 countries. I can not receive the vast majority of these channels and I have a deep fringe external antenna with a signal amplifier.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Thanks.
My concern is/was the tuner was automatically assigned pre-determined stations as it is with CableCards for OTA stations. Does this allowing adding additional channels after the original scan?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:
Thanks.
My concern is/was the tuner was automatically assigned pre-determined stations as it is with CableCards for OTA stations. Does this allowing adding additional channels after the original scan?
With the Premiere and OTA TiVo auto populates a list of channels based on your zip code and if you do a mannual scan any channels found not already on the auto populated list can be added to the list (you may need to contact TiVo to get guide data if you actually found channels not on the auto populated channel list). Then you can select or de-select channels based on which ones you want. I am not sure what you would do if you wanted a channel added to the list not auto populated or found by a scan. But like I said TiVo seems to way over auto populate the channel list.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
I am not sure what you would do if you wanted a channel added to the list not auto populated or found by a scan.
Is it a "add scan" option (a full scan) or a "add channel" option where one can add a single channel?
Quote:
TiVo seems to way over auto populate the channel list.
As in too many channels?

Another major issue is compatibility with SDV on a TWC CATV system. Further searching tells me it isn't working.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
atmuscarella

Quote:
Is it a "add scan" option (a full scan) or a "add channel" option where one can add a single channel? As in too many channels?

Another major issue is compatibility with SDV on a TWC CATV system. Further searching tells me it isn't working.
I'll try and explain it another way.

With OTA TiVos provide you with a list of channels to select from based on your zip code along with a channel scan during setup. I don't know what metrics TiVo is using to decide what channels to put on this list, but it isn't based on what TV market you are in.

My list contains channels from the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse & Elmira/Corning NY markets along with some Canadian channels.

If at any time you do a manual scan and find additional channels not on the list TiVo has provided you can add them all to the list.

It is then up to you to select the channels from the list that you can actually receive and that you want to be on your actual/personal list.

When I say "over populate" I mean I believe TiVo is likely using a metric that makes some unrealistic assumptions about reception to assure they have all possible channels on the list. So many of the channels on the list are actually not receivable.

I have no experience with Time Warner Cable so I can not speak to that.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Actually, I did understand this part you explained.
Could/would you (or anyone else) post a screen shot of the menu portion(s) for the channel scan or whatever they call it? That would answer my question easier.

CATV example from a VXP Tuner/DVR. It may say "add channel", "find channel" or may just allow typing in a physical channel number outside the menu and if found, the device automatically adds the channel to the channel list;

Last edited by videobruce : 12-05-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
jrtroo
User

You'll read stories of pain for TW with TAs, but many others have no issues. Those without issues do not often post about the lack of issues, as it should be a given. Same logic as with cablecards- some installations give problems, others do not (for all systems).
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
Actually, I did understand this part you explained.
Could/would you (or anyone else) post a screen shot of the menu portion(s) for the channel scan or whatever they call it? That would answer my question easier.
I don't have away to post a screen shot. I must not understand what you are asking - go ahead and repost your question.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
With OTA TiVos provide you with a list of channels to select from based on your zip code along with a channel scan during setup. I don't know what metrics TiVo is using to decide what channels to put on this list, but it isn't based on what TV market you are in.

My list contains channels from the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse & Elmira/Corning NY markets along with some Canadian channels.

If at any time you do a manual scan and find additional channels not on the list TiVo has provided you can add them all to the list.

It is then up to you to select the channels from the list that you can actually receive and that you want to be on your actual/personal list.

When I say "over populate" I mean I believe TiVo is likely using a metric that makes some unrealistic assumptions about reception to assure they have all possible channels on the list. So many of the channels on the list are actually not receivable.
TiVo's guided setup scans all antenna channels and activates any in the predefined list for your zip code that it is able to tune. If it can tune channels or subchannels that aren't even in the list, those are added to your channel list also. The channel scanning part can be repeated anytime to try to find more channels, I think. The user can manually activate or deactivate any channel desired. Some people deactivate all SD channels so they don't have to see them when channel-surfing. You can also completely delete an added-in channel, but you can only deactivate one from the predefined list (I think). All selected channels from the predefined list for your zip code will have guide data, but the channels added in later will not. You can tune them and record them manually, but to get guide data for them you have to report to TiVo or to Tribune Media (from whom TiVo gets its guide data) that they are in fact receivable in your zip code. They should then be added to the guide.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
the channels added in later will not. You can tune them and record them manually, but to get guide data for them you have to report to TiVo or to Tribune Media (from whom TiVo gets its guide data) that they are in fact receivable in your zip code.
How responsive are they?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
How responsive are they?
Very....especially if you provide then with documentation that you should be receiving channels that you are not currently getting. Our CableCo provides an up-to-date channel listing on its Web site generated by plugging in your zip code. I always include that when I send info to TiVo; usually it's updated inside the week. If it's OTA, then you might run into more of a delay...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
atmuscarella

Quote:
CATV example from a VXP Tuner/DVR. It may say "add channel", "find channel" or may just allow typing in a physical channel number outside the menu and if found, the device automatically adds the channel to the channel list;
Ok I think your are asking me how channels can be added.

You can manually tune a channel not on the channel list however you can not manually add a channel to the channel list by just tuning to the channel. You have to do a channel scan, if the scan finds a new channel then you can add it.

Also whenever TiVo becomes aware of a new/removed/moved channel they will automatically add/delete/move the channel in the channel list and send you a note (on your TiVo) about it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio