TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Borack

Season Pass - Time Slot

If creating a season pass for Dexter (or anything else), I am not given an opportunity to make it for a specific time slot and specific channel. When checking the TO DO MANAGER, it is set to record Dexter no matter what time its on (two or three instances of it)...Any help would be appreciated..It was just set up this morning, anything to do with it...??
On the Tivo.com site, when entering season pass, error screens pop up...
Borack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
brianric

You were probably creating a wish list. Either do a search on the show, or use the Guide and go to time and channel, and setup your season pass.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
You were probably creating a wish list. Either do a search on the show, or use the Guide and go to time and channel, and setup your season pass.
Not creating a wish list....Doing a search for "Dexter", create season pass...No option(s) for time or channel....Honestly not seeing the advantage to TIVO over Fios DVR....yet
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
mattack

Season Passes never have time slots.. You have to just get "out" of the VCR-like way of thinking. (Manual recordings do have timeslots, but those literally are manual, and "pick up" the guide data of what happens to be at that time. Personally, I only have ONE manual recording anymore.)

You need to set the season pass to *first run only*, and the guide data will eventually "fill in" and then record only the new episodes.

If the show has only 'generic' guide data, e.g. "A guy is secretly a serial killer" (I've never actually watched the show), unfortunately this is how it works, and if you think about it, it's really how it HAS to work, since Tivo doesn't know it's not really a new episode, and people would be POed if their show wasn't recorded.

You can be 'tricky' and create an auto-recording wishlist to avoid generic data episodes, via something around here we call the "Tupper method". Search for it around the forum.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borack View Post
Not creating a wish list....Doing a search for "Dexter", create season pass...No option(s) for time or channel....Honestly not seeing the advantage to TIVO over Fios DVR....yet
there is no option for time, but there def is for the channel, it's the first option on the "season pass recording options screen"

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
brianric

Quote:
Just went in to search for Dexter, Dexter (HD) highlighted, selected Season Pass, channel was Showtime HD, CH 339. Doesn't give me a time or day. If you want a particular time or channel go to Guide, scroll to desired channel, then day and time and select show.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Just went in to search for Dexter, Dexter (HD) highlighted, selected Season Pass, channel was Showtime HD, CH 339. Doesn't give me a time or day. If you want a particular time or channel go to Guide, scroll to desired channel, then day and time and select show.
Thanks Brian...I just thought it easier to do a search, than look for it in the guide...I think another issue (for me, right now) the guide is showing ALL the Dexters as "New" , so my pick for "new" only has little effect and it grabs them all...Unless the guide needs to update itself...Is the "New" highlight new to TIVO or new episode...?? I mean I know it means new episode, but if never watched on TIVO will it mark em as new...?? Am I making sense..?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

The little yellow "new" tag is relatively meaningless and is not used in the logic Tivo uses for scheduling recordings.

The Tivo is smarter than you give it credit for, once you have it a while your trust will build!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The little yellow "new" tag is relatively meaningless and is not used in the logic Tivo uses for scheduling recordings.

The Tivo is smarter than you give it credit for, once you have it a while your trust will build!
I had the HD Tivo for DirectTv which was outstanding...It seems to have had a bunch more options that the "plus" does not seem to have, even tho its a decade older...Like looking forward to see whats on the channel you are viewing to see whats on later, or scrolling through the guide while watching full view TV....(Shows on the bottom) and obtaining time/slot for season pass....
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
Thanks Brian...I just thought it easier to do a search, than look for it in the guide...I think another issue (for me, right now) the guide is showing ALL the Dexters as "New" , so my pick for "new" only has little effect and it grabs them all...Unless the guide needs to update itself...Is the "New" highlight new to TIVO or new episode...?? I mean I know it means new episode, but if never watched on TIVO will it mark em as new...?? Am I making sense..?
It won't record the same episode twice if it's already in your recordings or it was recorded within the last 28 days (I think that's the time frame). Look at your to-do list to see what's going to record (or upcoming episodes for Dexter to see what will record)
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
dssxxxx

Quote:
I had the HD Tivo for DirectTv which was outstanding...It seems to have had a bunch more options that the "plus" does not seem to have, even tho its a decade older...Like looking forward to see whats on the channel you are viewing to see whats on later, or scrolling through the guide while watching full view TV....(Shows on the bottom) and obtaining time/slot for season pass....
The Plus does everything you just wrote. If you do not know the ins and outs of your Tivo, do not state it does not work.
dssxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
tatergator1

Quote:
Like looking forward to see whats on the channel you are viewing to see whats on later, or scrolling through the guide while watching full view TV....(Shows on the bottom) and obtaining time/slot for season pass....
Press the select button while watching Live TV. This will allow you to do exactly what you mention, view the guide overlaid at the bottom of full screen TV.

AS for your Season Pass complaints, it's also important to mention the 28-day rule Tivo uses in regards to determining "new" shows for a season pass. This means that a brand new Season Pass will record all episodes with an Original Air Date in the last 28 days as "new". I pulled up the listings for Dexter and see that new episodes aired on 8/4, 8/11, 8/18, 8/25. So, a new SP made today for Dexter set to First Run Only would still record the 8/11, 8/18, 8/25 shows. This is just something you have to work through with a new Tivo box.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssxxxx View Post
The Plus does everything you just wrote. If you do not know the ins and outs of your Tivo, do not state it does not work.
Never stated it did not work....I stated my DirectTV TIVO has more options than the present batch and its almost a decade old....Didnt say it was faster, didn't say it was the best thing since sliced bread..Nor was I trying to insult any fanboys...Read before correcting and NO it does not do the same thing as they are presently side by side...This is not, which is better MAC vs PC....Just not so obvious differences you do not see as you are not comparing.....I know I have only 9 posts, but have been here a very loong time and only chimed if I have something to ask or contribute...

Last edited by Borack : 09-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Press the select button while watching Live TV. This will allow you to do exactly what you mention, view the guide overlaid at the bottom of full screen TV.

AS for your Season Pass complaints, it's also important to mention the 28-day rule Tivo uses in regards to determining "new" shows for a season pass. This means that a brand new Season Pass will record all episodes with an Original Air Date in the last 28 days as "new". I pulled up the listings for Dexter and see that new episodes aired on 8/4, 8/11, 8/18, 8/25. So, a new SP made today for Dexter set to First Run Only would still record the 8/11, 8/18, 8/25 shows. This is just something you have to work through with a new Tivo box.

Thanks Tater...That is what I was talking about...I go into "To Do" and delete the xtra recordings scheduled. Just seems like an unnecessary step that isn't not necessary on generic boxes supplied with Fios....
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
tatergator1

Quote:
Thanks Tater...That is what I was talking about...I go into "To Do" and delete the xtra recordings scheduled. Just seems like an unnecessary step that isn't not necessary on generic boxes supplied with Fios....
As with any software, what some might think is a nice feature, others find it unnecessary/annoying. C'est la vie.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
jrtroo
User

Quote:
That is completely unnecessary.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Borack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
That is completely unnecessary.

Will it not record, two or three times if not...??
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
vurbano

Quote:
id prefer not to have a time slot and just let it go get new episodes only. BTW I had an HR10-250 as well and no way would I take it over the Roamio.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
mdscott

Quote:
The TiVo will not record the program again within 28 days.

If you have selected "First Run Only" and the program data supplied to TiVo is complete then it will also not pick up repeats later in the year.

If you look at the "History" screen [TiVo Central/Manage My Programs/History] the reasons a specific program will/has not record(ed) is shown. You will see that many To Do List entries do not record.

michael
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
macery

Quote:
as long as the guide data is correct, it will only record once. all of the extras are there really just in case if the TiVo asks permission to change the channel to start the recording and someone tells it no, or say there's a power outage preventing the recording from happening. The TiVo ToDoList already has the duplicates queued up and will record the next airing.

When the other airings actually start the TiVo will see that it has already successfully recorded that episode within the last 28 days and simply cancel it and not record.
macery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
jcole66

Season Pass Priority Tip

Here's my own Season Pass Tips to add to this thread.... Don't worry about the times things record, worry more about if they are shown multiple times in a week. I've found that any Network shows I have a Season Pass for (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) I have set as my top priorities as those networks tend to only play their shows once per week. Other networks (HBO/Showtime/AMC/Bravo or most Cable networks) play their shows multiple times per week so they have a lower priority in my Season Pass Manager.
This may not be so much of an issue now with 6 tuner devices, but with many new pilots/premiere episodes on Network channels starting soon you will be guaranteed not have an episode of a HBO show record (that will be repeated during the week) and miss the premiere of a returning Network Show.
jcole66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's how I do it too. With a 2 tuner unit you still had to be mindful of time slots and padding to prevent conflicts across the network stations, but with 4-6 tuners you can record primetime on all the major networks and never have a conflict.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote