TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Pulling the TiVo trigger...

Well I just put an Elite on hold at a local store. I'll be picking it up on my lunch break today. Wish me luck with the whole rebooting issues!

I'm trusting that most of the horror stories I've read here are the exception and that it will work fine with my cable provider.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
moyekj

It's not just rebooting issues, but tuning issues as well where after a while it loses ability to tune any channel. Best of luck and let us know how it works out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's not just rebooting issues, but tuning issues as well where after a while it loses ability to tune any channel. Best of luck and let us know how it works out...
I was worried as well but did it anyway and am glad I did. Four tuners is awesome and the space means no need to upgrade (for most).

I am knocking on wood here, but I haven't had any issues in the month I have had mine.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Bighouse
200 Club Member

I am at the store now. All paid for!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
superseagulls

Dissapointed

As someone new to Tivo also, I'm sorely disappointed with the Elite.
Tivo always had this reputation for being rock solid, and being a million times better than standard cable offerings. Sadly the whole channel dropping, reboots and other random freezes (and mystery 'go-slow's), I'm beginning to regret my purchase.
Don't get me wrong, when the 4 rings are glowing to show you that you are recording 4 shows you feel a certain warm smugness that you aren't missing out on anything, but unfortunately, I would not recommend an Elite to anyone until the (many) bugs are ironed out.
I believe my Direct Tv HDDVR of last year was more stable, and just as user friendly as the Tivo!
AVOID, while you still have a chance.......................
superseagulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseagulls View Post
As someone new to Tivo also, I'm sorely disappointed with the Elite.
Tivo always had this reputation for being rock solid, and being a million times better than standard cable offerings. Sadly the whole channel dropping, reboots and other random freezes (and mystery 'go-slow's), I'm beginning to regret my purchase.
Don't get me wrong, when the 4 rings are glowing to show you that you are recording 4 shows you feel a certain warm smugness that you aren't missing out on anything, but unfortunately, I would not recommend an Elite to anyone until the (many) bugs are ironed out.
I believe my Direct Tv HDDVR of last year was more stable, and just as user friendly as the Tivo!
Issues should be more dependent on cable providers. Like one that uses tuning adapters might have more issues than one that doesn't.

I'm using two Elites on FiOS and they are working great. I used to have a reboot issue when I messed with the online Season Pass manager so I used to avoid using it with my Elites. But starting a week ago I have not had any issues. I've been purposely messing with the online SP manager every day and the boxes don't reboot any more. That was my reboot issue which was initally solved by not using the online SP manager. But now the problem seems to be gone. The Elite has been very reliable. Otherwise I would not have purchased a second one.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-12-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling doH!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseagulls View Post
As someone new to Tivo ..
Too late! I'm at my local Comcast office now in line for a cable card. The Elite is out in my car and I'll be heading home once I get the card in-hand!

I'll post my results.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
djwilso

Good luck. Had my Elite since launch day and had some reboots back in the beginning.

Ever since I replaced my cable modem, I've had no more reboots and my router has been up for 97 days (since the day the new cable modem went in). Before that, the router needed about one reboot every week. Turns out it was the cable modem's fault all along.

Now, don't get me wrong. A flaky Internet connection should by no means make the TiVo reboot; that is a lame excuse. But having the rock-solid Internet connection has resulted in a rock-solid TiVo Premiere Elite, so I am happy.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Bighouse
200 Club Member

"Getting Program Info"...

Cable guy will be here tomorrow between 8 and noon with cablecard.

Last edited by Bighouse : 04-12-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
"Getting Program Info"...

Cable guy will be here tomorrow between 8 and noon with cablecard.
You shouldn't need Comcast to come out to install a CableCard and make sure they don't charge you. All they will do is call in the Host ID, etc to dispatch or whatever, it's a waste to have them come there.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
You shouldn't need Comcast to come out to install a CableCard and make sure they don't charge you. All they will do is call in the Host ID, etc to dispatch or whatever, it's a waste to have them come there.
I'm glad I had the cable guy come to my house on mine because he had a hell of a time getting them to work. The first one took a while, and a few calls in to Charter (by him) to get it synched up. The second one wouldn't work at all and he had to come back the next day with another one. I suggested bringing an extra one to make sure he had one that worked. Fortunately, he brought three.

I hope others have an easier time with the CableCARD thing, but I would have probably gone crazy having to deal with that. I did the rest of the uninstalls of previous Tivos and installs of new ones, etc, without incident, but the CCard part of it was a freaking nightmare.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Bighouse
200 Club Member

GoEagles, I went to my local cable company to get one and install it myself. They only had one in stock and it was a very old one. So they told me to call the 800 number and they would mail one out for me and I would get it in a few days. But when they tried to locate a newer one they were having some kind of problem with shipping on it so they offered to send out a guy with a truck who would have the cards on board. And they waived the service charge given the shipping unavailability for the card. So, I get a card several days earlier, a tech to help me work out any issues, the possibility of multiple cards if the first one doesn't work and all that for free! So I will pass on your advice, but thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
GoEagles, I went to my local cable company to get one and install it myself. They only had one in stock and it was a very old one. So they told me to call the 800 number and they would mail one out for me and I would get it in a few days. But when they tried to locate a newer one they were having some kind of problem with shipping on it so they offered to send out a guy with a truck who would have the cards on board. And they waived the service charge given the shipping unavailability for the card. So, I get a card several days earlier, a tech to help me work out any issues, the possibility of multiple cards if the first one doesn't work and all that for free! So I will pass on your advice, but thanks!
Nice to hear some good cableco news for a change.

Whaaat? A cable company with customer service? Don't they know they'll ruin it for every other cable company?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
pmiranda

If it's a bust, you have 30 days to take it back and get out of the service fees. Well worth trying IMO.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
If it's a bust, you have 30 days to take it back and get out of the service fees. Well worth trying IMO.
Oh yeah! I'm definitely going to give it a good 29 day run! If I do experience any of the issues I've been reading about its going back to BestBuy!

I'm actually a tad bit disappointed that TiVo hasn't stepped forward to acknowledge the issue many are having and make a statement about it. A "We are aware of the issue and are working towards a solution with our cable provider partners. We expect to have the issue resolved soon" would go a long way towards improving customer relations. At least something in the way of a private email to those on the forum who've had issues! Of course if they aren't working on a remedy the statement would be meaningless (and shame!)- but I have to assume they read these forums!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
jrtroo
User

No way would they put out a statement like that (plus, many here likely means very few overall). Check in with Margaret on twitter- she has noted issues in the past and has informed us all of the soon to come updates to the software.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Lrscpa

I have had a virtually flawless experience two months in on my Elite, TiVo HD for four years, and Series two before that.

Over the 10 years I've had with TiVo, the hard drive has failed in each of the previous devices once, and the WD Expansion drives have failed twice.

Chances are you will be very happy with the Elite. It may take a few weeks to get the bugs out, but most of us are happy.

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Well the Comcast cable guy just passed the four-hour appointment window they gave me....wonder if he's going to call soon or show up??
Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
sharkster

Yikes! Hate that. One good thing with Charter is that if it starts to get toward the end of the 'window' they will call me with updated info (like the guy who had my work order is running late, etc).

Last time it was a particular drag because my guy was running late so they called a different guy and gave him my work order (when I was getting the two CableCARDs installed) and the guy didn't pay attention and only brought one. Then he had to find somebody else with some time who went and got him the other one (which didn't work and he had to come back the next day, but that was another story).

I was glad when all was said and done, and my two Premieres were up and running. Going from two, single-tuner, Series 2 boxes it has been a delight once everything was set up and Tivo had done their updates.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Well... Finally got the cablecard installed and have been watching for an hour...went to select season pass manager and it froze up and rebooted!

This does not bode well...but I will defer judgement for a while to allow it to stabilize more.

Last edited by Bighouse : 04-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Sure is slow when switching screens and functions. Is there a way to speed it up??? Sometimes the video window is there by itself on a otherwise black,blank interface for a couple of seconds...and I think it's frozen!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Has it updated to the newest software yet? Do that first before anything else.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Sure is slow when switching screens and functions. Is there a way to speed it up??? Sometimes the video window is there by itself on a otherwise black,blank interface for a couple of seconds...and I think it's frozen!
Lots of indexing and updating going on at the moment...

If in a couple of days it still seems slow, switch over to the SDUI.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Has it updated to the newest software yet? Do that first before anything else.
Yes actually I had the newest software installed even before the cable card was installed.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
dsnotgood

Quote:
Yes actually I had the newest software installed even before the cable card was installed.
Yea sometimes messing with the season pass lags it up. I think its reworking all of the priority stuff and sometimes freezes and reboots.

honestly other than that...my 2 premieres have been pretty flawless. No complaints. I agree with the other poster...give it a few days to do all the indexing / processing and get used to everything. It should be running well in a few days.

You will like it and wonder why you waited so long.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote