TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
sean33

TiVo HD Owner than never went Lifetime - What to do?

Hi,

I've had my TiVO for years now and never chose to switch to a lifetime because I was waiting for the next great box but I never thought the Premiere was it. But now I am sitting here paying a monthly fee and passed the lifetime cost twice over. What should I do? I see in the spring sale they have the Premiere XL available with a lifetime. Or should I just change my TiVo HD sub to a lifetime a suck it up?

Thanks,
Sean
sean33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
aztivo

I would just hang tight. The thought is tivo will have a new box late this year. At that point buy it and lifetime
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
CAAvidTivoUser

Any details on the new Tivo?
CAAvidTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAvidTivoUser View Post
Any details on the new Tivo?
We should know more at the Cable Show in June.

All we know is rumor based right now. They are also waiting on the FCC to grant their waiver which was granted last time while they were at the Cable Show which will determine some factors about the hardware.

To the OP you might try calling TiVo and see if they will give you the $99 lifetime which some people have been able to get on old active TiVo HDs. Of course if you don't plan on using it after the new box it might not be worth the price difference of paying monthly for 5-6 more months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

I would also hang tight for new hardware, probably in the Sept/Oct timeframe, but we'll know details sooner. We don't know exactly what they'll have, but chances are strong that it'll have a performance boost over current Premiere boxes, if nothing else.

As innocentfreak mentioned, you could try to call and get the $99 Lifetime service if you want to. I was able to get it for mine when I selected the cancellation department. You could then sell it for easily more than that (the current going rate for Lifetime THD's is roughly $250 give or take on ebay) to cover a little bit of the cost of the new box if you wish.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Chris Gerhard

Of course don't buy lifetime for the TiVoHD unless you can get the $99. I would agree wait for an announcement of new hardware unless you are certain the TiVo Premiere will do everything you want.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Of course don't buy lifetime for the TiVoHD unless you can get the $99. I would agree wait for an announcement of new hardware unless you are certain the TiVo Premiere will do everything you want.
Totally agree. Get $99 lifetime if you can and wait it out for the new box.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
sean33

Thanks for the replies. I'll try calling up TiVo and seeing if I can get an upgrade. I should have realized that I would be sticking with TiVo when I cut the cord and gone to a lifetime a 3 years ago. Hopefully the new boxes will continue to have strong OTA support. Oh well.
sean33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
JoeTaxpayer

If you can't get the $99 deal, there are tivos for sale that are lifetime, and cost less than the lifetime subscription. And depending what you want, when the new models go on sale, you'll have a opportunity to pick up the current models pretty cheap.