TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

are my uploaded shows counted in the ratings?

if i download a program from the web then upload it on the premiere, will tivo know that i watched it and count it with the ratings?

and what if it's not 'named' correctly. for instance if by some reason CSI is misspelled CIS, will they know it's CSI because of some underlying code etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
mattack

I have no info either way, but I strongly suspect 'no'.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
newsposter
Poster of News

so there's some kind of code that is absent in the vids or pics that are uploaded then i assume? (since dont go by name)

!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Riverdome

Let me ask the reverse. If you record something on Tivo but never watch it does it still get "counted" - whatever that means.

The answer to my hypothetical is yes. The counting is going to occur at the time of the broadcast recording and not when you press play to watch the program. Since your transfer is nothing more than a file transfer across your home network there is nothing to count.

Just think of the fraud that could occur if that did count. At least with the current setup your tuner was tuned to the show, the commercials were in fact broadcast and there's a chance someone watched them. If a file copy "counted" well you can see how easily the advertisers could be misled.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Riverdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
if i download a program from the web then upload it on the premiere, will tivo know that i watched it and count it with the ratings?

and what if it's not 'named' correctly. for instance if by some reason CSI is misspelled CIS, will they know it's CSI because of some underlying code etc.
Sorry gotta ask - why are you asking?
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Don't our watching habits just go to TiVo or our the habits sent to Nielson Ratings as well?
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
Let me ask the reverse. If you record something on Tivo but never watch it does it still get "counted" - whatever that means.

The answer to my hypothetical is yes. The counting is going to occur at the time of the broadcast recording and not when you press play to watch the program. Since your transfer is nothing more than a file transfer across your home network there is nothing to count.

Just think of the fraud that could occur if that did count. At least with the current setup your tuner was tuned to the show, the commercials were in fact broadcast and there's a chance someone watched them. If a file copy "counted" well you can see how easily the advertisers could be misled.
well thats an interesting point, never thought of that...d/l 100 eps of CSI, upload to tivo and ratings boost!

but on the flipside if it's really recorded as 'watched' when i record something off OTA, but not when i 'watch it', there really is no point since that could be weeks after.

!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Sorry gotta ask - why are you asking?
over the holiday i caught up with many series that i've not watched. and i even have one thats well over 1 year old. so i got to thinking, while i know tivo collects 'data' i didnt know exactly what they observed and when, or what they actually saw.

prior to this thread i never really thought a show that was watched ' a while' after it was aired really counted, but i didnt know it for sure. and for shows i downloaded right away(next day) i wasnt sure if they would somehow count in some 'final ratings' of some sort.

also i didnt know what in the file tivo actual scans..the title (which now that i think about it they really cant because of the poster above that said there could be fraud) or the actual bits and bytes and it somehow knows the 'real' file would be CSI, in my example

!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

The answer to my hypothetical is yes. The counting is going to occur at the time of the broadcast recording and not when you press play to watch the program.
Of course, your answer to your hypothetical, is itself, only hypothetical.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
No, itís not counted. The TiVo has no idea what the uploaded video is youíre watching. Itís just ďa videoĒ to it. It has no idea if the video is an episode of CSI or is a home video of your kidís birthday party.

Quote:

The answer to my hypothetical is yes. The counting is going to occur at the time of the broadcast recording and not when you press play to watch the program
Recording but not watching is not enough to be counted. The "Play" button has to be pressed. I don't know if just pressing the button is enough, or if they look for some percentage length of the show to actually be played back.

They (Nielsen) have two stats for shows recorded by TiVos/DVRs....
1) They count shows watched within some number of hours after its recorded. i.e., I don't fully remember, but it's something like if you record a show, then it will be counted in this stat if you watch it before 5am (3am?) the next day.
2) Those that watch a recorded show within 7 days after it's recorded.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
No, itís not counted. The TiVo has no idea what the uploaded video is youíre watching. Itís just ďa videoĒ to it. It has no idea if the video is an episode of CSI or is a home video of your kidís birthday party.
well thats a bummer, hows the kid gonna become famous and charge high advertising rates then?

!