TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
KD9917

SD channels on HD receiver

Is there any picture quality benefit seen with SD channels when a HD receiver is used and connect via HDMI rather then connected with no HD receiver using composite video a/v cables.

In other words is it worth the cost to upgrade to HD receiver and not purchase HD channels.
KD9917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
ADent

You can see the compression artifacts with more precision?

Really S-Video has much better resolution than most of the SD channels on DirecTV.

The receiver will have more formatting options - like zoom, stretch, etc that your TV may not have.

The receiver may have better SD upscaling than your TV. Or it could be vice-versa.

I thought the HD receivers had to pay the HD fee???
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
KD9917

ADent,

You might be right about having to pay the HD fee if Directv send you the HD receiver. I was thinking along the lines of picking a used HD unit etc. My HDTV does not have s-video input only Composite and Component inputs. Currently I have an R10 Tivo box connected to HDTV via composite video. The picture is pretty rough, not completely unwatchable but rough. I wanted to know if that picture quality would get better if using an HD receiver and HDMI connection even though still viewing SD channels.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
My experience is that SD channels look better with the HR10 (and a component or HDMI output) than using composite or S-Video.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
KD9917

I take it the HR-10's are still supported by Directv if I were able to pick one up somewhere?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Supported for SD, yes. I have one I am no longer using, I suppose I should put it up for sale.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I hooked up an old SD box today to test it before putting it on ebay. I can't believe how horrible SD looks now that I have been using HD for the past 5 years. I don't think it is worth it to upgrade if you are going to continue to record SD content from DirecTV.

As far as the HD fee goes, I think that is just silly for DTV to charge that. This is 2012. Pretty much every channel is available in HD now. They should charge extra for keeping a satellite in orbit to run those awful MPEG2 SD channels.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
KD9917

Will the HR10 work with a Phase III dish? Did you have an idea of cost if you were to sell it?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, the HR10 will work with a Phase III dish. The box I have is "hacked", has a 400GB disk, and includes an Ethernet adapter. $75 plus shipping.