TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Lenonn

Question Decision time: replace hard drive or upgrade?

Well, it finally happened: the series 2 single tuner's hard drive gave out. The series 2 we bought in 2003 (monthly service on it), replaced the hard drive with a larger one back in 2004 or 2005 and put a replacement power supply about two years ago. We have it hooked up to a cable box in a guest room where it doesn't get much use; it is connected to to a 32-inch HDTV.

So now, decision time: Replace the hard drive again or is time to give up and move on to a Premiere? I hate to give up on a piece of technology that still (mostly) works fine (a habit I picked up from my parents). I had the thought of replacing the Series 2 with the Series 3 from my bedroom, and thus placing an Elite/XL4 in my bedroom.

Replacing the hard drive is a bit more work, but if I get rid of the Series 2, I can send one of the cable boxes back to the cable company. I honestly don't know which way to proceed. Any other pros/cons that I'm missing here?
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenonn View Post
Well, it finally happened: the series 2 single tuner's hard drive gave out. The series 2 we bought in 2003 (monthly service on it), replaced the hard drive with a larger one back in 2004 or 2005 and put a replacement power supply about two years ago. We have it hooked up to a cable box in a guest room where it doesn't get much use; it is connected to to a 32-inch HDTV.

So now, decision time: Replace the hard drive again or is time to give up and move on to a Premiere? I hate to give up on a piece of technology that still (mostly) works fine (a habit I picked up from my parents). I had the thought of replacing the Series 2 with the Series 3 from my bedroom, and thus placing an Elite/XL4 in my bedroom.

Replacing the hard drive is a bit more work, but if I get rid of the Series 2, I can send one of the cable boxes back to the cable company. I honestly don't know which way to proceed. Any other pros/cons that I'm missing here?
Monthly payments from 2003!! 9 years or about 108 months X $9.99=over $1000 paid to TiVo for a savings of an upfront cost of $299 (for Lifetime Service) and you could get at least $100 back by selling the TiVo on E-Bay if it had Lifetime Service.
To answer your question if you don't care about HD than fix the Series 2 and call TiVo to get the $99 Lifetime Service on it, if anybody qualifies for that program you do.
To go the the Series 4 with Lifetime Service your upfront cost will start at about $450 (the original 45h referb) to about $750 for the XL4, don't cancel your Series 2 service until you get your MSD on any new unit you may purchase.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

One small advantage of keeping your current setup is you won't have to deal with a tuning adapter -- if your cable system is using SDV that is. I'm guessing the STB performs more reliable tuning than a TA/CableCARD system, which is far from reliable for a lot of us, especially those on Time Warner Cable.

I believe another advantage is your MRV or TTG would not be disabled by copy protection, again especially on TWC.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Lenonn

Yeah, we have RCN, and they aren't using SDV (and don't have plans to, as far as I can tell).

Regarding the monthly payments - I've been trying not to think about that. Back when I first got TiVo, I wasn't sold on lifetime. It wasn't until the later ones that I realized what a great deal it is - of course, with the later ones, I was actually gainfully employed and could spend the money .
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

If it were me, I'd forget about the series 2 and get a premiere xl4. Then I'd also consider replacing the series 3, so that MRS would work between them. Or I'd wait on replacing the s3 to maybe use whatever TiVo is working on with their streamers.

Either way, I'd grab me an xl4 and get rid of the series2.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote