TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
rexreed

Tivo and mp4 signals

Former ion stations in Houston have moved to a low power frequency. In the former ch 49 is now the main ion channel and about ten subchannels. My research reveals they are encrypted premium movie channels and also Spanish Tv. A special reciever is required to pick up the premium channels. The box is from airbox tv. I would not mind Showtime for a small fee. No way I want another box though, the Premiere is doing just fine. I do wonder if the new company box will have a guide since there is a payment plan...and I wonder if Tivo would ever be able to have a compatible device that picks up the encrypted channels?
rexreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
LoREvanescence

That's Interesting, I didn't think they could do pay tv over the air?

Could a TiVo take the MP4 Stream, I would say it could. They already support it with cable and MP4/H.264 is in ATSC SPECS. The TiVo Has the required hardware, though it might require a software update.

But since you state its encrypted and a pay tv plan, that's a whole new ballpark.

Chances are they will not support it on any boxes but their own, and it would require a TiVo Software update for sure to access these channels. They are not using CableCards, so I wonder if it would infect be possible to have a decryption key / activate devices based on a subscription.

With that being said, I would say that no, TiVo's will not support this type of Pay OTA.

It would be a lot of work for a little market, would require partnerships between TiVo and the Pay TV Provider which they probably don't want, they want people to use their own boxes most likely.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The OP never said OTA, but I suspect this is cable (with the note to showtime).
ION is available on OTA as well as cable.

To the OP (RexReed), If you did not have a cable card (and a tuning adapter), you would need one now.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
LoREvanescence

I assumed OTA because the OP said Sub Channels, and ION is often normally found on OTA, in most cases a sub channel it self.

Looking up the Airbox TV Receiver, it is indeed for Over The Air Pre Paid Subscription services, and talks about how Starz can be added for a extra $10 a month.

Quote:
The over-the-air subscription service AirBox, broadcasting over subchannels of Ion stations across the nation, has turned on its website with details of its two packages.

Paquete Latino, for $10 a month, is the basic service level with five channels: TeleFórmula, Cine Méxicano, Pasiones, Sorpresa and GolTV.

Starz can be added for an additional $10 monthly.

The AirBox receivers retail for $99. The website lists a number of locations around Houston where the boxes will be available.
It looks like some of the higher packages even have the NFL Channel. I guess, they have up to 57 channels.

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 01-26-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

And... I guess I never heard of Airbox.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
That's Interesting, I didn't think they could do pay tv over the air?
I think the rule is that they have to provide one MPEG2 subchannel in the clear, and can pretty much do what they want with the rest of their channel? Fortunately it doesn't seem like this kind of scheme has caught on much. Yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
LoREvanescence

I would imagine that all these channels would be SD right? They wouldn't be able to offer that many sub channels in HD.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
rexreed

Right now it is a soft launch in Houston. Not a whole lot of marketing. The most publicity seems to have come when a lot of ota viewers lost qubo. The pay channels are SD. Other city's may be getting ready to do the same thing, ion has a lot of markets. I doubt there is any money in selling the hardware so a partnership with tivo could be a possibility...maybe. Still this is a setback for ota veiwers like me.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
rexreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I think the rule is that they have to provide one MPEG2 subchannel in the clear, and can pretty much do what they want with the rest of their channel? Fortunately it doesn't seem like this kind of scheme has caught on much. Yet.
I really hope it doesn't catch on since it is gobbling up good channels.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexreed View Post
Right now it is a soft launch in Houston. Not a whole lot of marketing. The most publicity seems to have come when a lot of ota viewers lost qubo. The pay channels are SD. Other city's may be getting ready to do the same thing, ion has a lot of markets. I doubt there is any money in selling the hardware so a partnership with tivo could be a possibility...maybe. Still this is a setback for ota veiwers like me.

Could a partnership be possible, of course?

What is the likelihood? Slim to june. Unless this really takes off nation wide and people really start to adopt it I don't see tiro doing anything. It would take a lot of resources for something that most people are not going to use / need.

If a partnership does happen, look at how long it's taken to get VOD from Cable Companies, Comcast is still the only cable company that has come though, and the rollout is slow.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
And... I guess I never heard of Airbox.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=airbox

The encoded subchannels can cause problems for some tuners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPXB-TV

Last edited by JoeKustra : 01-26-2014 at 01:20 PM.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote