TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
jhrain

We're still with Tivo, but no longer DirecTV

Well, we finally made the break. We hope we don't regret it, but 2 weeks before Thanksgiving the final straw broke this camels back. Shows weren't recording properly on our DirecTV Tivo's.

Hours of testing, resetting and a visit from a tech (again), seemed to resolve our issues. Then Glee, Revolution and CSI NY didn't record on either of our Tivo's. The HR24 only recorded one of the shows.

So, I purchased a Premier XL4 and a Premier. I phoned Charter Cable, they were out in 48 hours with two cable cards. One hour later we were connected via Wireless N and all channel data was downloaded and Tivo updated to the latest O/S.

We signed into our Tivo account online, used their brilliantly designed T.V. guide and I had 40+ shows added to Season Pass manager in about one hour. The DirecTv boxes arrived today and I'll have them at the Post Office tomorrow morning. We became a DTV subscriber in 2003 because they offered at the time a full fledged Tivo. Then moved to HD 10-250... then their prices started to go up and we were forced to use their DVR. Dissat just kept growing and culminated in us moving to the new DirecTv Tivo units that are out today. Seemed okay, until August...

Now that we've been using the Tivo's for a couple of weeks, we are both amazed as to why we ever left. The picture seems sharper, and we can't figure out why. The Premier XL4 is brilliant. Super fast and we have fallen in love all over again. I LOVE transferring content to my laptop for roadtrips. With the holidays coming, we can load up our laptops for those times when we need to "escape family.. hee hee".

OH... and when all was said and done, we are actually saving $82/MO. So, in 11 months we will have recovered our initial investment and then begin saving. So, it all comes out in the wash, as they say.

Happy Holidays,
JIM

Happy with TIVO Again
jhrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Welcome back.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Dave in Houston

Please keep us posted on how this works out for you. I'm still watching an old SD DirecTivo unit on my HD TV. It's unfulfilling, but I haven't been willing to sign up for either the new DirecTivo or a DirecTV HD DVR.

I'm thinking of getting a new Tivo and switching from DirecTV to Comcast, so if anyone has done that, I'd be particularly interested in how it worked.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrain View Post
The picture seems sharper, and we can't figure out why. The Premier XL4 is brilliant.
The picture seems sharper because you want it to be. My direcTV DVR's have never missed a recording. They are rock solid, if unspectacular.

Unfortunately, Tivo's future is murky at best. There just aren't enough people willing to pay the premium for the extras they offer. Enjoy them while they last.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
tbh999

Arrow I would love to switch back to Tivo but...

Well, I just ran the numbers again and, it just doesn't make economic sense for me to dump DirecTV and go with Cable and Tivo. Here's my comparison:
  • I presently have three networked HD DirecTV DVR (the old DirecTivo's have all gone into the closet) - My cost, with about 150 channels, is ~$89/month.
  • Looked a the cost to get three Tivo Premieres and using my Local Cable Company (enTouch). The cost with about the same number of channels is ~$98/month.
The cost from my cable provided is about $58/month, but what keeps the Tivo option from being cost effective is the Tivo Service fee. DirecTV charges an additional $6 for each additional DVR, Tivo want more than twice as much at ~$13 for each.

The DirecTV DVR's are just OK. I really would like to go back to Tivo, but I'm trying to find ways to cut costs, and this doesn't seem to do it for me. Am I wrong about the cost of the Tivo Service fee? Are there "Household" discounts I'm not aware of?

HR20-100s (x2)
HR10-250
R10
tbh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
TiVo has a "Multi-Service Discount" but I no longer am familiar with the details.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
tbh999

Well, I think the service fee is $14.99 for one unit, and $12.99 for multiple units (which is more than twice what I pay DirecTV at $6 per unit).

HR20-100s (x2)
HR10-250
R10
tbh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

The way to cut costs is to dump your cable or satellite and just use antenna broadcast TV and get DVDs from the library for free. Many areas have 40 or more channels, although about 20 are of interest to most people. That includes two or more channels dedicated just for kids and lots of international programing from around the world. ( I am currently recording a show from Cyprus and I love to watch the news shows from around the world. They certainly have a different viewpoint from the USA biased reporting from all sources. )
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
40 or more channels - sure. Most of them are shopping and religious channels, plus PBS subchannels. And that's if you're within a few miles of the transmitters. I can pick up only two of the five major networks with an amplified antenna on my roof. Most of the programming we watch is not on broadcast TV.