TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #31
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypacman View Post
I had to give the moms their credit though - they kept positive and did it.
Absolutely. You could tell they were crushed when they realized they had to do the whiskey barrel challenge (don't blame them.) They certainly nailed it.

Yes, they did a great job and kept positive, but saying that they kicked major butt is not right.

I don't think they'll win, but I wish them well.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Sure they had a speed bump, but it was a pretty tame one (ohh, you must get a strike. ) Also it looked like the pub was nearby, so not that big of a deal.
Given the fact that it was a very crooked lane, with a ball with no holes, and they had to manually go reset the pins every time, this was a much harder speed bump than many (remember the "sit on this ice block for 10 minutes" one?). And I say this as a bowler.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I agree. As a bowler, a strike would be relatively easy for me, but not on a manual lane and without finger holes.

During practice, I've tried to bowl without the aid of fingers or thumb and believe me, it's hard enough to keep the ball straight, let alone get a strike!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I agree. As a bowler, a strike would be relatively easy for me, but not on a manual lane and without finger holes.

During practice, I've tried to bowl without the aid of fingers or thumb and believe me, it's hard enough to keep the ball straight, let alone get a strike!
And the lane was seriously curved!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #35
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Given the fact that it was a very crooked lane, with a ball with no holes, and they had to manually go reset the pins every time, this was a much harder speed bump than many (remember the "sit on this ice block for 10 minutes" one?). And I say this as a bowler.
I wasn't watching back when they had that ice block speed bump, but I agree that is pretty easy.

Don't get me wrong, I think they did a great job and they nailed the whisky barrel one, but I wouldn't say they "kicked butt."

Kicking butt would've been winning the state or coming close to it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #36
mattack

I've seen at least one person (I think multiple people, actually) bowl without using the finger holes after they injured their hand.

So with a bagpipe, I presume your blowing is just keeping the thing inflated (and the mouthpiece is one-way), and you're essentially making sound like letting air out of a balloon (but your arm is making the pressure, not the rubber of a balloon contracting)???
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #37
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I've seen at least one person (I think multiple people, actually) bowl without using the finger holes after they injured their hand.
But:

1) they got to practice a lot
2) they were on standard, well maintained lanes
3) they didn't have to run to the end of the lane and set up their own pins after every non-strike.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #38
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
I started out bowling at about 7 or 8 years old without using the finger holes. My hand was too small for the hole spacing, so I'd hold the ball with both hands to roll it.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
I started out bowling at about 7 or 8 years old without using the finger holes. My hand was too small for the hole spacing, so I'd hold the ball with both hands to roll it.
As do most little kids. And how many strikes do they get? And what is their success rate on some crappy lane in Scotland?
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #40
laria
Librocubicularist

I started out bowling as a kid in New England. Finger holes? What are those?

For those that may not know, for a long time, bowling alleys in New England were predominantly candlepin bowling. I think that most alleys that are still open though have switched more to the big-ball bowling.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #41
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
I bet you get some weird looks if you continue to bowl like that.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

For those that may not know, for a long time, bowling alleys in New England were predominantly candlepin bowling. I think that most alleys that are still open though have switched more to the big-ball bowling.
I miss the little alley that was by my house when I lived in MA.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sawyers-bowl...e-northborough
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #43
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

Is that the same as Duckpins? I've played that a few times. Smaller ball with no finger holes, and the pins are a bit skinnier and spaced to make it much harder to get a strike.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #44
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Is that the same as Duckpins? I've played that a few times. Smaller ball with no finger holes, and the pins are a bit skinnier and spaced to make it much harder to get a strike.
Sounds like it... candlepin balls are like big skeeballs and the pins are shaped different.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
eddyj

Not sure what the ones with the bands are, but the others are duckpin, candlepin and regular pin.

I think the duckpin and candlepin balls are the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #46
trainman
Nice to see you

In the '60s and '70s, a lot of places had a local "Bowling for Dollars" TV show.

Except Boston. Boston had "Candlepins for Cash."
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #47
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So with a bagpipe, I presume your blowing is just keeping the thing inflated (and the mouthpiece is one-way), and you're essentially making sound like letting air out of a balloon (but your arm is making the pressure, not the rubber of a balloon contracting)???
I've never played a bagpipe, but I've played another wind instrument which had an intermediate chamber, instead of being a straight stick where your breath directly controls the air in the pipe.

With a pipe, you have a much better feel for how much air pressure you need to maintain to hold a steady note. Once you introduce that bag in the middle of things, you don't get the same feedback. It's super-easy to have either under-pressure, or over-pressure, in which case you get squeaks or nothing.

In short -- it looks like it might be easier to keep a steady pressure if you are filling the bag, and then using the bag pressure to play. But I wouldn't bet on it.

One mistake a lot of people made: they had the mouthpiece in the center of their mouth, the way you would blow into a recorder. Notice that the pipers who were teaching them had the mouthpiece off to the side. No wonder all the racers were getting muscle fatigue -- they were probably trying to blow like you do when you blow up a balloon, instead of holding the mouthpiece in place and breathing from their diaphragms.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #48
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
In the '60s and '70s, a lot of places had a local "Bowling for Dollars" TV show.

Except Boston. Boston had "Candlepins for Cash."
I wasted many hours watching that! It was on '73-'82.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #49
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post

Not sure what the ones with the bands are, but the others are duckpin, candlepin and regular pin.

I think the duckpin and candlepin balls are the same.
The one in the middle with the band is from 5-pin bowling, which is apparently only played in Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-pin_bowling). As the name suggests, there are only 5 pins, arranged in a "V" pattern (which means if you throw your first ball straight down the middle, there's a good chance you'll take out just the middle pin, making it a lot harder to pick up the spare). Like the others, it is also played with a smaller ball than 10-pin, with no finger holes.

According to Wikipedia, the duckpin with the band is a variant of duckpin called rubber band duckpin.