TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Time_Lord

Getting service on a used TiVO?

I currently have a Premiere unit with lifetime service and was thinking about purchasing a second unit, I was waffling back and forth if I should get the Premiere 4 (no interested in the XL models as I have no need for THX) and decided that with two units I don't really need a 4 tuner unit.

So the question is, if I buy a used Premiere that currently does not have service does TiVo allow me to add it to my account and purchase lifetime service on the unit for the reduced price of $399 (vs the regular $499)?

Any special hoops I have to jump through to prove its in the same location as the other unit?

I figured I'd ask here before I purchase a unit or raise a red flag with TiVO.

Thanks,

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
csm10495
Badoop Badoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
I currently have a Premiere unit with lifetime service and was thinking about purchasing a second unit, I was waffling back and forth if I should get the Premiere 4 (no interested in the XL models as I have no need for THX) and decided that with two units I don't really need a 4 tuner unit.

So the question is, if I buy a used Premiere that currently does not have service does TiVo allow me to add it to my account and purchase lifetime service on the unit for the reduced price of $399 (vs the regular $499)?

Any special hoops I have to jump through to prove its in the same location as the other unit?

Thanks,

-TL
Once you transfer the TiVo to your account you should be able to get PLS for $399. Shouldn't be any special hoops to jump through
Netflix 1 DVD At A Time - Unlimited Streaming
csm10495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:

Thanks,

-TL
I looked into this several months back and as recently as August of last year if the used TiVo had completed it's commitment (12 months) then yes. If it was monthly and only used 3 months you would need to finish the monthly for the remaining 9 months before you can change the plan associated with that TiVo unit. Remember service plans go with the unit not the customer. Buying a used TiVo you can't get the extended warranty and not knowing the conditions it was stored in; It may have been in an environment hostile to its parts (excessive heat).

I decided to buy a second new TiVo from Best Buy and add the 4 year extended warranty. TiVo customer service policy that a 3rd party extended warranty that replaces a unit with a lifetime service plan they will honor that and transfer the lifetime plan to the replacement device with written confirmation the unit was replaced by the servicing plan.

So in a short the answer to your question is MAYBE! Get the service number of the used TiVo and call TiVo customer service they can tell you how many months if any remain before it is eligible to change the plan.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
bobdole888

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
I looked into this several months back and as recently as August of last year if the used TiVo had completed it's commitment (12 months) then yes. If it was monthly and only used 3 months you would need to finish the monthly for the remaining 9 months before you can change the plan associated with that TiVo unit. Remember service plans go with the unit not the customer. Buying a used TiVo you can't get the extended warranty and not knowing the conditions it was stored in; It may have been in an environment hostile to its parts (excessive heat).

I decided to buy a second new TiVo from Best Buy and add the 4 year extended warranty. TiVo customer service policy that a 3rd party extended warranty that replaces a unit with a lifetime service plan they will honor that and transfer the lifetime plan to the replacement device with written confirmation the unit was replaced by the servicing plan.

So in a short the answer to your question is MAYBE! Get the service number of the used TiVo and call TiVo customer service they can tell you how many months if any remain before it is eligible to change the plan.
This doesn't make any sense.
Any unit should be eligible for an upgrade to lifetime any time.
I don't t think you need pay up 1 year before you are allow to go lifetime.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
This doesn't make any sense.
Any unit should be eligible for an upgrade to lifetime any time.
I don't t think you need pay up 1 year before you are allow to go lifetime.
It sounds odd that a purchaser of a previously used Tivo would be required to complete what would essentially be a broken contract by the previous owner. Many units were sold with the $0 down option and $19.99 a month for 12-24 months as a way for Tivo to recoup the costs of the "free" box. Now, if only a portion of the contract was fulfilled, Tivo is out the money for the box and would want to still recoup those costs. That being said, those contracts also had early termination fees, so even if the original purchaser broke the contract, the early termination fee should have covered the box cost.

Anyways, you should be able to get $399 PLS on a used box, assuming you are eligible for the PLS discount. You must have a "Qualifying Unit" to get the $399 price. Past experience tells me that a Qualifying Unit is a currently active box you either have a regularly priced monthly sub on, or a box with Lifetime that was purchased at full price ($499 right now, or what was full price for Lifetime in the past at time of purchase).
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
jcthorne

If you are thinking of buying a used unit, tivo routinely sells refubs with full warranty for $49 and they are ok for lifetime at $399. They have even offered refurbs for free with purchase of a lifetime but that offer was gone pretty quick.

I have bought several refurbs and other than being shipped in a brown box instead of full color, I cannot tell that they are not new, inside and out.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If you are thinking of buying a used unit, tivo routinely sells refubs with full warranty for $49 and they are ok for lifetime at $399. They have even offered refurbs for free with purchase of a lifetime but that offer was gone pretty quick.

I have bought several refurbs and other than being shipped in a brown box instead of full color, I cannot tell that they are not new, inside and out.
I purchased a refurbished original Series 3 HD, took 4 units to get one that actually worked out of the box. At the time I posted my saga for everyone's amusement. But after I got a good unit it was like new and has had no issues.

Tivo normally sells refurbished units through their Clearance Center, but do not have any listed at this time. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
BTW, if you don't really want/need that many tuners, but want the capability and/or future possibility of wanting the tuners, one benefit a 4 tuner Tivo would give you would be to have ONE location for (most) of your season passes, to have one place to "manage".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I purchased a refurbished original Series 3 HD, took 4 units to get one that actually worked out of the box. At the time I posted my saga for everyone's amusement. But after I got a good unit it was like new and has had no issues.

Tivo normally sells refurbished units through their Clearance Center, but do not have any listed at this time. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign.
Tivo had all kinds of deals from Black Friday thru January on refurbed Premieres. I'm sure they sold out their stock.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
jcthorne

Just saw a banner ad on on this forum for reburb 500hr premiere for $49...... changing pages I saw an ad for 500hr referb for free with monthly sub. Both links worked so they still have refurbs for sale even if they do not appear in the clearance center.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Time_Lord

I broke down and bit the bullet and got a new Premiere 4 so depending upon what happens with the mini I will either keep the two premieres or dump the 2 tuner unit and get a mini.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote