TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
dsnotgood

scored an elite and a stupid low price....what to do

So while browsing Craigslist I saw an elite for 160 with the wireless N adapter...all brand new. So I drove about 2 hours to get it and now its at my house. I already have 2 premieres with lifetime and space and tuners are not really an issue ( most TV is garbage nowadays so very selective ), question is, should I sell the elite for 350, sell one premiere for 480 and add lifetime on elite or what? I'm really stuck.

Or add lifetime to elite and then sell that for more....arghhhh
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Sell the two tuner boxes and get lifetime on the Elite. The one Elite uses less than half the power of two, two tuner Premire boxes.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Sell the two tuner boxes and get lifetime on the Elite. The one Elite uses less than half the power of two, two tuner Premire boxes.
This assumes that he will never have any desire for OTA reception.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Can't, I need two boxes for 2 different TVs. I will only sell one if I decide to sell it. Another problem is no info on the mini and if they will work with 2 tuner premieres.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
This assumes that he will never have any desire for OTA reception.
Probably keeping cable for a while...currently pay $122 for fios with all cable channels plus movies, 35/35 internet and phone. Plus got a $500 gift card for signing up so its pretty cheap monthly.

Just wish I had more info on mini.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Mini will not work with a 2 tuner Premiere at launch. So if it were me I would sell one of the 2 tuner boxes to pay for lifetime on the Elite, then once the Mini comes out sell the other 2 tuner box, replace it with the Mini and pocket the difference. You'll end up with the same setup you have now except with all recordings in a centralized location that is easier to manage and the need for just one CableCARD and tuning adapter. Plus both the Elite and the Mini will have MoCa built in, so you can ditch the wifi network and use the more reliable MoCa network for streaming. (the Elite has a MoCa bridge built in, so if you still need wifi to connect to your router you can continue to do so and the Elite will automatically bridge the MoCa connected Mini to the wifi with just one wifi adapter)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Mini will not work with a 2 tuner Premiere at launch. So if it were me I would sell one of the 2 tuner boxes to pay for lifetime on the Elite, then once the Mini comes out sell the other 2 tuner box, replace it with the Mini and pocket the difference. You'll end up with the same setup you have now except with all recordings in a centralized location that is easier to manage and the need for just one CableCARD and tuning adapter. Plus both the Elite and the Mini will have MoCa built in, so you can ditch the wifi network and use the more reliable MoCa network for streaming. (the Elite has a MoCa bridge built in, so if you still need wifi to connect to your router you can continue to do so and the Elite will automatically bridge the MoCa connected Mini to the wifi with just one wifi adapter)

Dan
Yea thats what I am thinking to do too. I am just worried about how "channel surfing" will work on the mini since my parents dont really record stuff that often but just channel surf
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Yea thats what I am thinking to do too. I am just worried about how "channel surfing" will work on the mini since my parents dont really record stuff that often but just channel surf
From what I understand, the Mini will take control of one of the tuners on the Elite/XL4.
It will supposedly be just like having a single tuner Tivo at the remote location with access to the recordings on the Elite/XL4.

The one downside is that the "captured" tuner can't do double duty so the Elite/XL4 essentially becomes a 3 tuner machine rather than a 4 tuner machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote