TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
rjp34652

3D on TIVO

In answer to a query of TIVO regarding the implementation of 3D service, I received a rather vague answer. No, TIVO didn't have any 3D content but yes TIVO was 3D ready. What does that mean?

ESPN has a 3D channel and many cable providers have on-demand 3D movies (depending upon your subscription to HBO, Starz, etc.). Understanding that TIVO doesn't usually pass cable on demand programming, it falls to Internet providers such as Netflix, Amazon etc. to obtain content. Of all these none have 3D content except VUDU! VUDU does have 3D movies for rent or purchase.

Does anyone have any scissors to cut through this knot?
rjp34652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp34652 View Post
In answer to a query of TIVO regarding the implementation of 3D service, I received a rather vague answer. No, TIVO didn't have any 3D content but yes TIVO was 3D ready. What does that mean?

ESPN has a 3D channel and many cable providers have on-demand 3D movies (depending upon your subscription to HBO, Starz, etc.). Understanding that TIVO doesn't usually pass cable on demand programming, it falls to Internet providers such as Netflix, Amazon etc. to obtain content. Of all these none have 3D content except VUDU! VUDU does have 3D movies for rent or purchase.

Does anyone have any scissors to cut through this knot?
It means you can play 3d cable channels using your TiVo. Don't get too excited though. All they do is split the picture vertically or horizontally and it is up to you to set your 3D TV to display the signal properly.

If you have Comcast you have to call to request them to add the 3d channels. It takes a few calls until you find a rep that know about them and is capable of authorizing them, at least that is my experience.

To be honest it's a little half baked and other set top boxes like PS3 are better for renting or playing 3d content.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
celtic pride

I thought i just read where netflix would have 3D movies available this year. I dont have netflix or an 3D HD tv anyway,so i dont really care about 3d ,I hope i can see what ultra HD looks like, i am interested in seeing if theres that much of a noticeable difference in picture quality compared to regular HD.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are two ways to do 3D. The one used by cable just squishes two pictures into one frame, either side by side or top and bottom. The TV then separates the two pictures, stretches them to full screen, and displays one for each eye. This method is compatible with any device because the signal is no different then a regular TV signal. The TV is just doing special processing to make it 3D. The downside to this method is you end up with half the vertical or horizontal resolution for each picture, so you lose a bit of quality.

The other method, used by BluRay, is an extension of the H.264 encoding standard called MVC. MVC encodes each eye as a separate, full resolution, stream however it shares some compression information between the two streams so that the resulting video file is smaller then if each eye was encoded as two completely separate video files. MVC requires special decoding abilities and I'm not sure if the TiVo Premiere has a decoder capable of doing MVC or not.

So to summarize if you record something from cable that's 3D it will work fine, since they use the first method and it's definitely compatible with TiVo. However if Netflix decides to use MVC for 3D then it will only work on TiVo if TiVo has a decoder chip capable of supporting MVC. (I honestly don't know if they do or not)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
dbtom

I've used a Tivo Premiere and HD for 3D on Cablevision in NYC (primarily Olympics) and it works. You just have to manually tell your TV to look for 3D content. I am using an LG TV.

3D on Vudu works on the PS3. It believe it was recently enabled for the Xbox as well but I haven't tested that.

Unfortunately most of the cable 3D for me is onDemand, which of course is not Tivo friendly. Personally I've found that cable 3D is a huge step down from 3D Blu Ray so it's almost not worth it.
dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote