TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
PLazovich

Tuning Adapter Keeps Freezing

I have Cox Cable and have to use a tuning adapter. I am in Southern AZ and my Premier Tivo keeps freezing on channels. I have to restart the tuning adapter and it fixes it. This lasts about 24 hrs and then I have to do it again. Or I just loose upper channels. I need some help. If I con't catch it I miss so recordings because of the tuning adapter not going to the right channels. Cox says their stuff is fine of course they do. Any help here.

Pat
PLazovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLazovich View Post
I have Cox Cable and have to use a tuning adapter. I am in Southern AZ and my Premier Tivo keeps freezing on channels. I have to restart the tuning adapter and it fixes it. This lasts about 24 hrs and then I have to do it again. Or I just loose upper channels. I need some help. If I con't catch it I miss so recordings because of the tuning adapter not going to the right channels. Cox says their stuff is fine of course they do. Any help here.

Pat
Do like S3 HD owners and put the TA on a lamp timer that shuts it off for a while in the early morning hours or whenever is convenient relative to your recording schedules?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
PLazovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do like S3 HD owners and put the TA on a lamp timer that shuts it off for a while in the early morning hours or whenever is convenient relative to your recording schedules?
I have an HD and it is fine it is the Premier that keeps freezing or loosing channels. Why would one do it and not the other?

Pat
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
PLazovich

Oh and it has done it three times today just randomly while watching shows on the channels above 1013.

Pat
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I have an HD and it is fine it is the Premier that keeps freezing or loosing channels. Why would one do it and not the other?

Pat
Could be different signal strengths, a bad TA, or a defective TiVo. Substitute the Premiere for the HD. Does it still act up? If it does the problem is the Premiere. IF it doesn't it's either the TA or a signal problem where the Premiere normally is connected.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:

Pat
Swap the TA locations between the HD and the Premiere and see what happens. Also, have Cox check the signals and tell you what they are in dBmV, You can also check the signals from the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Menu, Go the the RF Status menu.

There is a link to Cisco TA troubleshooting in my Signature below.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
innocentfreak

Also file a complaint to the FCC. http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

If everyone actually filed a complaint everytime they had to reboot their TA or it locked up, maybe the FCC would do something about it. They already said they would monitor it over the year to see if there were still problems with TAs.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
PLazovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Swap the TA locations between the HD and the Premiere and see what happens. Also, have Cox check the signals and tell you what they are in dBmV, You can also check the signals from the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Menu, Go the the RF Status menu.

There is a link to Cisco TA troubleshooting in my Signature below.
I will try swapping out the TAs today and see what happens don't know why I did not think of that. Also could it have anything to do with the cable cards being weak?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
scole250

Any thoughts that heat could cause TA problems? The Cisco TAs I have all stay hot. When they sat on top of the Tivos, they got very hot. I now have them elevated an inch to provide better air flow to stay cool.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Phil Broughton

Tuning Adapter Poops Out....

I also have had problems with no long term solution.

You could check my saga and several helpful hints I received and what I did, if you look at:

sandiegohdtv.org

and the following tread:

San Diego HDTV / Pay-TV (Cable, Satellite, U-Verse) / Cox Cable/HSI/VOIP

for the date and topic:

10/17/2012, "Cisco STA 1520 Tuning Adapter Poops Out".

I had previously elevated the TA due to heat, as pointed out; this didn't help, per se.

good luck; if you find the magic potion, please advise!!
Phil Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I will try swapping out the TAs today and see what happens don't know why I did not think of that. Also could it have anything to do with the cable cards being weak?
There have been various S3 models with power supplies that were failing and didnt' quite have enough juice to handle everything else and cable cards.

And when those power supplies start to go bad the switching frequency AC ripple doesn't get fully filtered out of the DC outputs, and noise on the power rails can cause all sorts of gremlins.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
scole250

If you go to the TA diag page, what are the tuner, FDC and RDC dBmv levels? Tuner and FDC should be as close to 0 as possible. RDC should be over 30.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
PLazovich

Hey guys I haven't had time to switch my ta yet but here is the wired thing since i wrote this it has not dropped out once. Does that say maybe it's the cable co. end and their signal coming in??
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Possibly but it would have to be a difference between the two drops where your two TiVo's are connected, most likely too weak a signal at the one where your "problem" setup connects. (Since you say your HD has never had problems.)

You can look at signal strengths in DVR Diagnostics, for the two channels currently tuned. What values do you get for the two TiVo's? Also what are the SNR and RS error counts? Are the error counts increasing as you watch?

Look at the tivo.com signal troubleshooting page here:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150
For either the HD or the Premiere the minimum sig strength is 50 and the recommended range is 80-99. Based on my experience and posts here I am very skeptical that 50 is sufficient. I think the practical minimum is more like 70. But YMMV. These readings peg at 100 and if more than half your channels read 100, you might actually have too much signal strength which can cause problems too. (It's normal for sig strengths to vary considerably across different channels.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and

Last edited by dlfl : 11-21-2012 at 09:26 AM.
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote