TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #2641
jmbach

Run the manufacturer diagnostic on the drive as well as a program like HDD Guardian that will report problems that the manufacturer diagnostics may ignore. (have to hook the drive up to a computer)

Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #2642
bobrt6676

gigabyte MB

My only PC with SATA drive has a Gigabyte MB. My older PC's have IDE drives. How difficult will the upgrade be on a Gigabyte MB? Can it be done by a "novice" upgrader?

bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #2643
jmbach

Some gigabyte MBs put an HPA on the drive which mucks up the upgrade. The newer Docks (not enclosure) seem to be able to do the upgrade without issue. Just a little slower.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #2644
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Some gigabyte MBs put an HPA on the drive which mucks up the upgrade. The newer Docks (not enclosure) seem to be able to do the upgrade without issue. Just a little slower.
Thanks, I will give it a try. If it doesn't work I'll just have to start over.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #2645
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
My only PC with SATA drive has a Gigabyte MB. My older PC's have IDE drives. How difficult will the upgrade be on a Gigabyte MB? Can it be done by a "novice" upgrader?
If your GigaByte board is one of the ones that create Host Protected Areas, they only do it, as far as I've been able to learn or to determine from what a couple of them did to me, to what they consider the "first" hard drive.

For example, if it has both one or more IDE headers *and* one or more SATA ports, it'll do it to the drive that's the IDE primary master.

If there's not one connected that way, it'll go down the line--primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave, and then on to the SATA ports, from 1-4, or 0-3, or however they're numbered.

So if you'd be hooking up the drive you want to "jmfs" to a SATA port, and already have the boot drive (the one with Windows on it, or Linux, or whatever OS you're running) connected to a lower number SATA port, you should be okay.

But if you disconnect that boot drive for some reason, now the other drive becomes the first one in line and it'll get HPA'ed faster than you can say "Oh Sh*t".

So boot the PC with the jmfs cd, but without the drive intended for the TiVo attached or installed, bypass the jmfs stuff, like copying or expanding, and go straight to the command line.

Then

hdparm -N /dev/hda

if you have any PATA/IDE drives hooked up, or

hdparm -N /dev/sda

if you're running only SATA

and if you get a return showing

x/y

where x and y are not equal (it'll make sense when you see it), you'll know that there's already a drive connected that's been HPA'ed, and if you hook up the new drive "further down the count", it should be protected.

I think

poweroff

should get you out of that jmfs cd's command line safely, if not, then

reboot

should do it and you just kill the power when it starts to.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #2646
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If your GigaByte board is one of the ones that create Host Protected Areas, they only do it, as far as I've been able to learn or to determine from what a couple of them did to me, to what they consider the "first" hard drive.

For example, if it has both one or more IDE headers *and* one or more SATA ports, it'll do it to the drive that's the IDE primary master.

If there's not one connected that way, it'll go down the line--primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave, and then on to the SATA ports, from 1-4, or 0-3, or however they're numbered.

So if you'd be hooking up the drive you want to "jmfs" to a SATA port, and already have the boot drive (the one with Windows on it, or Linux, or whatever OS you're running) connected to a lower number SATA port, you should be okay.

But if you disconnect that boot drive for some reason, now the other drive becomes the first one in line and it'll get HPA'ed faster than you can say "Oh Sh*t".

So boot the PC with the jmfs cd, but without the drive intended for the TiVo attached or installed, bypass the jmfs stuff, like copying or expanding, and go straight to the command line.

Then

hdparm -N /dev/hda

if you have any PATA/IDE drives hooked up, or

hdparm -N /dev/sda

if you're running only SATA

and if you get a return showing

x/y

where x and y are not equal (it'll make sense when you see it), you'll know that there's already a drive connected that's been HPA'ed, and if you hook up the new drive "further down the count", it should be protected.

I think

poweroff

should get you out of that jmfs cd's command line safely, if not, then

reboot

should do it and you just kill the power when it starts to.
Thanks, that is a big help. I have my main C drive and hooking the new TiVo drive as a secondary drive. I needed a new image so I received that and DL'd DVRBARS.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #2647
bobrt6676

Smile

Thanks to ggieseke, Unitron and JMBach. I successfully replaced my Premiere XL drive. Funds are short so I just replaced the 1TB drive with another 1TB drive, so no expanding or supersizing needed.

1. Purchased 1TB drive on Amazon for $52.
2. Read this thread 3 times.
3. DL'd new image and DVRBARS from ggieseke Thanks
4. Read this thread 3 more times.
5. Hooked up new drive as 2nd drive on my gigabyte MB.
6. Ran diagnostics(2hrs) no errors
7. extracted DVRBARS and Premiere image to C drive.
8. Opened DVRBARS. WOW how easy. Selected source, selected destination.
9. Took a few hours. Complete. Pulled drive, back to Premiere installed.
10. Loaded to Guided setup, chatted with TWC to re-pair CC.
11. Allowed SW to update overnight. This morning all working GREAT!!!

Thanks to all that contribute to the forums. Had TiVo's since 2000 and W/O the forums they would be outdated/bricks a lot sooner W/O all of you.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #2648
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Thanks to ggieseke, Unitron and JMBach. I successfully replaced my Premiere XL drive. Funds are short so I just replaced the 1TB drive with another 1TB drive, so no expanding or supersizing needed.

1. Purchased 1TB drive on Amazon for $52.
2. Read this thread 3 times.
3. DL'd new image and DVRBARS from ggieseke Thanks
4. Read this thread 3 more times.
5. Hooked up new drive as 2nd drive on my gigabyte MB.
6. Ran diagnostics(2hrs) no errors
7. extracted DVRBARS and Premiere image to C drive.
8. Opened DVRBARS. WOW how easy. Selected source, selected destination.
9. Took a few hours. Complete. Pulled drive, back to Premiere installed.
10. Loaded to Guided setup, chatted with TWC to re-pair CC.
11. Allowed SW to update overnight. This morning all working GREAT!!!

Thanks to all that contribute to the forums. Had TiVo's since 2000 and W/O the forums they would be outdated/bricks a lot sooner W/O all of you.
Glad to hear it. If you had used the Quick Restore option step 9 would probably have only taken a few minutes, but anything that works is a success.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:01 AM   #2649
peters_pa

Basic boot error

Hi all, first post here. When I unzip then burn the iso image and boot my PC from the CD, I'm getting an error:

Fatal error occurred JavaMFS data not found

It then suggests copying the JavaMFS from your boot device to a IDE/SATA disk

What should my next steps be?

peters_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #2650
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters_pa View Post
Hi all, first post here. When I unzip then burn the iso image and boot my PC from the CD, I'm getting an error:

Fatal error occurred JavaMFS data not found

It then suggests copying the JavaMFS from your boot device to a IDE/SATA disk

What should my next steps be?
I don't know specifically what that error means, but I suspect that if you didn't burn the ISO image correctly (as an image), it wouldn't even try to boot. Recently I downloaded and burned a different ISO image, and it started to boot but couldn't find the main program to load. I downloaded it again, and the new image was a few megabytes larger than the first one. WTH?! In the 21st Century, you would think that we should be past such problems, but an ISO image has no way of detecting corruption, so you need to validate it by using md5sum or some similar program to compute a checksum which you can then compare to the published correct value. I did that, the new image passed, and it booted correctly. (For downloads in the form of a ZIP file, the unzipping process should detect any corruption.)

L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote