TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #31
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo_Fanatic View Post
Again assuming it's the drive... I've heard of the "frezer" method before but fail to see how it works / what it does exactly. Just off the top of my head, say it does work... whats to stop the "cloning" half way through as the thing thaws ?
I've seen the freezer method work, but I also am uncertain exactly how it works. I think it's probably most effective in cases where the spindle bearings are failing. It probably tightens the bearings and reduces friction and heating (for a short while anyway). If there's too much friction, the drive won't come up to speed and thus won't become ready. An eSATA hard drive dock helps when you're trying to work fast. And if the drive goes not-ready part way through the copy operation, I guess you can hope your copy utility can copy in sections.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #32
TiVo_Fanatic

As far as using an eSata dock which I assume you mean one with two ports for dual drives. How fast could it piossibly work on a near full 250GB drive before thawing issues arise, asuming it is the drive and assuming the freezer method works.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #33
unitron

Quote:
As far as using an eSata dock which I assume you mean one with two ports for dual drives. How fast could it piossibly work on a near full 250GB drive before thawing issues arise, asuming it is the drive and assuming the freezer method works.
Using one of those dual drive units would probably double your time compared to two separate docks connected to two separate USB jacks since the data would have to go up the cord to the computer and back down the cord to the other drive, whereas with 2 cords it can be coming into the computer on one and going out to the second drive on the other at the same time instead of having to take turns.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #34
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Using one of those dual drive units would probably double your time compared to two separate docks connected to two separate USB jacks since the data would have to go up the cord to the computer and back down the cord to the other drive, whereas with 2 cords it can be coming into the computer on one and going out to the second drive on the other at the same time instead of having to take turns.
Even then, time still comes in to question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
L David Matheny

Quote:
I think there have been problems reported with dual-drive docks. I would probably just cable the new drive directly to the motherboard and use the eSATA dock only for the freezer-method drive. That keeps it out of your computer so things like condensation can affect only the dock, and it lets you swap the problem drive in and out without waiting for your computer to reboot. But with a whole-drive recovery operation, I don't know how you can copy until the drive goes flaky, pause and refreeze, then continue copying more, etc. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of Linux copy utilities.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Thing is I don't have a computer to dump the drive in to if I did go that route... all I have is a laptop.
WinMFS and the cheap USB to SATA/IDE cable work with a laptop. The drive I offered has seen about a month of use in an S2DT just for an experiment so it should work in your S3 which, I believe, has a stronger power supply than the S2 models. I got that last tidbit from a Weaknees page.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
WinMFS and the cheap USB to SATA/IDE cable work with a laptop. The drive I offered has seen about a month of use in an S2DT just for an experiment so it should work in your S3 which, I believe, has a stronger power supply than the S2 models. I got that last tidbit from a Weaknees page.
It may have a stronger power supply once you eliminate the possibility of bad capacitors.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #38
poppagene
User

I have used the freezer method on pc an d laptop drives, but not for Tivo. However, if I was using it for tivo, I wouldn't go for the full copy, but rather for the truncated backup. I'd be trying to save the tivo software and not worry about losing shows.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #39
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I have used the freezer method on pc an d laptop drives, but not for Tivo. However, if I was using it for tivo, I wouldn't go for the full copy, but rather for the truncated backup. I'd be trying to save the tivo software and not worry about losing shows.
Why try to save the Tivo SW when there are free images and imaging SW available?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #40
DougJohnson

Quote:
Why try to save the Tivo SW when there are free images and imaging SW available?
Save the season passes and avoid a truck roll to re-pair the cable cards?
-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #41
TiVo_Fanatic

I'm getting ready to crack this thing open today and try pulling cabled and checkin capacitors as suggested but these things use start screws. What type / size of star drivers do I need ?

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #42
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I'm getting ready to crack this thing open today and try pulling cabled and checkin capacitors as suggested but these things use start screws. What type / size of star drivers do I need ?
T10 torx for the cover and the drive bracket to chassis screws and T20 for the screws that hold the drive to the bracket.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #43
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
Save the season passes and avoid a truck roll to re-pair the cable cards?
-- Doug
He said "save the Tivo SW". No need to do that. I have also found no need to save the CableCard pairing because it apparently gets paired with my Tivo host ID at the cable company and has nothing to do with swapping the hard drive. I have verified this on both an S3HD and a Premiere. Your results may vary. I guess if the drive goes belly up you can't save the season passes. Otherwise, if it still sort of works you can temporarily transfer them to another Tivo via the Tivo.com website and then transfer them back after replacing the hard drive.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #44
L David Matheny

Quote:
T10 torx for the cover and the drive bracket to chassis screws and T20 for the screws that hold the drive to the bracket.
My Premiere uses T10 and T15.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #45
unitron

Quote:
A #10 Torx will do most of it, you might need a #15 for the drive screws and if you need to remove the power supply there's a screw that goes into the top of the AC jack from the outside back panel that takes a #9 or #8

Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #46
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
My Premiere uses T10 and T15.
Correct. I erred when I said T20. Every unit I've tried seems to be the same: S1, S2, S2DT, S3HD, and Premeire
Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #47
unitron

Quote:
Correct. I erred when I said T20. Every unit I've tried seems to be the same: S1, S2, S2DT, S3HD, and Premeire
Most times I've needed a 15 for the drive screws, but there were one or two where the 10 worked.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #48
TiVo_Fanatic

Ok, so I ytook the cover off blew out all the dust... didn't even bother to unplug anything. Just plugged in the power and no clicking whatso ever. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say something might have been sticking because I had to lightly hit the tivo to get the cover to pop and thats the only thing I can think of is that maybe I popped something loose. In any event, the tivo powered up fine and is updating guide data now.

Not gonna hold my breath for to long on how long the drive might last in case something actually was wrong so let me ask this.

I know something with the TiVo software or whatever doest allow transfers to save meta data when you go tivo to tivo unless this has changed, has it ?

Well, what about tivo to PC with TiVo desktop. Is the meta data saved then ? So this way when the meta data issue is fixed in the tivo software I can hopefully go pc to tivo to get the shows on the elite with the meta data.

Edit: Does anyone know if TiVo Desktop Plus can push .tivo files yet ? If not then it's not really worth $24.95 right now.

out & PM me for help.