TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
JArthur31

Exclamation Please help! Need Tivo CEO address or similar.

Hello, I've been a member for a few years now but have rarely posted. Mostly, I read troubleshooting help here before contacting TiVo directly. It's been an invaluable asset to me over the years.

Today, I seek your help in asking for a direct mailing address to the TiVo CEO or someone else within that hierarchy who can help me with an unresolved issue.

Briefly, here is my problem: Last June I upgraded my Premiere XL to the Premiere XL4. At the time, for some reason I discussed the new activation with a customer rep via chat. I wanted to cancel the service for the old machine and they told me I couldn't until I called directly. This is what I was told today. If they told me this then I completely forgot.

Regardless, I was charged for 12 months of service for a device I no longer used and of which TiVo was fully aware of (they don't dispute this). I asked to speak to a supervisor after the original customer rep wouldn't refund those charges. He offered to give me a 3 month partial refund but I refused it because it doesn't come close to the $150 they took form me.

If the bottom tier of support won't help me, then I wish to escalate this to the highest authority I possibly can.

Before hanging up, I asked the supervisor why online activations are allowed but cancellations are not. He wouldn't answer directly. If this had been possible then I wouldn't be in the fix I am today. Moreover, I also told him I would be cancelling my current subscription as soon as my cable company installs their dvr. They lost me as a customer for life and I will also let family and friends know how I was treated regarding this matter.

I loved the TiVo service and bought a device because I knew it was the best out there. Sadly, my relationship with them will end after just 5 years. I am only 26 years old and they could've had me for life if they chose to address this concern to my ultimate satisfaction.

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated. Thank you!

There is none.
JArthur31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Based on my experience, you cannot cancel on line or via chat so the CSR was telling the truth, and you must call to cancel. Since you forgot to call I don't see how you can blame TiVo, you should be willing to accept some responsibility here. You should accept the 3 months they are willing to give back and move on. (It's better than being out 12 months of payment). The cable company's DVR in most or all cases will be inferior to TiVo.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

You did not notice a monthly fee for a year? Somewhere between a few months and a year shifts any blame to the owner, surely. I would take the three month credit and be happy with it. Or, perhaps ask for a discount on lifetime or something else of value.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
caddyroger

I agree with previous posters. It is your fault you was told to call but you did not for 12 months. Take the 3 months will it it still available.Most likely writing the ceo will not help you. I check my bank statements every month to make sure there are no extra charges.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
tatergator1

There have been a few situations very similar to you in the past on the forum. IIRC, the 3-month refund from Tivo is the standard response.

Take this as a financial life lesson. Regularly review all credit card and bank statements for unexpected charges, especially in this day and age of rampant identity theft. Take the 3-month refund and take responsibility for your mistake and not realizing the charges until a year later.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
drkmstr

Very confusing... you all but admit that you forgot they told you to call and you never called (plus you never noticed the double charges).

Then you say that TIVO knows it is their fault...

I would say you bare the responsibility and agree with other posters take the offer from TIVO.
drkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
OH! when people some years ago tried to cancel their AOL account the same thing happened, that was an [b][i]other American business.
That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the first post. I remember when we used to get AOL installation discs in the mail so you could try it for free. You could always find floppies or CDs of the software sitting in displays at checkout lines in a lot of stores. The problem was trying to cancel the service after trying it. I think AOL got sued up the wazoo for their business practices, or at least they should have been. They eventually made it easier to cancel. At least Tivo will cancel if you ask, but you still have to call them to do it.

Chalk it up as a life lesson. It could have been a lot worse.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
caddyroger

There is a lot of company that require you to call and cancel the service. As for the doing a charge back with your credit card that is not an automatic as you think. They check into it and see if the charges with Tivo. All Tivo has to do tell them that you did not call to have the service stopped. Your credit card will not make Tivo pay the money back.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
rich
Final answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
There is a lot of company that require you to call and cancel the service.
True. Adding service is easy but canceling service requires a phone call, so they can have a chance to try to talk you out of canceling. One time I wanted to cancel a Sirius Radio subscription. They kept trying to upsell or keep me and I just kept chanting "I sold the car and want to cancel the service" over and over until they relented.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i sympathize with your plight, but you bare responsibility for failing to check the accuracy of both your tivo and credit card billing accounts.

call back, and check with another supervisor to see if they will meet you half way. an executive relations team email explaining what happened might help:
http://www.tivo.com/about/investor-r...stomer-support
leave emotion out, stick to the points of the upgrade and overbilling for service not used, and good luck!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Bigg

So you didn't cancel your service, didn't notice you were paying for it for A WHOLE YEAR and now you're mad that they charged you for it? HELLO! That's your first problem. Your second problem is that you were using monthly service in the first place, which is a RIP-OFF for the mathematically challenged. Lifetime is always a better buy!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

A 3 month partial refund is overly generous from TiVo. The OP made the mistake. I could see if it had been a few weeks. But one year? That seems crazy to me to expect anything more from TiVo to pay for the mistake of the user.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I had a similer situation as I have several monthly TiVo's and as a result at one point I would had 5 different amounts being charged at different times of the month. After upgrading to a roamio the first the year as I have my parents on my account as I pay for their TiVo's. But, I found that I had been paying for a Tivo that had been returned to Tivo (It was a warranty replacement and it self was defective and had to be returned). After fighting a month back and forth I finally received 10 months of service fees refunded but it wasn't easy.

Yes, one should be aware of what is coming out of their checking accounts but sometimes that's not possible as in my situation I was in th e hospital and inpatient rehab for several months and no one but me took care of the TiVo's. My wife never disputed the charges as she just assumed I had it all set up properly, for some it's a big deal to question a $12 charge monthly but the way Tivo processes the service fees for a Tivo based on its activation date, if you have as I did five monthly TiVo's you get five different days of the month when they get billed so it's very easy to have an extra one and not notice it.

I recieved all but four months credit for mine because it was apparent that Tivo screwed up as I kept the tracking number for the returned Tivo and was able to prove that it had been returned 15 months prior and accepted partial responsibility as I should have pointed out their mistake earlier.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I had a similer situation as I have several monthly TiVo's and as a result at one point I would had 5 different amounts being charged at different times of the month. After upgrading to a roamio the first the year as I have my parents on my account as I pay for their TiVo's. But, I found that I had been paying for a Tivo that had been returned to Tivo (It was a warranty replacement and it self was defective and had to be returned). After fighting a month back and forth I finally received 10 months of service fees refunded but it wasn't easy.

Yes, one should be aware of what is coming out of their checking accounts but sometimes that's not possible as in my situation I was in th e hospital and inpatient rehab for several months and no one but me took care of the TiVo's. My wife never disputed the charges as she just assumed I had it all set up properly, for some it's a big deal to question a $12 charge monthly but the way Tivo processes the service fees for a Tivo based on its activation date, if you have as I did five monthly TiVo's you get five different days of the month when they get billed so it's very easy to have an extra one and not notice it.

I recieved all but four months credit for mine because it was apparent that Tivo screwed up as I kept the tracking number for the returned Tivo and was able to prove that it had been returned 15 months prior and accepted partial responsibility as I should have pointed out their mistake earlier.
I have more sympathy for that, as it was a mistake on TiVo's part. The OP just didn't bother to cancel that unit's subscription.

OTOH, why on earth is anyone using monthly? Lifetime is the way to go!! WAY cheaper over the long run and no pesky monthly fees.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I have more sympathy for that, as it was a mistake on TiVo's part. The OP just didn't bother to cancel that unit's subscription.

OTOH, why on earth is anyone using monthly? Lifetime is the way to go!! WAY cheaper over the long run and no pesky monthly fees.
An a good resale price.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I can't fault anyone for using monthly. People have different situations and it's good that TiVo gives people a choice. While most of my TiVos are on lifetime, I do have my Roamio Basic on monthly at $6.95.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
An a good resale price.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can't fault anyone for using monthly. People have different situations and it's good that TiVo gives people a choice. While most of my TiVos are on lifetime, I do have my Roamio Basic on monthly at $6.95.
I think they should just price them appropriately. The Roamio really costs $700. It's an accounting and advertising trick. They can advertise a $200 box, and then in the fine print, yeah, it actually costs $700. And their flagship $600 model, yeah, you're going to break the 4 digit mark at $1100 with the service that is required.

Monthly is just a terrible deal.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
True.

I think they should just price them appropriately. The Roamio really costs $700. It's an accounting and advertising trick. They can advertise a $200 box, and then in the fine print, yeah, it actually costs $700. And their flagship $600 model, yeah, you're going to break the 4 digit mark at $1100 with the service that is required.

Monthly is just a terrible deal.
It can be. But at my $6.95 monthly rate the breakeven point is almost five years based on lifetime at $400. I don't mind paying $6.95 a month though. But I've had the rate on three TiVos now since 2009. They transferred it from an S3 to a Premiere and then to my Roamio Basic. I was only going to get the Roamio Basic if they allowed me to transfer that rate. Since it's such a small monthly charge I don't mind. But my other TiVos have had lifetime service and I just sold them when i was finished using them.

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-02-2014 at 01:24 PM.