Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #61
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post
I never called it gay bashing (and my dislike of the twins stems from other things). But gimpy is a derogatory term.

I took the comment as "I can't believe we got beat by two guys who aren't even real men." Maybe not what they meant at all, but perhaps more likely than "I can't believe a team where one guy has a sore ankle was able to tighten a few bolts."
I don't think that's what they meant at all. If you watch this episode, you see the Twins have to run a pretty long distance down a road to reach the windmill they're supposed to work on. I'm guessing that their comment has to do with the fact that they can't believe the Goat Farmers chose to do the windmill task when one of them has a bum ankle and lots of running was involved. Remember, the teams receive much more detailed info about each side of the detour before they must make their decision, and for all we know, the instructions told them they'd have to run quite a ways.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #62
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think that's what they meant at all. If you watch this episode, you see the Twins have to run a pretty long distance down a road to reach the windmill they're supposed to work on. I'm guessing that their comment has to do with the fact that they can't believe the Goat Farmers chose to do the windmill task when one of them has a bum ankle and lots of running was involved. Remember, the teams receive much more detailed info about each side of the detour before they must make their decision, and for all we know, the instructions told them they'd have to run quite a ways.
I thought they had to decide which side they were going to take before they could look at the more detailed information. They all state to the camera which task while still looking at the the sparse top-sheet.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #63
SeanC
ECT

Well I hadda go back and look, so I undeleted it and just watched it.

So for what it's worth:

"The gays are done."

"I can't believe the gimpy guys did this."

and

"We could have beat the gays here and we didn't so mucho waste of time-o."
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #64
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I thought they had to decide which side they were going to take before they could look at the more detailed information. They all state to the camera which task while still looking at the the sparse top-sheet.
I don't know. I think they don't get to know what the Roadblock is before making their decision about who does it. But I always assumed they could look at the details of the Detours before making their decision. Especially since the sparse clue usually only says something like "Spin it or Bull it." They must have access to more info before they have to make a decision.

And you can't really base anything on how they state something to the camera, because they could easily edit things to look however they want it to look.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #65
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
We've seen many times before, including on this very episode, where a team has decided to do one side of the detour but found the other one first and changed their decision.

Both Trey & Lexi and Chip & Dale decided to do the bull fight, but then they went in different directions at the roundabout and so Chip & Dale found the windmills first, and decided to do it instead.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #66
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Plus, it doesn't seem to matter what they tell the camera that they choose. Chippendales said they were going to do the Bull It, but as soon as they saw the arrow for the Spin It, they went and did that task.

ETA: Oops. getbak beat me to it.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #67
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Well I hadda go back and look, so I undeleted it and just watched it.

So for what it's worth:

"The gays are done."

"I can't believe the gimpy guys did this."

and

"We could have beat the gays here and we didn't so mucho waste of time-o."
That was it?

Pfft, that's not bad at all. I guess if Bierboy wants to get technicall, they should've said "I can't believe the gimpy guy (singular) did this."

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #68
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
That was it?
Seriously... the people who are reading gay bashing and derogatory terms into this are really reaching.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #69
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
We've seen many times before, including on this very episode, where a team has decided to do one side of the detour but found the other one first and changed their decision.

Both Trey & Lexi and Chip & Dale decided to do the bull fight, but then they went in different directions at the roundabout and so Chip & Dale found the windmills first, and decided to do it instead.
Oh, you are right. I am thinking of the Roadblock where they have to decide who is going to do the task first before seeing the details.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #70
MarkofT

It's a bit of a stretch to them "gay bashing", but it's obviously "gay bashing" to someone who hates that their very existence. Perception is everything.

I can normally see both sides of an argument, but I can't see how anyone actually like them. They are loud arrogant bores. Makes for great reality show characters, but horrible people. Their volume appears to start at 11 and goes up to an earth shattering level. They speak a lot, but don't say anything for all that shouting.

They don't deserve to be arrogant. I can't recall a single clever thing they did aside from using their express pass when the hit an obviously difficult challenge for which they weren't prepared and that barely qualifies as clever.

Their continued presence on the show is only due to a lack of bad luck on their part and an excess of bad luck on my part.

And if they aren't being socialite vapid, they are tossing insults in every direction, including each other. For each comment about the goat farmers they made this week, they make twice as many about each other. It only adds to their hateful image. I believe they think they are being funny with each other, but there are none of the body language clues to back that up and so it fails spectacularly. But they can't even be clever about it. "Stupid" seems to be their second favorite word.

And that is coming from someone who deals friendly insulting comments in just about every breath.

If you actually like them, or somehow find yourself neutral (which just isn't possible due to their polarizing effect on people), their comments were slightly on the mean side of neutral. If you hate them with a passion, their comments weren't nice in the least. If you hate them and have anything in common with their targets, they were downright hateful.
MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #71
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post
At the windmill challenge they said "I can't believe the gimpy guys did this." CBS obviously wanted to point it out as they even put the words on the screen.
Umm, no.. They don't put the words on the screen to "point them out". They put them on the screen when they're ESPECIALLY hard to hear (other noise in the scene, people talking over each other, etc.). Lots of reality shows do it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #72
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
And if they aren't being socialite vapid, they are tossing insults in every direction, including each other.
Weird, I think the fact that they're insulting each other shows that they're NOT a rude team. I think it's funny.

Heck, if it weren't for the really annoying TWINNIE yelling earlier, I'd probably REALLY like them. I think they're very entertaining, and they're easy on the eyes.

Oh, I forget if I posted this before (apparently not on this page at least), but at least in part of this episode (at LEAST the diary at/near the end), one of them has a nose RING and one of them has a nose STUDů and I knew which one at one point but anymore.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #73
borderline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, no.. They don't put the words on the screen to "point them out". They put them on the screen when they're ESPECIALLY hard to hear (other noise in the scene, people talking over each other, etc.). Lots of reality shows do it.
Besides the fact the words weren't ESPECIALLY hard to hear, you do realize these shows are edited, right? Let's just say the editors chose to include that audio clip even though there was nothing happening onscreen, and they put the caption up so you wouldn't miss it. Is that better?
borderline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #74
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Their continued presence on the show is only due to a lack of bad luck on their part and an excess of bad luck on my part.
QFT.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #75
MarkofT

Quote:
Weird, I think the fact that they're insulting each other shows that they're NOT a rude team. I think it's funny.
It would be, if they used a tone of voice other then their normal (overused) one or if they came up with relevant insults. Calling each other stupid is just the punchline to the childish argument trope.

Quote:
Heck, if it weren't for the really annoying TWINNIE yelling earlier, I'd probably REALLY like them. I think they're very entertaining, and they're easy on the eyes.
When was your last eye exam anyway?

Quote:
Oh, I forget if I posted this before (apparently not on this page at least), but at least in part of this episode (at LEAST the diary at/near the end), one of them has a nose RING and one of them has a nose STUDů and I knew which one at one point but anymore.
Hmmm. I've never consciously noticed that, but my subconscious seems to have done so because I've thought for a couple weeks that one of them had a bigger loudmouth then the other but I didn't know for sure because I couldn't tell them apart.
MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #76
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I can normally see both sides of an argument, but I can't see how anyone actually likes them.

Perception is everything.
You answered your own question.

I don't see them as arrogant. I see them as two girls who have probably been told their whole life that they can't do this or that. They've decided that they can do anything, as long as they put their mind to it. There have been tasks on this race (the bamboo "lumber"yard stands out) where I expected them to phone it in physically because the task was difficult and get eliminated. But they stepped up and did it, with hardly a complaint.

Loudmouths? Oh yes! But cheering each other on. Just like teams in every season of TAR. And I find their jabs at each other funny... it's how I interact with my co-workers. To an outsider, I'm sure it sounds stupid and childish. Perception is everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #77
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Loudmouths? Oh yes! But cheering each other on. Just like teams in every season of TAR. And I find their jabs at each other funny... it's how I interact with my co-workers. To an outsider, I'm sure it sounds stupid and childish. Perception is everything.
I guess I like the concept, overall, but not the Twinnies' execution.

(No, I'm not suggesting that they be executed. They're not THAT bad. )
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote