Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #871
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Maybe a 758250?
Yeah, AFAIK there was never a 756anything. The 750500 is the only 500GB 4-tuner model that I have ever heard of. There was also the 746500 2-tuner model that was basically a late model 746320 when 320GB drives became more expensive than 500GB drives.

I have two different images for a 758250 but they won't fit on anything less than a 2TB drive.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #872
Joey85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
It lives!! Thanks so much!

Joey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #873
styre

TCD746320 image

looking for a TCD746320 image to help restore a premiere.

styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #874
Ricker888

TiVo TCD746500 Premiere Image

I am looking for a TiVo TCD746500 Premiere Image. Any chance anyone has one? Thank you so much if there is any way I can get it.

Ricker888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #875
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker888 View Post
I am looking for a TiVo TCD746500 Premiere Image. Any chance anyone has one? Thank you so much if there is any way I can get it.
If necessary, you can use a 746320 image, since it's the same machine except for the size of the hard drive they put in at the factory.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #876
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker888 View Post
PM sent (it's for a 746320).

Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #877
unitron

Quote:
PM sent (it's for a 746320).
Once DvrBARS restores that 320 image to something bigger than 320, can jmfs come along and do the expansion if it didn't do the original copying?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #878
jmbach

Yes

Old 02-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #879
Andy_R

Hi all. I'm new here. Have to say that this is a pretty impressive place for TiVo owners.

I found my way here because my TiVo HD has a bad drive. The wife warned me a few months back that it was having problems. I chalked it up to bad reception. Now it won't boot and the WD utility confirms the drive is bad.

I got a backup off the drive with DvrBARS but not without several read errors. Is it advisable for me to use this backup to create new drive? I see other people asking for drive images here. If mine won't work can I get one? Is it ok for me to ask? I have a TCD652160.

I'll try the image I created and see how that goes.

ggieseke, thank you for the awesome free tool. If I get my TiVo back I'm happy to make a contribution for your effort.

Andy_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #880
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_R View Post
Hi all. I'm new here. Have to say that this is a pretty impressive place for TiVo owners.

I found my way here because my TiVo HD has a bad drive. The wife warned me a few months back that it was having problems. I chalked it up to bad reception. Now it won't boot and the WD utility confirms the drive is bad.

I got a backup off the drive with DvrBARS but not without several read errors. Is it advisable for me to use this backup to create new drive? I see other people asking for drive images here. If mine won't work can I get one? Is it ok for me to ask? I have a TCD652160.

ggieseke, thank you for the awesome free tool. If I get my TiVo back I'm happy to make a contribution for your effort.
I don't have any 652 DvrBARS images, but Unitron and several others have images for WinMFS or MFSTools. The S3 and earlier crowd never saw a need to make and post DvrBARS images when they had existing stuff that already worked.

I'd say give it a shot. If it fails you haven't lost anything but a little time and you can still revert to one of the standard methods/images. If it works, hopefully all of your settings and maybe even the CableCARD pairing will be preserved. Only random chance and the TiVo gods know if the errors that you saw were in a critical part of the OS or just part of an I Love Lucy rerun.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #881
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_R View Post

TCD652xxx S3HD 11.0m here

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #882
Andy_R

Quote:
I don't have any 652 DvrBARS images, but Unitron and several others have images for WinMFS or MFSTools. The S3 and earlier crowd never saw a need to make and post DvrBARS images when they had existing stuff that already worked.
Got it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
TCD652xxx S3HD 11.0m here
Done. Incredibly easy to do. Back up and running with a 1TB drive.

Great forum with great resources. WinMFS looks like it hasn't been updated in years. Still working great. Surprising and awesome.

Thanks again.

Andy_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #883
rob4crib

windows drive

Quote:
2013/04/14: Version 1.0.0.2 Patched for DeviceIoControl error reading SD cards.
2013/04/15: Version 1.0.0.3 Patched for yet another DeviceIoControl error during restore on some computers.
2014/11/27: Version 1.0.0.6 Added the ability to restore VHD images that it doesn't recognize.

**WARNING**

1. This software is provided "as is" with absolutely no warranty of any kind.
2. Opening your TiVo will void the manufacturer's warranty.
3. While every effort has been made to prevent data loss, the ultimate responsibility is yours.

OVERVIEW:

This is a Windows program designed to backup and restore TiVo DVRs. It will run on XP or later, and it should work on anything from a Series 1 to a Premiere. It is not intended as a recovery tool for corrupt or failing drives, and it will not expand or "supersize" your drive (yet).

THE BASICS:

1. Download DvrBARS and unzip it to somewhere on your drive.
2. Connect a TiVo drive to your computer. USB adapters will work, but are generally much slower than a SATA or PATA direct connection.
3. Read step 2 again. DvrBARS only scans the drives once when it first starts up. If you add, remove or change your drive configuration while it's running you will confuse the poor thing. I also strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Disk Manager while a TiVo drive is connected, because it will try to "initialize" it, which will damage the boot sector.
4. Run DvrBARS with an account that's a member of the Administrators group or right-click it and choose Run as Administrator.
5. If you like it and want to help support future development, find the donate option in the System Information screen.

NOW WHAT?

There are three backup options (Full, Modified Full, and Truncated).

Full is perfect if you have a drive that's straight from the factory because most of the drive is all zeroes. A Full backup "xeroxes" the entire drive, but due to the way dynamic VHD files work you'll get a byte-for-byte copy of the entire drive in a relatively small file. For Premieres that's usually about 2.5GB and you can zip it down even further.

Modified Full backups selectively copy all of the sectors that are in use, including your recordings. You'll need a lot of disk space if you have a lot of recordings.

Truncated backups are like Modified backups, but your recordings are excluded. The final backup file will be about the same size as a Full backup of a factory drive that has never been booted, especially if you exclude the alternate Root partition (see the Settings screen).

All three backup methods will preserve your settings, CableCARD pairing, Season Passes, guide data etc.

There are two restore options (Full and Quick).

Full restores write all of the information in the backup image to the target drive, including the sectors that weren't backed up. They get zeroes.

Quick restores only write the sectors that contain data. The rest of the target drive is untouched.

NOTES:

There's a roughly 2.2TB limit inherent in the VHD file format. If you try to do a Full backup of a 2TB drive that has been in use for a while it will probably run for about 10 hours and die.

You cannot make a Modified or Truncated backup of a dual drive TiVo unless both drives are connected. It has to be able to scan the entire MFS file system to figure out what sectors to include.

For adventurous souls, you can use the VHD files with VMWare or Windows Virtual PC. Use the VHD as the source drive, boot the virtual computer with the mfstools or jmfs ISO file and you can expand, supersize, etc to another drive.

If you have Vista or later you can also mount a VHD file in Disk Manager and use it as the source drive for further operations like turning a Full or Modified backup into a Truncated backup, but be careful to check the Read Only box.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a perfect image of a TCD748000 Premiere XL straight from the factory. I also have a nearly pristine TCD746320 Premiere image, but it's larger because it came from a drive that had already been through one upgrade. If you have a "virgin" drive laying around somewhere, run a full backup and send me a PM. Someday I hope to have clean images of every recent model available to the community.

Donate if you can. An awful lot of time and money has gone into this project so far, and the 100GB Dropbox account I set up for the images wasn't free either.

KUDOS:

Two members here (retiredqwest and jmbach) deserve a LOT of thanks and a big chunk of the credit. Their support and patience made it possible.

The pioneers who developed mfstools and jmfs also have my deepest thanks. DvrBARS is an entirely new work, but the basic knowledge of the MFS file system came from them.

AND FINALLY:

I'll shut up now. If you have any problems (and there are bound to be some) post the details here.

Enjoy!
Greg
I have a 750gb drive that a friend gave to me that I want to try this on but it has been formatted (NTFS) how does a person undo a drive that has been initialized already? Thanks

rob4crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #884
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4crib View Post
I have a 750gb drive that a friend gave to me that I want to try this on but it has been formatted (NTFS) how does a person undo a drive that has been initialized already? Thanks
DvrBARS has a built-in a safety feature and it won't wipe a drive that already has a valid Windows file system. It could, but the early test versions were command line driven and I got tired of killing my friend's computers if they made a typo.

Hook it up and run Disk Manager. Find the 750GB drive in the lower part of the screen, and when you're absolutely sure that you have the right one just right click each partition and delete it. Once it shows as a completely unintitalized drive DvrBARS will take it from there.

I know it's a PITA, but I sleep better this way.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #885
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4crib View Post
When you get hold of the diagnostic software made by the same company that made the drive so that you can run their long test before putting that drive into service (which one should *always* do with any drive which is new *to them*), you can see if the software doesn't also have an erase utility.

The Universal Boot CD has the software from most drive makers all together in one place. Read about it here:

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

then go here:

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

ignore the stuff at the top of the page that says "Start Download" or "Download Here" or whatever and go down almost to the bottom of the page to where it says "Mirror Sites".

Choose one, right click on the icon in the left hand column (that's an old hard drive icon from the early days of GUIs) and tell it to save the link(not the image, which is just an icon) wherever on your hard drive you save stuff, then when it eventually downloads (hey, it's free) burn it to cd-r "as an image" (not a picture image, an iso file image, so that everything is in the right place on the cd to make it bootable).

Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #886
rob4crib

Bat Entry Error

Quote:
2013/04/14: Version 1.0.0.2 Patched for DeviceIoControl error reading SD cards.
2013/04/15: Version 1.0.0.3 Patched for yet another DeviceIoControl error during restore on some computers.
2014/11/27: Version 1.0.0.6 Added the ability to restore VHD images that it doesn't recognize.

**WARNING**

1. This software is provided "as is" with absolutely no warranty of any kind.
2. Opening your TiVo will void the manufacturer's warranty.
3. While every effort has been made to prevent data loss, the ultimate responsibility is yours.

OVERVIEW:

This is a Windows program designed to backup and restore TiVo DVRs. It will run on XP or later, and it should work on anything from a Series 1 to a Premiere. It is not intended as a recovery tool for corrupt or failing drives, and it will not expand or "supersize" your drive (yet).

THE BASICS:

1. Download DvrBARS and unzip it to somewhere on your drive.
2. Connect a TiVo drive to your computer. USB adapters will work, but are generally much slower than a SATA or PATA direct connection.
3. Read step 2 again. DvrBARS only scans the drives once when it first starts up. If you add, remove or change your drive configuration while it's running you will confuse the poor thing. I also strongly recommend that you do not run Windows Disk Manager while a TiVo drive is connected, because it will try to "initialize" it, which will damage the boot sector.
4. Run DvrBARS with an account that's a member of the Administrators group or right-click it and choose Run as Administrator.
5. If you like it and want to help support future development, find the donate option in the System Information screen.

NOW WHAT?

There are three backup options (Full, Modified Full, and Truncated).

Full is perfect if you have a drive that's straight from the factory because most of the drive is all zeroes. A Full backup "xeroxes" the entire drive, but due to the way dynamic VHD files work you'll get a byte-for-byte copy of the entire drive in a relatively small file. For Premieres that's usually about 2.5GB and you can zip it down even further.

Modified Full backups selectively copy all of the sectors that are in use, including your recordings. You'll need a lot of disk space if you have a lot of recordings.

Truncated backups are like Modified backups, but your recordings are excluded. The final backup file will be about the same size as a Full backup of a factory drive that has never been booted, especially if you exclude the alternate Root partition (see the Settings screen).

All three backup methods will preserve your settings, CableCARD pairing, Season Passes, guide data etc.

There are two restore options (Full and Quick).

Full restores write all of the information in the backup image to the target drive, including the sectors that weren't backed up. They get zeroes.

Quick restores only write the sectors that contain data. The rest of the target drive is untouched.

NOTES:

There's a roughly 2.2TB limit inherent in the VHD file format. If you try to do a Full backup of a 2TB drive that has been in use for a while it will probably run for about 10 hours and die.

You cannot make a Modified or Truncated backup of a dual drive TiVo unless both drives are connected. It has to be able to scan the entire MFS file system to figure out what sectors to include.

For adventurous souls, you can use the VHD files with VMWare or Windows Virtual PC. Use the VHD as the source drive, boot the virtual computer with the mfstools or jmfs ISO file and you can expand, supersize, etc to another drive.

If you have Vista or later you can also mount a VHD file in Disk Manager and use it as the source drive for further operations like turning a Full or Modified backup into a Truncated backup, but be careful to check the Read Only box.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a perfect image of a TCD748000 Premiere XL straight from the factory. I also have a nearly pristine TCD746320 Premiere image, but it's larger because it came from a drive that had already been through one upgrade. If you have a "virgin" drive laying around somewhere, run a full backup and send me a PM. Someday I hope to have clean images of every recent model available to the community.

Donate if you can. An awful lot of time and money has gone into this project so far, and the 100GB Dropbox account I set up for the images wasn't free either.

KUDOS:

Two members here (retiredqwest and jmbach) deserve a LOT of thanks and a big chunk of the credit. Their support and patience made it possible.

The pioneers who developed mfstools and jmfs also have my deepest thanks. DvrBARS is an entirely new work, but the basic knowledge of the MFS file system came from them.

AND FINALLY:

I'll shut up now. If you have any problems (and there are bound to be some) post the details here.

Enjoy!
Greg
I kept receiving a BAT ENTRY ERROR and as suggested I tried using a new clean image and the problem was solved.
Thank You sir

rob4crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #887
drummerben

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a clean disc image for a TCD746320?

drummerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #888
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerben View Post
Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a clean disc image for a TCD746320?
PM sent.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM   #889
matthewrpi

I also need an image for TCD764320 or TCD746500 if they are interchangeable. Thanks.

matthewrpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #890
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewrpi View Post
I also need an image for TCD764320 or TCD746500 if they are interchangeable. Thanks.
PM sent.