TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
maintainin

New Tivo Premiere stuck on acquiring channels

I've been trying to hook up a new tivo premiere this evening and the acquiring channels is stuck on 75%. After doing some reading I'm beginning to wonder what I've gotten myself into. These cablecards sound like a monumental pain in the @ss. And it doesn't help that most service providers seem clueless on how to to get these thing going....or purposefully act like they don't. So anyway, from what I can tell my cablecard is paired. The guy on the phone says it does show paired on his end. He can send it a signal and it did something so he can talk to it. He gave me the usual line of maybe it just needs some time to acquire channels. Yah right, I'm going to get up in the morning and its still going to be sitting at 75%. I've done some reading and I keep seeing mentioned "Con:" and the "Val:" field under the conditional access screen on the cable card. It's says "No" on my screen by Con and the Val field says "V 0x28". From my understanding the V in the Val field is a good thing but the No in the Con is obviously not right. Can somebody give some help on what is going on and maybe give me some things to point out to the knuckleheads at my cable provider when I call them tomorrow for the third time. I can already see where this is heading. They won't get it solved over the phone and are going to charge me $35 for some other knucklehead to come out and after a few hours MAYBE get it going. Thanks.
maintainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
I've been trying to hook up a new tivo premiere this evening and the acquiring channels is stuck on 75%. After doing some reading I'm beginning to wonder what I've gotten myself into. These cablecards sound like a monumental pain in the @ss. And it doesn't help that most service providers seem clueless on how to to get these thing going....or purposefully act like they don't. So anyway, from what I can tell my cablecard is paired. The guy on the phone says it does show paired on his end. He can send it a signal and it did something so he can talk to it. He gave me the usual line of maybe it just needs some time to acquire channels. Yah right, I'm going to get up in the morning and its still going to be sitting at 75%. I've done some reading and I keep seeing mentioned "Con:" and the "Val:" field under the conditional access screen on the cable card. It's says "No" on my screen by Con and the Val field says "V 0x28". From my understanding the V in the Val field is a good thing but the No in the Con is obviously not right. Can somebody give some help on what is going on and maybe give me some things to point out to the knuckleheads at my cable provider when I call them tomorrow for the third time. I can already see where this is heading. They won't get it solved over the phone and are going to charge me $35 for some other knucklehead to come out and after a few hours MAYBE get it going. Thanks.
I have seen this twice, one time my friend cable connection had come apart or the cable input was on the Ant TiVo input, The other was from a cable card that was from a different cable co, it was paired but with the incorrect head end. What cable co are you on, as Comcast does not charge you if they have to come out for their problem.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
maintainin

I don't have Comcast. I live in South Dakotaand I have a regional carrier named Midcontinent Communications. They are in partnership with Comcast but I don't know how deep that relationship is. He told me since they didnt provide the box that they would charge $35 to come out.

But anyway, as anticipated, I get up this morning and its still sitting at 75%. Did a little more reading before going to bed last night and that Con: No definitely points to something not right on their end. It may be paired but its not activated is one thing I read. Other things i read are wrong channel map. I just wish I knew exactly what to tell them so I could do their job for them. It's frustrating.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
worachj

This link may help. See the "Troubleshooting issues with new activation" section.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...newactivations
Old 05-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
maintainin

Thanks worachj. I've read over those and a ton of other posts and am about to call them back. I'm sure I'm going to be dissapointed.

Better go ahead and set aside that $35 I'm guessing.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
maintainin

Third times a charm I guess. I'm on the phone with this guy two minutes and he says let me try something and BOOM all of a sudden I have my channels. Hung up and then noticed that my premium channels aren't showing up. So now I have to call them back again and get that straight. I'm happy though, making progress.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
Third times a charm I guess. I'm on the phone with this guy two minutes and he says let me try something and BOOM all of a sudden I have my channels. Hung up and then noticed that my premium channels aren't showing up. So now I have to call them back again and get that straight. I'm happy though, making progress.
May take 24 hours for your Premium to show up:

Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
maintainin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
May take 24 hours for your Premium to show up:
Actually this one was in me I guess. I had to go into channel list and check all the premium channels before they would show up in the guide. For some reason they were all unchecked.