TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
EnergyStar
This Space For Rent

Tivo Premiere - before I buy Moca's

I have two Premiere's and both are very good at streaming from YouTube (HD files), Netflix, Hulu+ but I cannot multi-stream without almost immediate video stutter.

The network is wireless-G using four (4) Linksys routers three have DDWRT and are in bridge mode - each Tivo has its on bridge. The main router is standard Linksys GUI connected to a SB5101 cable modem. The house is a 1965 sf two-story.

I understand that some folks have had success with multi-streaming wireless to their Tivo's and since I have great success with watching streaming tv and movies I thought maybe I don't have something configured in the wireless.

If I go the Moca route - it's going to cost about $228 just for the Moca's - I need 3 so I might as well get a 4th and use it or sell it on ebay.

I'd appreciate any feedback here.

Thank you in advance.
EnergyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyStar View Post
I have two Premiere's and both are very good at streaming from YouTube (HD files), Netflix, Hulu+ but I cannot multi-stream without almost immediate video stutter.

The network is wireless-G using four (4) Linksys routers three have DDWRT and are in bridge mode - each Tivo has its on bridge. The main router is standard Linksys GUI connected to a SB5101 cable modem. The house is a 1965 sf two-story.

I understand that some folks have had success with multi-streaming wireless to their Tivo's and since I have great success with watching streaming tv and movies I thought maybe I don't have something configured in the wireless.

If I go the Moca route - it's going to cost about $228 just for the Moca's - I need 3 so I might as well get a 4th and use it or sell it on ebay.

Thank you in advance.
Your problem is that "G"'s bandwidth can't carry that traffic!

Wired, Moca or Wireless N (5Ghz) would be needed. Oft in the commoin 2.4Ghz band there are just too many competing/overlapping WLAN's do a scan and count SSID's. Bear in mind that channel 6 overlaps with 4,5,7 & 8. The standard channel width is 20Mhz and the center of each channel is only 5Mhz from it's neighboring channel.

Switching to dual band the 5Ghz channels do not overlap and they are center to center 20Mhz and being not common you may be the only 5Ghz WLAN and see blazing fast; faster than MOCA network connections due to the fact it has a higher bandwidth.

I use the following with my TiVo's, BluRay HTH Systems, and a PC connected to each bridge. DAP-1522's (N 300) and the newer 1533's (N 450) run $100-130 new. They can also be sued as an AP so you could continue to use you router and easily add 5Ghz band.

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.07NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {2@5ghz bridge mode}
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
poppagene
User

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
I'm assuming you're somewhat tech savvy, since you loaded ddwrt on your routers. A less expensive MOCA alternative is to get some used verizon fios routers (on ebay). The routing can be disabled and you're left with a 4 port switch that works as a MOCA bridge. There are many different revisions with the oldest having 10/100 ethernet and wireless g in addition to MOCA and the newest with gigabit ethernet and wireless N (some of the intermediate revisions have 10/100 ethernet and wireless N). All of these work interchangeably with each other and moca. There are instructions at dsl reports on how to accomplish this as the manufacturer doesn't support it. The router is made by actiontec and the model is MI424WR. See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r176...network-bridge

I've been using 4 MI424WR in this way for a year and a half now since dropping Directv in favor of OTA and internet feeds. Initially I had 2 S3 OLEDs and one premiere. The S3s have been sold and replaced with premieres. Initially, I had DSL internet and an actiontec in bridge mode connected to my linksys router. I have since switched to fios and use one of the actiontecs as my main router. Through out these changes, the MOCA networking has been rock solid.

Last edited by poppagene : 02-06-2013 at 08:19 AM.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
bshrock

The best solution would be to go wired. 500' of Ethernet cable, connectors, crimping tool and a couple of Ethernet switches would be less than $200.

Are you sure the limitation is not caused by the internet connection speed?
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
poppagene
User

Wired ethernet is always the best way to go if you can fish the wires to the locations you need it.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Loach

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Why not just buy 3 Actiontec's from Tivo at $49.99 a pop? $149.97 shipped.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Why not just buy 3 Actiontec's from Tivo at $49.99 a pop? $149.97 shipped.
Actually, tivo.com charges shipping. 3 Actiontecs from tivo.com in my shopping cart would have $8.82 shipping (plus tax).
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
bobdole888

cheapest solution might be moving the cable modems to next to 1 of your tivo.
Hook up a n-router to the cable modem and direct ethernet connect to 1 of your tivo's. Put a n-repeater bridge on your second tivo. You can use g-repeater bridge on your other computers (if you need speed, get a 3rd n-repeater bridge).

So now you have 1 tivo using no wireless bandwith, and the 2nd tivo would use less bandwith running on n-router/repeater.

The cheapest n-router/bridge is the Cisco e900. I got them at Amazon for $20 each. You can flash them to ddwrt.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Time_Lord

I vote for running cat 5 (5e if you want 1Gb capable runs) cabling through the walls. With some patience and some thought you can probably get a drop close to every location you want to put a device. Plus its more secure than running wireless.

shortly after I moved into my house I installed a 24 port patch panel in the basement and ran ethernet drops throughout the house, right now I think I have 18 drops wired.

I put 4 behind my TV for the PS3, TiVO, previously used DVD player plus a spare.

Oh and don't waste your money on patch cables rated for more than Cat 5 (if you are 100Mb) or 5e if you are running 1Gb, the limitation is your switch and or computer/tivo not the cabling.

Do I have wireless? yes I have an other wireless bridge, runs 802.11a/b/g, no n.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Time_Lord

Oh the other advantage to running Cat 5 over using MoCA is you don't have a bunch of little boxes all over the place, you simply put the RJ-45 jack in a wall plate and home run the cabling to a closet where your switch is located. a lot less unsightly wires.

In my case the wife hates unsightly wires so in order to please the wife, neatness counts!
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Actually, tivo.com charges shipping. 3 Actiontecs from tivo.com in my shopping cart would have $8.82 shipping (plus tax).
Yeah I think that's right. I thought I remembered getting free shipping but actually there was a small shipping charge - it was just so nominal that I forgot about it.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
hazelnus111

Actiontec powerline Ethernet adapters working great for me between Tivo HD and Tivo Premiere 4 and have had no problems. Transfers HD about 1.5x real time.
hazelnus111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Get yourself three actiontec routers from eBay...

This one is $5.00

router
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

This one is $5.00

router
careful no power adaptor with that one
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

This one is $5.00

router
This is what I did. The Actiontec can also double as a Wireless Access Point if you have a spot that doesn't get great wireless reception. They were cheap and easy to setup.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
careful no power adaptor with that one
I bought one without a power adapter. I found one on Amazon for around $8 shipped. Still a lot cheaper than other MoCa adapters. Be careful as different revisions use different adapters.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I bought one without a power adapter. I found one on Amazon for around $8 shipped. Still a lot cheaper than other MoCa adapters. Be careful as different revisions use different adapters.
oh i agree I have 5 of them
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote