TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
holee
Uncertain

Question SOAK: Best way to make digital copies of S1 DirecTivo recordings?

I've managed to find my S1 DirecTivo that I had back around 2002 or so.

There are a couple shows on there that would be nice to have an archived copy of, but I'm not sure what tools would work for that now.

Could I get some advice on the most efficient/easiest way to take the recordings and turn them into an AVI or an MPEG? Preferably one that doesn't involve trying to reactivate the unit.

I don't have DirecTV service anymore (and I don't even know if the unit will boot up), but I figure as long as the hard drives are readable, I have options. Or so I'm assuming.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post

There are a couple shows on there that would be nice to have an archived copy of, but I'm not sure what tools would work for that now.

Could I get some advice on the most efficient/easiest way to take the recordings and turn them into an AVI or an MPEG? Preferably one that doesn't involve trying to reactivate the unit.

I don't have DirecTV service anymore (and I don't even know if the unit will boot up), but I figure as long as the hard drives are readable, I have options. Or so I'm assuming.
You misplaced an entire TiVo?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
jcthorne

tivo to go would require the tivo unit to be functional and subscribed to work. There is no known way to recover the encrypted encodings from the tivo hard drive (which uses a non-standard format as well) with the unit being functional. Even placing the drive in another tivo would not recover the recordings.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Just get an old stand alone DVD burner and record the content to DVD in real time. It's only SD content so it should look fine.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
holee
Uncertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just get an old stand alone DVD burner and record the content to DVD in real time. It's only SD content so it should look fine.
Would I have to worry about macrovision encoding if I did that? And I'm assuming you mean a set-top box, and not a PC, correct?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee

Would I have to worry about macrovision encoding if I did that? And I'm assuming you mean a set-top box, and not a PC, correct?
Yes a STB burner. I used one back in 2003 with my DirecTV TiVos without any issues. Although the recordings occur in real time so it can take awhile to record a bunch of content.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
tivo to go would require the tivo unit to be functional and subscribed to work. There is no known way to recover the encrypted encodings from the tivo hard drive (which uses a non-standard format as well) with the unit being functional. Even placing the drive in another tivo would not recover the recordings.
Do satellite TiVo's even do TTG?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
I haven't actually done it yet, but am somewhat interested to do the digging at some point.. You can theoretically install a ftp server on these old Tivos and then copy off the original recordings.. (that will avoid further loss when recording to a DVD recorder for example)

You need a Turbonet or similar card to give it an ethernet connection though.. (I don't know if those work with DirecTivos)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I haven't actually done it yet, but am somewhat interested to do the digging at some point.. You can theoretically install a ftp server on these old Tivos and then copy off the original recordings.. (that will avoid further loss when recording to a DVD recorder for example)

You need a Turbonet or similar card to give it an ethernet connection though.. (I don't know if those work with DirecTivos)
I think some of the Series 1 DirecTiVos were supposed to have that same edge connector the S1 SAs had.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron

I think some of the Series 1 DirecTiVos were supposed to have that same edge connector the S1 SAs had.
Yep. I know that the dsr6000 had it. And turbonet works with it when using 3.0 or higher software. I think it was built in at that point. Doing it before then was a different hack.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do satellite TiVo's even do TTG?
No, but the S1 was easy to hack. It did not even have a chain of trust. Unfortunately, the DirecTiVo employed encryption, which the Series I SA TiVos did not. It was also easy to circumvent, but the caveat was it was / is not possible to decrypt a previously encrypted video. Shutting off encryption for future recordings was easy, but nothing (digitally) could be done about a program recorded prior to disabling encryption.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Yes. The Sony SAT-T60 certainly did. I think all the S1s, even the DirecTiVos, did.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
ADent

Yes you can use a TurboNet card with a DTiVo. The CacheCard is what I have (and makes the unit snappier than S2 units).

I typically download shows via TySuiteJ (to my Mac, then transcode for iPhone use) or TyTool (Windoze program, used to make DVDs).

The recordings on S1 DTiVos are scrambled.

There is a fairly easy way to unscramble things (but then new unscrambled recordings can't be played, but I don't think there will be any new recordings in this case). It is on the unmentionable database of deals site that we can't link to.

So get a TurboNet or CacheCard. Find the driver (SiliconDust no longer mentions either at their site). Pull the drive to install the drivers. Reinstall drive. Telnet in and install the scramble.o patch. Install TyTool or TySuite. Download program.

Here is install: http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tiv...hreadid=140493

unscramble.o: google descramble during extraction

---

Unless you REALLY need the full 480x480 resolution, it would be easier to use a external DVD recorder. I paid $80 for mine years ago. IIRC S1 doesn't support Macrovision.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
mattack

What is TySuiteJ?

Don't you have to set up ftp on the Tivo? How do you do that?

You say they're "scrambled". Is that essentially the same as being encoded with the MAK on Series 3 and above Tivos?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Does the unit have composite output connectors? The quickest way would be to buy an inexpensive adapter that takes composite video and runs it into your PC via USB for recording purposes. You could burn a DVD from there.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
classicsat
Astute User

The encryption TiVos use to locally record to their disc is different than the encryption used for TiVo to go, which is a re-coding of the TiVo recording (decrypted from the HDD encrpytion, transcoded to a degree, and encrypted with the MAK code). It goes without saying that DirecTV TiVos never had TTG, so no need for a MAK.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote