TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
JoeKustra
Cable only

Two units two years old. After summer update both have done a complete reboot during playback. Last power cycle was 14 days ago.
After reboot finished, the playback seems to have continued. I selected the program, selected continue, and it jumped back to the reboot point.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #32
knarf829

Also getting reboots on my previously rock-solid XL4 following the recent update. Yesterday's was during a recording. When it came back up, it briefly displayed the message that there was a problem with the TiVo service but I could continue using it as normal before coming back fully. Was not a power outage.

Also, the "Aspect Correction Mode" setting does not stick after a restart since the update. I have it on "Panel" and it says Panel in the settings, but SD content is showing as if it was set to "Full" until I go into the setting, switch it, and then switch it back. Then it will stay until the next power outage or shut down.

Not a well tested update. Sure is purty, though.
knarf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #33
ddunnrn

Reboots since software update

Like other users posted here, I've been having seemingly random reboots with my xl4 since the summer software update. It's been occurring every 2 days or so, and the only commonality I have noticed is that it seems to happen when I use the remote to access "My Tivo" or some other menu. I just chatted tivo tech, gave them requested diagnostic info, and they suggested it was the cable connection. I doubted that because the tivo only started rebooting since the new update, and the cable connection hasn't been changed since the box was activated almost a year ago. I guess tivo doesn't wart to admit a software problem. Hopefully the next update will solve the problem.
ddunnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #34
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunnrn View Post
Like other users posted here, I've been having seemingly random reboots with my xl4 since the summer software update. It's been occurring every 2 days or so, and the only commonality I have noticed is that it seems to happen when I use the remote to access "My Tivo" or some other menu. I just chatted tivo tech, gave them requested diagnostic info, and they suggested it was the cable connection. I doubted that because the tivo only started rebooting since the new update, and the cable connection hasn't been changed since the box was activated almost a year ago. I guess tivo doesn't wart to admit a software problem. Hopefully the next update will solve the problem.
TiVo's (CSRs) do tend to avoid admitting anything is TiVo's fault. That sounds like a typical TiVo support experience. There are different tier levels in support. If you don't say the words "I want the support ticket number for this, and I want it escalated to a higher level", the outsourced support provider has just gotten rid of you, without having to work for their money. This assumes that you actually did everything they asked you to try, and provided all the info they requested from you. If so, it's not right.

Call back, and keep escalating, if you are up to playing their games by their rules. Get names and details for every interaction.

As far as hoping for an update to fix an update... Every update tends to break something else. If you are lucky, it will fix the severe issue, and only break something you never use, or rarely use.

If you just let them turn you away, at tier-1 level, and don't pursue things, the odds that your issue will make its way to those who are supposed to fix things, are not in your favor.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #35
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

for about 3 weeks following the update, my normally rock solid pxl began locking up and rebooting, and then it just stopped - it seems to be stable again.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #36
timstack8969

Just happened again this time when I pressed Tivo button I got Locked up when in the menus scrolling down.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #37
Henry Guerrar

Bad... Bad..
Henry Guerrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i've signed up for the 20.4.4 priority software update, thinking it's easiest to troubleshoot as a software issue first before digging deeper, since mine is now stable the update is on the way soon.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #39
toanderso

Premiere Reboot Loop

All,

So I also have a Premiere in a reboot loop. I've tried all the KS with no luck. KS54 did show a Fail 7 on 3 of the SMART tests.

So the question now is if I replace the drive, will the new drive be ok if copied from the original (ideally i want to save the recordings). The original drive is the one failing as I have not upgraded this unit prior.

So if following the upgrade process here, will the result be ok or still have the problems?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...+drive+upgrade

Just want to validate before I head to the store to pick up a drive.

Thanks
toanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #40
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by toanderso View Post
All,

So I also have a Premiere in a reboot loop. I've tried all the KS with no luck. KS54 did show a Fail 7 on 3 of the SMART tests.

So the question now is if I replace the drive, will the new drive be ok if copied from the original (ideally i want to save the recordings). The original drive is the one failing as I have not upgraded this unit prior.

So if following the upgrade process here, will the result be ok or still have the problems?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...+drive+upgrade

Just want to validate before I head to the store to pick up a drive.

Thanks
If it is boot-looping, you will need to acquire a "clean" backup of another drive for your model. See the DVRBARS thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

The software runs under windows, and you can place a request for an image for your model there (example: TCD746320), and you will receive a PM for the link to download it.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #41
toanderso

OK will give that a try - thanks.
toanderso is offline   Reply With Quote