TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
grey ghost

Do I have to have a Tivo annual contract for a new Tivo?

I won a new HD Tivo a couple of years ago and it's still in the box. I've never initiated service for it. I'm thinking of giving it to my sister who is fed up with her Comcast DVR, but who might switch to AT&T Uverse in less than a year.
I know that Uverse is not Tivo friendly.

My question is does she have to agree to a year's contract or can she do a month by month without a contract?
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Which model Tivo is it?

If its a Premiere, any premiere, 14.99/month
Older models ie: Series 3 or Series 2, 12.95/month

I don't think they offer yearly Service any more, unless you call.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
grey ghost

The box says it's a Tivo HD, so that's what I'm calling it. As I said in my earlier post, it's older model

You misunderstood my question. I was not asking is there was a yearly price(vs. a monthly or lifetime price). I was asking if you have to sign a 12 month contract paid monthly. From what I've read, after your initial 12 months is up you can pay on a monthly basis without the contract. I was wondering if I could pay monthly without a contract since the box was so old.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

All I can say is, a Tivo requires a sub of some type, whether monthly, yearly or lifetime. You can perhaps get a contract-less sub by calling Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post

My question is does she have to agree to a year's contract or can she do a month by month without a contract?
My initial response would be no because they don't require any minimum term of service for older models, but considering that yours has never had a subscription, Tivo may require a contract. I doubt it, but it is possible. I'd recommend calling them and asking, but you really can't depend on what their CSR's say.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
All I can say is, a Tivo requires a sub of some type, whether monthly, yearly or lifetime.
not even remotely new information for the OP.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I won a new HD Tivo a couple of years ago and it's still in the box. I've never initiated service for it. I'm thinking of giving it to my sister who is fed up with her Comcast DVR, but who might switch to AT&T Uverse in less than a year.
I know that Uverse is not Tivo friendly.

If you've recently acquired a new (some sort of Series 4) TiVo yourself, call them up and see if you can get the $99 lifetime subscription deal on it that so many other S3 and S3 HD owners have gotten when buying S4s (you might have to keep calling 'til you get a customer service rep who'll do it for you, that's why we call it CSR roulette), and then you can give it to her and she can change the account over to her name (or you can leave it in your name and make an open-ended loan) and lifetime sub means it'll still have some resale value a year or so from now.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure older (pre-S4) models are sub-able on a month-to-month no obligation basis these days.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
sevenx7

I attempted to sub my old Humax Dvd-r unit and it came up as a 14.99 Year contract or 399.99 lifetime. Only options that came up. I should try again later today and see if its the same.
but when i tried it it came up with a contract,and this things super old!
sevenx7 is offline   Reply With Quote