TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #91
shadoh

Sooooooooooooooo.... *bump*

Has there been any definitive "checklist" created anywhere about all of this? I have had FiOS for quite a while now, but only recently tried adding HBO, and ran into similar nightmares as described in this thread - MANY hours on the phone and two new CableCARDS later, they finally got it working. Unfortunately, I had to go and tempt fate and I upgraded to a Roamio (from an S3 HD XL) - moved the CableCARD over, and not surprisingly, lost HBO (and channel 131). I tried the automated self re-activation, waited 30 minutes, and it didn't work. Called CS, and it again took another hour or so to re-activate it, despite my insistence that they look at the notes on my account - again, I had already spent hours on the phone with CS in the past week, and the previous person I had spoken to did her research and said she found the "known issue" between TiVos/CableCARDS/HBO/channel 131. I tried using all the buzzwords I read on this thread (Manual validation, Re-validate, CC reload, etc) and although the CS rep sounded competent, he still seemed insistent on following his little flowchart. Like I said, he eventually got it to work, but IT SHOULDN'T TAKE AN HOUR for such a simple task!

So here's my dilemma - as soon as I finish moving/watching some shows off of my HD XL, I am moving it into another room to replace a plain S3 HD. That means I am going to again move the CableCARD from one unit to another, and I know I am going to have the same issue. So, again, any recommended courses of action? I see some talk about using their Twitter support team - I've also heard people talk about "use this wording and they should know what to do," but that didn't seem to get me anywhere last night.

Advice?
shadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #92
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
I've also heard people talk about "use this wording and they should know what to do," but that didn't seem to get me anywhere last night.

Advice?
Don't use the generic CS numbers, use the CableCARD/ FiOS number (that of course I can't track down at the moment)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #93
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Don't use the generic CS numbers, use the CableCARD/ FiOS number (that of course I can't track down at the moment)
Ooh, if you can track that down, that would be most excellent!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #94
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
Ooh, if you can track that down, that would be most excellent!
I'm not 100% sure but I have this one in a note: 1-888-553-1555, and I have a note with 1-866-240-1174 on it too and the 1174 strikes a chord that it was "special"
Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #95
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I have this one in a note: 1-888-553-1555, and I have a note with 1-866-240-1174 on it too and the 1174 strikes a chord that it was "special"
Thanks, I'll give those a shot. I'm not ready to do it yet, but out of curiousity, I dialed both numbers. The first connects me to Verizon, but sounds identical to the 800-Verizon automated system. It may or may not be, but seems like it is. The second number said, "The number you have dialed cannot be reached from your calling area." I am calling from work, not home, so I hold out small hopes that that is why, but not convinced. Sigh. Thanks for trying!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #96
BigJimOutlaw

I was about to recommend their @VerizonSupport feed, but apparently you're already aware of it. The twitter feed is run by superheroes compared to phone support. Request a "manual validation" (as you know) and supply them with the 3 lines on the cablecard activation screen as well as the serial number on the card itself, and hopefully they can have HBO running shortly without the annoyance of being on hold.

Follow them, and ask them to follow you in advance (on twitter) to save a little time when you're ready to Private Message them the request and information.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #97
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Follow them, and ask them to follow you in advance (on twitter) to save a little time when you're ready to Private Message them the request and information.
Good advice, thanks. I was hesitant to go that route, because I wanted something a little more immediate (e.g. a 5-minute phone call), but in the end, that will probably be my best course of action. I'd rather spend 30 minutes or whatever tweeting someone knowledgable than wasting an hour on the phone with someone who frustrates me.

I will report back on how it goes, though I probably won't be ready to give it a go until next week.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #98
Tivogre

I just moved a card yesterday.

The FIOS guy I spoke to got it right on the very first try.

He told me the key phrase is to request that the card be "manually re-validated" after you give them all of the required numbers.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #99
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
He told me the key phrase is to request that the card be "manually re-validated" after you give them all of the required numbers.
Good info!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #100
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

When I bought my two Tivo Premieres 3 years ago, I also switched from Charter to Verizon Fios. At the time, Fios did not pair the cards, but since I don't get any of the premium channels, it didn't really matter.

Fast forward to this week: I just upgraded one of my Premieres to a Roamio, and am about to have HBO added. When I set up the Roamio last week, I moved the cablecard from the old Premiere, called up the CS line, and within a few minutes I could see all of my channels. But, the cablecard status was still showing "Val: ?" on both Tivos, and channel 131 would not tune, so I knew I would not be able to get HBO until I got this resolved.

Today I decided to try the "Live Chat" service. To make a long story short, it took at most 20 minutes to get through the whole process, and now both Tivos are displaying channel 131 and the CC status says "Val: V". The support rep asked for the serial number of each card (which is available on the status page), CCID, Host ID, and Data ID. I also asked him to do a manual validation. Within a minute of giving him the info, he asked me to check the Tivos, and they were both working already.

FWIW, both of my cards are the old versions (xxxxx-002-xxx), but have the (latest) 06.25 firmware. Based on TivoMargret's posting, I'm expecting that the HBO pixelation issue will not be happening with these old cards.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #101
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
FWIW, both of my cards are the old versions (xxxxx-002-xxx), but have the (latest) 06.25 firmware. Based on TivoMargret's posting, I'm expecting that the HBO pixelation issue will not be happening with these old cards.
Can you give me a pointer to the discussion or brief explanation of the pixelation issue (Does is concern premiere). I recall that Romeio required a newer card but I think that issue was fixed....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #102
shadoh

Well, it looks like a lot of you are reporting a lot more success, whether it's via phone, Twitter, or Live Chat. I'm glad to hear! Hopefully things are improving over there (or maybe it took us to learn what buzzwords to give them).

It hasn't even been two weeks since I had to sit through several grueling hours of phone support to get this issue fixed on my units. I got a survey after my first phone call, and I let them have it. A representative contacted me later to discuss my survey, and she apologized and said she would credit me a week's worth of HBO since I didn't have it for all that week. I said that, while I appreciated the credit, I would gladly pay my service fees if it would have saved me wasting hours of my time on the phone. I would like to think that the word is getting around on their end, but I'm very glad we have this community to fall back on.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #103
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Can you give me a pointer to the discussion or brief explanation of the pixelation issue (Does is concern premiere). I recall that Romeio required a newer card but I think that issue was fixed....
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507823

I'm quite sure the problems were specific to Roamios. Late in that thread, TivoMargret says they were working on a fix for older cablecards. She never replied again in that thread, but elsewhere I saw her mention that an update fixed the issue.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #104
shadoh

Thumbs up Success

Here was my experience, for what it's worth.

I had previously had Twitter conversations with the Verizon Twitter team (@VerizonSupport), so we were already following one another. Knowing I was about to need their help, I did both an @ tweet to them, and I sent them a Direct Message (DM), letting them know I needed help to have a CableCARD "manually re-validated."

I did all the cabling to switch over my TiVos, then moved my CableCARD from one TiVo to another. When it finished booting (it's a Series 3, so it took a while), I got the CC screen with all the info on it (Host ID, Data ID, etc). Checked Twitter.... nothing. I waited a while and kept checking... nothing. Finally, after over an hour of waiting with no response, I gave up on Twitter. Then, I logged on to the Verizon website and started a live Chat on the Support page. There was about a 10-minute wait before a rep started chatting with me. However, once the rep responded, it was smooth sailing. She did ask me why I needed my CC re-validated, but when I briefly explained, she immediately asked me for all my #s (serial #, CC ID, Host ID, Data). About 90 seconds later, she said it was done. I checked -- HBO worked, channel 131 worked -- score!

The Twitter support team ended up responding eventually (over an hour and a half after I initially tried to get their attention), but I was very happy with how smoothly the online chat went.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #105
MookieDoug

Fios Chat worked for me...

I had a very similar experience as Shadoh. Yesterday I got my new Roamio Plus and after having problems in years past with phone support on Cable Card validations, and past success stories with Twitter, I started there. Sent an @ and a DM as we've talked in the past. It was around 8 pm EST, and I didn't get a response for over 30 minutes; when I did, it was simply, "Sure we can help, start an online chat session." I was skeptical, but did that and while it took about 30 minutes to get it set up, the cable card got activated. I had TV channels but NO HBO, but before I could mention this to them they said "Wait while we re-validate the card", and sure enough with that HBO came through. Also, I'm now getting BEiN Sport, which my old Tivo HD never was able to receive, even though it was part of my service.
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #106
zubinh

I had the exact same issue. Got 3 months of HBO free and nada on my Roamio. Called Tech support and he read off some script about it being a known issue with Tivo and that my box needs a Tivo software update. What total BS. That was before I searched here. Dumb mistake on my part. Called back, had them do a manual validation and it worked in 5 minutes.

So Verizon uses their own internal system to search for a wrong solution when they could've Googled it and given me the right solution the first time. Unbelievable
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #107
lemieuxfan67

Was having same issue with my new box. All channels but HBO working. Contact @verizonsupport on twitter. Had to start chat with them so that they could verify account info. I explained all channels but HBO worked, Tivo said HBO not authorized. I told chat agent that cable card needed manually re-validated and that should work. Within minutes HBO was working. I would highly recommend the @verizonsupport method as I was able to resolve from start to finish in under 30 mins with no phone calls!!!
lemieuxfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #108
NaperTiVo

Same issue, no HBO

My issue started after they added HBO to my Fios. It worked on one Premier so I didn't noticed for a few days. Turned out it was not working on 1 Premier, 2 Premier XLs, and 1 THD. I have been on the phone with support three times and they even sent a tech out. They were sending a 2nd tech out when I decided to google the issue. Stupid me for not checking sooner. Called in again and had them do a manual verification of the 5 cable cards that were not displaying HBO. After verifying all the numbers it took about a minute on each one. All are working now! So obviously this is still an issue for Verizon and they still don't have it in their notes for the techs on how to fix.
NaperTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #109
mikead_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaperTiVo View Post
So obviously this is still an issue for Verizon and they still don't have it in their notes for the techs on how to fix.
Since this thread started in 2012, I think it is safe to say they will not be updating their notes. Verizon is required by law to support cable cards, they have no incentive to do so beyond compliance with the law. If it were easy to turn on a third party box with a cable card they may lose business on their own set top boxes. I just went through a week and half of this switching a good M-card from a series 3 to a Roamio+. At one point the card became completely de-activated and they had a field visit scheduled. After reading this thread I got on Twitter with @verizonSupport and had it fixed in 15 minutes. So annoying...
mikead_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #110
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's much better than it was seven years ago on FiOS. It's also better with Comcast compared to seven years ago when dealing with cable cards. It is so much better now dealing with cable cards than back in the "dark ages" of cable card use.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #111
surfnutbry

Thumbs up Same issue no HBO or Cinemax

Today I moved two Tivo's from Comcast to Fios. The installer was able to get everything working except HBO and Cinemax. I spent hours on the the phone with Verizon customer support and nothing they suggested worked. The support agent claimed that he had tried everything so he decided to drop ship two new cable cards to me. He suspected that they would arrive in a couple of days. After I hung up, I tracked down this thread. Years earlier, when I needed to install cable cards the information in this forum was key. After reading this thread, I called support back and said the magic words "manual validation", gave her all of the Id's and had her verify them back to me, and like magic "Val:?" changed to "Val:V" and presto I have HBO and Cinemax. I don't know why saying "manual validation" makes a seemingly impossible task extremely simple, but it does. Perhaps customer support is instructed to stall and do nothing until they hear "manual validation", to prevent all but the most persistent customers from using cable cards.

Thanks again to all you who have came before.
surfnutbry is offline   Reply With Quote