TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
naranja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
Best Way to Upgrade HD Tivo on $99 Year Service?

I currently have a Tivo Premiere with lifetime service and an HD Tivo that has been renewing on the $99 a year service plan. I just got the Tivo email reminding me that my hd is about to renew for a year.

I'd like to upgrade the HD to either a Premeire or the OTA capable Roamio. I'm looking for a "deal". I don't mind buying used or threatening canceling or paying up for a discounted lifetime plan. The easiest thing would be to pick up a used Premiere and replacing the HD on the $99 plan but last time I checked that wasn't an option.

Any suggestions for a plan of attack to get a newer Tivo and service cheapest way possible? or alternatively get lifetime on the HD? Thanks.
naranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by naranja View Post
I currently have a Tivo Premiere with lifetime service and an HD Tivo that has been renewing on the $99 a year service plan. I just got the Tivo email reminding me that my hd is about to renew for a year.

I'd like to upgrade the HD to either a Premeire or the OTA capable Roamio. I'm looking for a "deal". I don't mind buying used or threatening canceling or paying up for a discounted lifetime plan. The easiest thing would be to pick up a used Premiere and replacing the HD on the $99 plan but last time I checked that wasn't an option.

Any suggestions for a plan of attack to get a newer Tivo and service cheapest way possible? or alternatively get lifetime on the HD? Thanks.
Call and ask if you have enough equity in the HD to qualify for 99 lifetime, I'm sure you will.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 749
Get the $99 lifetime on the TiVo HD and then sell it and buy a lifetime Premiere 2-tuner. Their prices on eBay have come close to converging in some cases. But buying on eBay is safe while selling is not.

Since you have a lifetime Premiere, it's quite plausible you would want to cancel an annual subscription HD so just tell them that's what you want to do.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
naranja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee...not totally clear. Anyway that may be another option for me and once the HD is on lifetime I'll check into that further. Meanwhile I'll start brushing up on Ebay tivo pricing. Thanks again.
naranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by naranja View Post
Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee...not totally clear. Anyway that may be another option for me and once the HD is on lifetime I'll check into that further. Meanwhile I'll start brushing up on Ebay tivo pricing. Thanks again.
So wait, if your HD breaks you can transfer the lifetime to a premiere for only $50? Do you own a hammer?
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
So wait, if your HD breaks you can transfer the lifetime to a premiere for only $50? Do you own a hammer?
I'd be sure I got that part in writing before doing anything that can't be undone.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Joe01880
I love my TiVo
 
Joe01880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by naranja View Post
Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee.
Your TiVo HD should "break" sooner rather then later, that's a good deal. See what you could get on a Roamio??
__________________

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
naranja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
I go to Lifetime in October, I'll report back on my luck upgrading then.
naranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |