TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
naranja

Best Way to Upgrade HD Tivo on $99 Year Service?

I currently have a Tivo Premiere with lifetime service and an HD Tivo that has been renewing on the $99 a year service plan. I just got the Tivo email reminding me that my hd is about to renew for a year.

I'd like to upgrade the HD to either a Premeire or the OTA capable Roamio. I'm looking for a "deal". I don't mind buying used or threatening canceling or paying up for a discounted lifetime plan. The easiest thing would be to pick up a used Premiere and replacing the HD on the $99 plan but last time I checked that wasn't an option.

Any suggestions for a plan of attack to get a newer Tivo and service cheapest way possible? or alternatively get lifetime on the HD? Thanks.
naranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by naranja View Post
I currently have a Tivo Premiere with lifetime service and an HD Tivo that has been renewing on the $99 a year service plan. I just got the Tivo email reminding me that my hd is about to renew for a year.

I'd like to upgrade the HD to either a Premeire or the OTA capable Roamio. I'm looking for a "deal". I don't mind buying used or threatening canceling or paying up for a discounted lifetime plan. The easiest thing would be to pick up a used Premiere and replacing the HD on the $99 plan but last time I checked that wasn't an option.

Any suggestions for a plan of attack to get a newer Tivo and service cheapest way possible? or alternatively get lifetime on the HD? Thanks.
Call and ask if you have enough equity in the HD to qualify for 99 lifetime, I'm sure you will.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
squint

Get the $99 lifetime on the TiVo HD and then sell it and buy a lifetime Premiere 2-tuner. Their prices on eBay have come close to converging in some cases. But buying on eBay is safe while selling is not.

Since you have a lifetime Premiere, it's quite plausible you would want to cancel an annual subscription HD so just tell them that's what you want to do.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
naranja

Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee...not totally clear. Anyway that may be another option for me and once the HD is on lifetime I'll check into that further. Meanwhile I'll start brushing up on Ebay tivo pricing. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee...not totally clear. Anyway that may be another option for me and once the HD is on lifetime I'll check into that further. Meanwhile I'll start brushing up on Ebay tivo pricing. Thanks again.
So wait, if your HD breaks you can transfer the lifetime to a premiere for only $50? Do you own a hammer?
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
So wait, if your HD breaks you can transfer the lifetime to a premiere for only $50? Do you own a hammer?
I'd be sure I got that part in writing before doing anything that can't be undone.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee.
Your TiVo HD should "break" sooner rather then later, that's a good deal. See what you could get on a Roamio??

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
naranja

I go to Lifetime in October, I'll report back on my luck upgrading then.