TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
mtm

A few basic questions

Hello, I am in the process of building a new home. I have been with DirecTV for 10+ years (have always used the DirecTV DVR's) and am going to be switching to Comcast when we move in. I have heard that the Comcast DVR's are junk, so i'm going to get 2 TiVo DVR's for our two TV's. Here are a couple questions I have:

1- What exactly do I need to connect both TiVo boxes so I can see and view the recorded shows on each box. I will have both units connected to my router, is that good enough?

2- Can each unit see the other unit, or can you only watch recorded shows on another TV from one specified unit? My DirecTV DVR's could all see each other and you could watch any recorded show on any unit. I'm hoping TiVo works the same way.

3- Only 1 coax is required even though you can have up to 4 tuners (with the high end model), correct?
mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
mtm

1 more question I have is are the standard remotes that come with the TiVo units RF capable? Both DVR's will be in closed cabinets.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
bshrock

1. Yes, Networking is the same as a home PC.

2. Yes and No. Comcast may block some channels like HBO from being copied to another room You may be able to stream the show between the Series 4 TiVo's (Premieres, Elite). Be sure to go to TiVo.com My Account -> DVR Preferences and enable both the networking options for your 2 TiVo's.

3 Yes, the Elite (Premiere XL4) only has one coax input.

4 No, the standard remote is Infrared. The TiVo Slide Remote uses Bluetooth®.

Last edited by bshrock : 07-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

This assumes you are buying premieres.

1- hardwired ethernet is all they need to connect. Wireless can work, and does for many, but hardwired is best overall. The new unit (4XL) can use MOCA. There is a new box on the way that would act as a client for content on a second TV. You may want to read around the forums for that.
2- You will have MRS and MRV- MRS is streaming between each box (which the new one will utilize) and MRV will allow transferring between each. You can also view content from your home network and archive *some* content off of your tivos to the network.
3- Yes.
4- No. Though there is an option to get the bluetooth slider remote (awesome) and to use iOS or an Android apps though your network.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
mtm

Thanks for the answers! As for the standard remote not being RF capable, I assume there has to be some kind of sensor I can buy, isn't there? The unit in our bedroom will be in the closet and the wires connecting it to the TV will be run through the walls.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Thanks for the answers! As for the standard remote not being RF capable, I assume there has to be some kind of sensor I can buy, isn't there? The unit in our bedroom will be in the closet and the wires connecting it to the TV will be run through the walls.
There's supposed to be some sort of RF conversion kit for the remote that replaces one of the batteries with a combo rechargeable battery and transmitter.

It's on the TiVo web site somewhere.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's supposed to be some sort of RF conversion kit for the remote that replaces one of the batteries with a combo rechargeable battery and transmitter.

It's on the TiVo web site somewhere.
Like this one Wireless RF Remote Control Extender $50 third item from the bottom of the page.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Check to see if your cable system uses SDV, which means you will need a Tuning Adapter to receive all your channels. The most commonly used TA box (Cisco STA1520) is 7" x 12" x 2" and runs very hot (i.e., you have to leave several inches of well ventilated space above it). Usually the TA is furnished free and you can do a self-install of both it and the CableCARD that TiVo needs. But don't count on your cable co diligently making you aware of all this -- you may have to search their web site and/or ask some questions. I would advise against locating your TA (or TiVo) in hard-to-reach places. If you don't have to occasionally power-cycle your TA and cycle its USB connection to the TiVo to regain all your channels, you will be among the lucky few.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
CreepinDeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
2. Yes and No. Comcast may block some channels like HBO from being copied to another room
That's interesting. I work for them as a plant engineer and wasn't aware of that.
CreepinDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepinDeth View Post
That's interesting. I work for them as a plant engineer and wasn't aware of that.
Welcome to the TiVo Community, I anticipate that you will be getting a lot of questions.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Wait, is that really true?

I thought that when a cable company "used SDV", that most channels (the most popular presumably) were still on regular assigned QAM channels and available through CableCard, and only SOME were only available via SDV.

I seem to remember that being anecdotally shown by some people having problems with their tuning adapter, but still being able to receive the cablecard-selected channels...

Anyway, if that is right, if people can figure out WHICH channels are SDV-only, if they don't care about those, they can do without the tuning adapter.. at least for now...? That is, be able to do without its unreliability (for some).. Just like how I used analog-only for a long time even though I was technically getting digital.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wait, is that really true?

I thought that when a cable company "used SDV", that most channels (the most popular presumably) were still on regular assigned QAM channels and available through CableCard, and only SOME were only available via SDV.

I seem to remember that being anecdotally shown by some people having problems with their tuning adapter, but still being able to receive the cablecard-selected channels...

Anyway, if that is right, if people can figure out WHICH channels are SDV-only, if they don't care about those, they can do without the tuning adapter.. at least for now...? That is, be able to do without its unreliability (for some).. Just like how I used analog-only for a long time even though I was technically getting digital.

When he said "all your channels", he didn't mean "any of your channels at all", but rather that "without a tuning adapter you will not receive all of your channels, but only some of them".

Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When he said "all your channels", he didn't mean "any of your channels at all", but rather that "without a tuning adapter you will not receive all of your channels, but only some of them".
Correct. About two thirds of my HD channels are SDV, including many that are "most popular" to me. If you're lucky, your cable co will tell you which ones are SDV. But this is information that their "normal" customers never ask about so they may not have a list handy to give you. Once you have a TiVo set up with a TA, you can tell if a channel is SDV by tuning it then going into the Tuning Adapter diagnostic screens (very tedious if you want a complete survey of all channels, and obviously not possible if you don't have a TA). If you post your location, it's possible another TiVo user in that same system can tell you something about which channels are SDV. Maybe you will get lucky and find your system doesn't use SDV. Unfortunately the trend is increasing adoption of SDV.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
unitron

Ain't it funny how they have the technology to do SDV, but not a la carte?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
classicsat
Astute User

Ala-carte does not need special technology, as it not being is not a technological problem, but is one purely business/contractual related.
The could have had ala-carte when individual cable boxes could be authorized for individual channels.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Ala-carte does not need special technology, as it not being is not a technological problem, but is one purely business/contractual related.
The could have had ala-carte when individual cable boxes could be authorized for individual channels.
html really needs a sarcasm tag.