Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonandjennifer View Post
mine is the tivo tcd648250B, so i need a tivo hard drive from one of them to be plug and play?
When you checked the power supply for the capacitor issues, did you use a multimeter to check the power being output on the black, red, orange asnd yellow?

In order to check the hard drive, you need to remove it from the tivo and attach it to a sata port on a computer and use the western digital diagnostics to test the drive. If bad, you can replace the drive with an already loaded with software drive or you can save some money by buying a blank drive and loading an image using instructions and software available on this forum.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
poppagene
User

Quote:
i dont think we have cable cards. i live in southern maryland and have metrocast cable.
In order to receive digital cable through the tivo from metrocast, you need to have cable cards. From metrocasts web site:

http://www.metrocast.com/faqs.cfm?faqCatId=16

What is CableCARD?

A CableCARD is a small device that, when installed into a digital cable ready television or other retail device, allows you to access digital cable services without the need for a digital converter.

Why is MetroCast offering CableCARDs?

MetroCast is committed to supporting CableCARD retail devices. By supporting CableCARDs, MetroCast is able to provide you with more choice.

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

CableCARDs can be leased from MetroCast for a monthly fee of $2.95 per CableCARD.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #33
unitron

Quote:
i dont think we have cable cards. i live in southern maryland and have metrocast cable.
Dude, your area's Craigslist sucks as bad as mine.

Before you buy a not necessarily necessary hard drive that might not fix your problem, do you have access to a voltmeter?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #34
jasonandjennifer

ok, for my info ive found a TCD658000 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160914341589

whats the difference with that and my 8250B b? usually my series 3 has the larger hard drive than the hd, but this one is an xl and is 1tb, 4x the size of mine. what has the faster menu's better sound, etc etc.
jasonandjennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #35
jasonandjennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Dude, your area's Craigslist sucks as bad as mine.

Before you buy a not necessarily necessary hard drive that might not fix your problem, do you have access to a voltmeter?
well i dont know about the testing stuff, but i just bought a used working 8250B tivo without lifetime for $100 on ebay. i'll try swapping the hard drive. according to weaknees, that's probably it when stuck on the welcome screen. if not, i'll have a working power supply to try and will sell the remaining parts on ebay at a loss. i figure this will net me less cost than any other plan.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
well i dont know about the testing stuff, but i just bought a used working 8250B tivo without lifetime for $100 on ebay. i'll try swapping the hard drive. according to weaknees, that's probably it when stuck on the welcome screen. if not, i'll have a working power supply to try and will sell the remaining parts on ebay at a loss. i figure this will net me less cost than any other plan.
So you're buying the 648 (same model as yours) instead of the S3 HD XL?

When you get it, start by making sure it works. That is, that it boots as far as the menus.

Then swap power supplies. See how your original unit works with the other supply. See if your original supply fails at getting the new one booted all the way.

If the problem moves with the power supply, the power supply was the problem.

If it does something else, post back and tell us what.

If you do swap the new drive in (don't put the old drive in the new TiVo), it will boot and probably complain when it finds that the TiVo Service Number of which it has a record is not the one your old motherboard is reporting.

It might say something about error 51, or it might just "green screen" and say it needs about 3 hours to fix something.

Let it do so. This is normal in a hard drive transplant or installation of a new image from a different TiVo of the same model number.

If I'd known you wanted to throw money around I'd have told you to ship it to me for a diagnosis.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
ok, for my info ive found a TCD658000 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160914341589

whats the difference with that and my 8250B b? usually my series 3 has the larger hard drive than the hd, but this one is an xl and is 1tb, 4x the size of mine. what has the faster menu's better sound, etc etc.
The difference is, there are 3 models that were produced under the Series III platform.
The original Series 3 w/ OLED display, the S3 HD (commonly referred to as a TivoHD), and the S3 HD XL (TivoHDXL).
The software is slightly different for each model.
If you swap hard drives between Tivos, you need to make sure the hard drive you're swapping in comes from another of the same model number.

Edit:
Series 3 w/ OLED = TCD648250
TivoHD = TCD652160
TivoHDXL = TCD658000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #38
jasonandjennifer

Quote:
So you're buying the 648 (same model as yours) instead of the S3 HD XL?

When you get it, start by making sure it works. That is, that it boots as far as the menus. OK

Then swap power supplies. See how your original unit works with the other supply. See if your original supply fails at getting the new one booted all the way. REALLY? I WAS GONNA START WITH THE HARD DRIVE AS THAT'S WHAT WEAKNEES DIAGNOSTIC FORUMS SAID WHEN ITS STUCK ON POWERING UP SCREEN.

If the problem moves with the power supply, the power supply was the problem. THE HARD DRIVE LOOKS MUCH MUCH EASIER TO SWAP OUT TO ME.

If it does something else, post back and tell us what.

If you do swap the new drive in (don't put the old drive in the new TiVo)---HUH? DONT PUT MY LIFETIME TIVOS DRIVE INTO THE PARTS TIVO? WHY WOULD I HAVE DONE THAT? IM USING THIS NEW TIVO SIMPLY FOR PARTS TO GET MY LIFETIME TIVO WORKING AGAIN, it will boot and probably complain when it finds that the TiVo Service Number of which it has a record is not the one your old motherboard is reporting. OH I DIDN'T KNOW THAT

It might say something about error 51, or it might just "green screen" and say it needs about 3 hours to fix something. OK

Let it do so. SO WHEN I SWAP THE "PARTS" HARD DRIVE INTO MY "LIFETIME TIVO" IT WONT RECOGNIZE THE HARD DRIVE BUT IT CAN DO A FIX AND THUS WILL WORK FINE AFTER A FEW HOURS? This is normal in a hard drive transplant or installation of a new image from a different TiVo of the same model number.

If I'd known you wanted to throw money around I'd have told you to ship it to me for a diagnosis. IF I HAD KNOWN OF A BETTER OPTION THAN WEAKNEES I POSSIBLY WOULD HAVE.
SEE ABOVE, MY REPLY IS MIXED IN WITH ALL CAPS. ALSO I DONT THINK IM UNNECESSARILY THROWING MONEY AROUND. I COULDN'T FIND A HARD DRIVE BY ITSELF FOR LESS THAN $100, BUT BY BUYING A WORKING TIVO, I HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND A POWER SUPPLY, SO I CAN FIX WHATEVER THE PROBLEM IS, AND KEEP THE OTHER AS A SPARE PART OR SELL IT ON EBAY.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #39
cannonz

Is odd both this guy and dvrdude have no drives for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-S3-Seri...Recorders&hash
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
unitron

Quote:
SEE ABOVE, MY REPLY IS MIXED IN WITH ALL CAPS. ALSO I DONT THINK IM UNNECESSARILY THROWING MONEY AROUND. I COULDN'T FIND A HARD DRIVE BY ITSELF FOR LESS THAN $100, BUT BY BUYING A WORKING TIVO, I HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND A POWER SUPPLY, SO I CAN FIX WHATEVER THE PROBLEM IS, AND KEEP THE OTHER AS A SPARE PART OR SELL IT ON EBAY.
Okay, I probably should have included a smilie at the end of that last line.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
jasonandjennifer

me too i was still in all caps and that always comes off as yelling, lol. thanks for all the good advice. ill let you guys know when it gets in and how i fare. anyone think im crazy for spending $100 on a tivo just to rebuild my lifetime or does everyone see where im coming from?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #42
unitron

Quote:
me too i was still in all caps and that always comes off as yelling, lol. thanks for all the good advice. ill let you guys know when it gets in and how i fare. anyone think im crazy for spending $100 on a tivo just to rebuild my lifetime or does everyone see where im coming from?
It's a bit on the high side, I'd have tried to get one for $75 or under, but if you got a set of good parts for that price, not too bad.

You've got a replacement drive, a replacement power supply, a replacement front panel and OLED display, and, as a last resort, someone who knows what they're doing with surface mount devices can move the crypto chip to that other motherboard, which is a way to save the lifetime sub.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Okay, I probably should have included a smilie at the end of that last line.

Or use bold lettering instead of caps when you want to emphasize something.

Quote:
anyone think im crazy for spending $100 on a tivo just to rebuild my lifetime?
Crazy? Nope. It's a lot cheaper than buying individual components as the parts are interchangeable. I would do the same thing just to keep the lifetime sub active.

However, I would only consider it a temporary fix. How long can you expect a "used" part to last? It's a crapshoot. Especially now that we know that S3 power supplies are starting to suffer from capacitor plague.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 11-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #44
jasonandjennifer

ok, so heres the deal. FIXED IT. no wait. fixed it! lol. its running and all that but if i try to go into my "now playing list" it just farts and says "A hardware problem has been detected which needs your attention. Until this problem is fixed, you will not be able to record programs or watch recordings. You will need to restart the Tivo digital media recorder now." ive reset it twice to no avail. what is my next step after an error 51?

Last edited by jasonandjennifer : 11-15-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #45
unitron

Quote:
ok, so heres the deal. FIXED IT. no wait. fixed it! lol. its running and all that but if i try to go into my "now playing list" it just farts and says "A hardware problem has been detected which needs your attention. Until this problem is fixed, you will not be able to record programs or watch recordings. You will need to restart the Tivo digital media recorder now." ive reset it twice to no avail. what is my next step after an error 51?
Did you put the "new" power supply in the original unit and see what happened with only that one variable changed?

'Cause it sounds like you put the other hard drive in.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #46
unitron

Quote:
Oh, yeah, if you put a drive from the same model TiVo into a TiVo, the difference in the TiVo Service Number is going to make it complain.

And it's not going to let you into the Now Playing list, because all of those recordings weren't made on that motherboard.

The menu choice for which you are looking is either clear and delete everything or repeat Guided Setup.

But before you do that, try the hard drive that came with "your" TiVo in "your" TiVo with the power supply that came with the "new" TiVo.

Then tell me what happened before you swap any more parts around.

Last edited by unitron : 11-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #47
jasonandjennifer

done. i did a clear and delete everything under "settings". everything i read online said that would fix it. thanks a million for everybodys help!