TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Closer S07E19 Last Rites (OAD: 07.30.12)

Oh my! I did not see that coming. Well, I did right when she entered the room and started talking to her, but not before that.

Those screams were very jarring as was the door slamming shut at the end.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
DeDondeEs

I knew something bad was going to happen when her mom kept saying that she wanted to talk to her for a few minutes and Brenda was always too busy. As soon as she said that she would bring the coffee to her Mom, I knew what was going to happen.

Seeing Brenda so shaken by a dead body, when she is otherwise used to it and not phased by it, was chilling.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Not sure if it was great work by the makeup artists,
or just the total lack of normal TV show makeup,
but Willie Ray looked 100% completely dead.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Good fake-out, setting up the father's death and then zapping us with the mother.

By the way, on the off-chance that I'm not the only one who didn't know, the continuation of The Closer, Major Crimes, premieres directly after the series finale of The Closer in two weeks.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Given that there are two episodes of The Closer left, and Major Crimes premieres in two weeks, I figured the premiere would follow the other finale. Glad to have that confirmed. Of course, I could've just checked my TiVo...
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I had no idea Major Crimes was premiering so soon. I figured it would be the next season of The Closer.

(Don't watch commercials; have this crazy little thing called TiVo... )
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I had no idea Major Crimes was premiering so soon. I figured it would be the next season of The Closer.

(Don't watch commercials; have this crazy little thing called TiVo... )
Yeah, the problem with the previews / ads for Major Crimes is that they show the entire cast - and two current major players are not included. That would seem to give away who the leak is in the squad (the other one is Pope and I think we can safely assume he's certainly not the leak - so no spoiler there).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Yeah, the problem with the previews / ads for Major Crimes is that they show the entire cast - and two current major players are not included. That would seem to give away who the leak is in the squad (the other one is Pope and I think we can safely assume he's certainly not the leak - so no spoiler there).
I didn't even think about looking at the cast of the new show. But you're right, I look on the website for the new show and there's one carryover missing, besides Pope. Hmm that will be interesting to see how that plays out. The whole leak thing seems to have gone to the back burner, I had all but forgotten about that.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Just speculation, but
Spoiler:
does anyone else think that Gabriel's law student girlfriend is the leak? Gabriel confides in her and she some how passes on the information to someone else.

Not so much speculation here.....

Spoiler:

Corey Reynolds who plays David Gabriel doesn't appear to be moving over to the spin off 'Major Crimes'. Could be fall out with his girlfriend possibly being the leak and could explain his absence.

Last edited by Malcontent : 08-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Spoiler:
Corey Reynolds who plays David Gabriel doesn't appear to be moving over to the spin off 'Major Crimes'. Could be fall out with his girlfriend possibly being the leak.
That is a good point Malcontent. Although I would be tempted to spoilerize that entire thought.

Spoiler:
That would make sense, as I don't see Gabriel as one who would sneak around Brenda's back like that. It would also make sense why they went out of their way to introduce the girlfriend last week.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I believe that spoiler is how it will play out,
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
ADG
Allan

That was exactly my thought, yes. It actually seemed too obvious (to me) at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ADG : 08-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Idearat

I always think of Outland when I see Frances Sternhagen in something. Since she won't be on the show anymore I had to go download and watch it.

They telegraphed something serious with her repeated attempts to speak with Brenda. Then not showing up for breakfast it was pretty obvious, so it was seen coming for a good while. What I wasn't prepared for was Brenda's wail when she realized her mother was dead.
I've heard people scream, cry, wail on-screen before, but nothing like that. Together with what seemed like a long closeup view of Willie Ray, you really felt like you were seeing her find her mother.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
GAViewer

Well
Spoiler:
If Gabriel tells his girlfriend information about what happens at work and she passes it on, then Gabriel is the leak. He wouldn't be a mole but he would be the leak.

GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Cainebj

yes they telegraphed it -
but i think i was saying out loud
no no no no no as she took her the coffee
a brilliantly chilling 90 seconds of TV brilliantly acted
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It reminded me of when Buffy's mother died...not the same reaction, but the same very stark, intense emotion, well-written, -acted, and -directed.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
DeDondeEs

Quote:
It reminded me of when Buffy's mother died...not the same reaction, but the same very stark, intense emotion, well-written, -acted, and -directed.
What! Buffy's mom died! So much for my plans to catch up on the episodes saved on my DVR.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Yup.

I cried at both...
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Howie
Out of Pocket

I'm going to miss Brenda Lee.
Howie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I'm going to miss Brenda Lee.
Brenda Lee is alive and quite well living here but Brenda Leigh will be moving on.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #21
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Late to the game and I haven't watched the next episode yet (and didn't look at the spoilers as I wasn't sure if they had to do with the missing cast member for Major Crimes or what I am thinking about the next episode), but I was wondering if Willie Ray was trying to tell Brenda Leigh that she discovered that she, too, had some kind of health issue or that Clay was REALLY not acting like himself. I would be shocked, but maybe not too surprised, if Clay had some kind of BAD reaction to his treatment and he wound up killing her.

Not as fun to speculate when the next episode has already aired, though. I blame watching WAY too much Olympics coverage and falling behind on everything else.

I pretty much figured as the breakfast scene was playing out that Willie Ray was dead, and as much as I don't care for Kyra Segwick as an actress, she nailed the reaction in that scene. Very well done!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #22
Howie
Out of Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Brenda Lee is alive and quite well living here but Brenda Leigh will be moving on.
I never even thought of it being spelled Leigh. Is Brenda Lee really still alive? I can't even remember what songs she was famous for.
Howie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
rondotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I never even thought of it being spelled Leigh. Is Brenda Lee really still alive? I can't even remember what songs she was famous for.
You've never rocked around the Christmas tree, Johnny One-Time? I"m sorry.
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote