TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Mini Tuner Question

I just got my first Mini and will be setting it up tonight. A couple of questions (yes, I searched but it seems unclear to me) came up about the tuner allocation.

I know that I would have to use one of the tuners on my XL4 to get started if I want live TV on the mini. However, I don't want to do that as I often use all of my tuners on the XL4. Can I set it up but then snag one of my Premiere tuners from another box instead? I have one Premiere that is really only for watching recordings from other Premieres and recordings from my computer. I never record TV on it so I could certainly live with it having only one available tuner.

If that cannot be accomplished, is it easy to snag a tuner from the XL4 only when I need it? Probably 99% of the time the mini will be used to watch recordings from my XL4, but I might want to watch the news or a football game on it from time to time. Is that something that can be done and then changed back quickly?

Thanks in advance for the info.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can only link the Mini to a 4 tuner or six tuner TiVo. With the XL4 you have to tell it to reserve a tuner for it to be able to have the Mini use a Tuner. Once DTA is implemented on the XL4 though you won't have that issue.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

For right now on the XL4, if a tuner is selected to be given to a Mini it stays with the Mini (a 4-tuner box becomes a 3-tuner box). The tuner can be reclaimed manually if you go into the XL4 settings and choose not to give up any tuners. But that might be a pain in the butt after so many times. The Fall software update will fix this and only borrow the tuner temporarily.

In the meantime, if you really don't want to give up any tuners, a work-around trick would be to use the Mini to start a recording, and then stream the recording instead. No hijacked tuner.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
wmhjr

The other thing to watch out for as far as DTA on Premieres, is the way it has been apparently be implemented on Roamios. Because of how it's just "sort of" dynamic, I would not expect it to necessarily be a positive impact on the Premiere. I have some very very real concerns after what I've read with the Roamio. Their particular implementation isn't terrible with a 6 tuner box, but with a 4 tuner box it would be very problematic.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
pillpusher84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
For right now on the XL4, if a tuner is selected to be given to a Mini it stays with the Mini (a 4-tuner box becomes a 3-tuner box). The tuner can be reclaimed manually if you go into the XL4 settings and choose not to give up any tuners. But that might be a pain in the butt after so many times. The Fall software update will fix this and only borrow the tuner temporarily.

In the meantime, if you really don't want to give up any tuners, a work-around trick would be to use the Mini to start a recording, and then stream the recording instead. No hijacked tuner.
As of 12/10/13 ... is the Premiere XL4 able to do Dynamic Tuner Allocation?
pillpusher84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
As of 12/10/13 ... is the Premiere XL4 able to do Dynamic Tuner Allocation?
yes.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote