Originally Posted by cbpowers
for whatever reason, TiVo can't see/reach TiVo Desktop
This happens to me intermittently as well. If I start the TiVo Desktop server but the PC doesn't appear in the My Shows list, I've gotten into the habit of going through this sequence:
1. From Live TV, press TiVo to go TiVo Central
2. Highlight "Music, Photos & Showcases" and press Select
3. Scroll down and highlight your PC's IP address then press Clear to remove it (skip to step 5 if no IP is shown)
4. Refresh the UI by pressing TiVo to go back to TiVo Central then highlight & select "Music, Photos & Showcases"
5. Scroll down to "Manually add a server"
6. Enter your PC's IP address (found by accessing your internet router's home network settings) then highlight & select "Add Server to List"
7. Stay on the "Music, Photos & Showcases" page for about 10 seconds while the TiVo establishes a connection with your PC. You may see the list "flicker" as your PC's music and photos are added as new options on the list if you enabled access to them in TiVo Desktop settings.
8. Press TiVo twice to go to My Shows and scroll down to the bottom to see if your PC shows up as an external server. If not, repeat the process but wait up to 30 seconds on step 7 while the TiVo establishes a connection with your PC. It could take multiple attempts but shouldn't take more than three tries.
This procedure has worked successfully for me whenever I start/resume the TiVo Desktop server but don't see my PC as an external server in the My Shows list.
Sometimes simply waiting on the "Music, Photos & Showcases" page without going through the whole sequence of re-entering the PC's IP address will re-establish the connection.