TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Auggie

Premier not recording SP's and deleting KUID's

Been a TiVo user since 1999 so I know the rhythms of a TiVo. In the past few months my nearly year-old Premiere unit has been acting up. At first I thought it was just me, but it's clearly something worse.

I first noticed in August when the unit decided not to record any episode of the SP that I had set for 'Boss' beyond episode 3. And episodes of This Old House also seemed to appear on the SP list, but then not record at all.

Then I began to notice KUID recordings disappearing altogether, even though the unit showed ample disk space for new stuff.

One episode of Bill Maher inexplicably recorded for only 10 minutes before self-terminating.

Again last night I found my half-watched 'Stones documentary recording deleted, and my wife groused about a missing Cowboy cheerleader episode that recorded 10 days ago.

And, the Recording History that would give any clues as to the demise of these recordings is empty, devoid of not only these incidents, but anything I deleted after watching this past weekend.

We watch very little so this is not a capacity issue unless TiVo is indeed not ridding itself of these older recordings. And nothing in our recording habits has changed. In fact, we're probably watching less TV now than ever before.

This behavior is rendering my TiVo virtually worthless. Maybe it's time to switch to the cable company's DVR and save some bucks.
Auggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
bshrock

If you are watching less TV now then the drive would be filling up. How much free space does the FSI indicate.

Have you run any of the KickStarts yet?

What version of software, did you get the update?

I understand that if most your recordings are KUID that can cause problems also.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Auggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
If you are watching less TV now then the drive would be filling up.
We are recording less.

Quote:
How much free space does the FSI indicate.
Typically in the 50-60% range with a dozen future recordings in the To Do List at any given time.

Quote:
Have you run any of the KickStarts yet?
What's a KickStart?

Quote:
What version of software, did you get the update?
Version 20.2.1.2-01-2-746. Not sure if I have an update.

Quote:
I understand that if most your recordings are KUID that can cause problems also.
How so?

As I say, I've been through 4 iterations of this device over 13 years. This is new behavior that only arose in the past few months.

It seems software related.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
bshrock

There should be no problem with 50% free.

I suspect a hard disk drive issue or data corruption you should run KickStart 54 then if it passes KS-57
TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information (weaknees.com) Allow up to 24 hours for KS-54 to complete.

I have not received the upgrade yet either it is version 20.2.2 Fall Update for TiVoŽ Premiere DVRs by Margret Schmidt
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
HomeUser

Defiantly has the symptoms of data base corruption. Possible causes could of been a sudden power failure or a failing HDD. Run the Hard Drive Test (Kick Start 54) first. If the test fails do not run any other tests until you backup any recording you want to keep to another TiVo or PC.

See Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD for information on how to replace the HDD.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Auggie

Thanks, Jacob.

Thanks for you help jacob... Apparently I don't 'qualify' to send private messages on this forum. (must have 10 posts?)

Sorry for the delay on my end. Other issues got in the way of addressing this one.

I'm unclear which of the two steps you outlined that you would like me to try.... or both?